Date for World Cup draw July 2019 - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Date for World Cup draw July 2019

bonny78

43 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I don’t think there’s any other way it would work. 

It would mean a decent chance for us to get a playoff since we’re in League B and guaranteed to finish in the top 24 with the vast majority of the other 23 teams qualifying or reaching the playoffs in the traditional way. 

The playoffs would be a damn sight harder than what we’ll face in March next year though. 

They could piss of a lot of countries by using highest in the overall ranking (but not necessarily group winners) instead. That might hoover up any of the bigger teams who happen to slip through the cracks e.g. Netherlands at the last WC quali. It's quite unlikely they'd do that though.

10 minutes ago, bonny78 said:

There will be a normal group as well though? 

Yeah, standard quali group from March 2021- November 2021.

59 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I don’t think there’s any other way it would work. 

It would mean a decent chance for us to get a playoff since we’re in League B and guaranteed to finish in the top 24 with the vast majority of the other 23 teams qualifying or reaching the playoffs in the traditional way. 

The playoffs would be a damn sight harder than what we’ll face in March next year though. 

The highest ranked group winners so the fact we are in the top 24 is irrelevant unless we win our group surely. So will more likely lead to group winners from lower leagues.

5 minutes ago, paper_lion said:

They could piss of a lot of countries by using highest in the overall ranking (but not necessarily group winners) instead. That might hoover up any of the bigger teams who happen to slip through the cracks e.g. Netherlands at the last WC quali. It's quite unlikely they'd do that though.

That’s similar to how the playoffs for Euro 2020 will work though. There will likely be a couple of teams who finished bottom of their group in Leagues A or B who will be in the mix next March. 

Ok so all group winners will be in the playoffs if they need one but plenty of group runners up from Leagues C and D will miss out while some relegated teams from Leagues A/B will be in the playoffs. 

1 hour ago, paper_lion said:

Yeah, standard quali group from March 2021- November 2021.

It's September 2020 is it not? 

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

The highest ranked group winners so the fact we are in the top 24 is irrelevant unless we win our group surely. So will more likely lead to group winners from lower leagues.

If it’s the highest ranked group winners then yes you’re correct. I missed where it stated that. 

That would mean a runner up from League A who finished 3rd in their qualifying group wouldn’t make the playoffs with the potential of a League C team like Israel making them if they win their group. Not sure UEFA would go for that. 

I've just realised the draw might not be held until November 2020. The next NL finals tournament will be during WC qualifying so they'll have to put the teams who reach it in 5 team groups again. Assuming they are definitely going for 10 groups.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
13 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

It is now August, any news on when this World Cup qualifying draw may happen? Seeing the post above about how UEFA will incorporate the Nations Leagues makes me thing it wont be until October. 

It seems to be that when in the past FIFA drew the whole thing, this time around they seem to be letting the individual administrative body do their own draw (draw for AFC has already taken place).

Think UEFA are determined for the Nations League to continue, and probably banking on world cup expansion, but now finding it complex to juggle the two formats into one that keeps everything competitive. 

7 minutes ago, wanderer said:

It seems to be that when in the past FIFA drew the whole thing, this time around they seem to be letting the individual administrative body do their own draw (draw for AFC has already taken place).

Think UEFA are determined for the Nations League to continue, and probably banking on world cup expansion, but now finding it complex to juggle the two formats into one that keeps everything competitive. 

In fifa we trust 

1 hour ago, romanticscot said:

It is now August, any news on when this World Cup qualifying draw may happen? Seeing the post above about how UEFA will incorporate the Nations Leagues makes me thing it wont be until October. 

Seems as if there will be two teams from the Nations League, who will be in the play-off round against the ten group runners-up. Two knockout rounds, with the three remaining teams qualifying. I imagine it will be the best two Nations League teams who haven't reached the play-offs (or automatically qualified). To be confirmed in late September though.

I like that the runners up in the groups still earn something - dumping all play off berths to the nations league is not something I wanted.  It means that with a favorable group we don't have the heart ache at the initial draw thinking well screw it, nations league is our best hope to get to the play off, we can fight for 2nd.  Lets face it, if it was Nations League catered for all Play off spots and if we had Spain and the Netherlands in our group I would not be kidding myself that finishing 1st was anything but pure fantasy.  

Edited by romanticscot

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
9 minutes ago, Bonny79 said:

Still no info 😒😒

I'm pretty sure the draw won't be until the Nations League group stage has ended in November this year as the four group winners from League A will need to go into smaller groups as they won't be available for qualifiers in June 2021.

The draw for the Nations League will take place on 3rd of March so there isn't long to wait for that.