Date for World Cup draw July 2019 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Date for World Cup draw July 2019

bonny78

• 2 weeks later...

Many might not realize that the qualifying draw for the 2022 World cup is in July, It's not clear the criteria that will result in the pot's teams will be in, but I imagine the FIFA world rankings will be involved, our dumb result on Thursday will affect our ranking, maybe not significantly but in order to be in the best position to affect not only this tournament; the 2020 EURO's but the prospects for World Cup qualification also.  Currently, we are ranked 24th in UEFA which could have us as a pot 3 team, if we slip into 4th it further compounds our woe's and makes these EURO's all the more important.  The World Cup in Qatar may be expanded if they can come to an agreement with neighboring nations to see the tournament expanded to more teams, currently UEFA has 13 slots , with a possible 15 if the expansion happens.  

We have 3 match days between now and July, we "expect"*  6 points but the game with Belgium any points picked up will help but maybe not to move our position.   

Turkey, Iceland, North Ireland, Czech Republic are all teams we are surrounded by, we need to be in the 3rd pot. 

Should there be 9 groups again, we need to be within the top 27 teams in UEFA. 

* - We demand 6 points but with the current team playing as they are it could be far worse. 

Edited by romanticscot

1 hour ago, romanticscot said:

I imagine the FIFA world rankings will be involved

It almost certainly will be based on the FIFA rankings. We've dropped down to 26th in Europe as a result of the Kazakhstan game (joint with Czech Republic and Montenegro).

2 hours ago, romanticscot said:

Many might not realize that the qualifying draw for the 2022 World cup is in July, It's not clear the criteria that will result in the pot's teams will be in, but I imagine the FIFA world rankings will be involved, our dumb result on Thursday will affect our ranking, maybe not significantly but in order to be in the best position to affect not only this tournament; the 2020 EURO's but the prospects for World Cup qualification also.  Currently, we are ranked 24th in UEFA which could have us as a pot 3 team, if we slip into 4th it further compounds our woe's and makes these EURO's all the more important.  The World Cup in Qatar may be expanded if they can come to an agreement with neighboring nations to see the tournament expanded to more teams, currently UEFA has 13 slots , with a possible 15 if the expansion happens.  

We have 3 match days between now and July, we "expect"*  6 points but the game with Belgium any points picked up will help but maybe not to move our position.   

Turkey, Iceland, North Ireland, Czech Republic are all teams we are surrounded by, we need to be in the 3rd pot. 

Should there be 9 groups again, we need to be within the top 27 teams in UEFA. 

* - We demand 6 points but with the current team playing as they are it could be far worse. 

3rd spot... very hopeful there. Cyprus will take points off us and we are taking a big fat 0 from both belgium and russia games. So i am very worried about finishing 3rd

My thoughts are turning to the World Cup draw once again. Looking at the ELO rankings, we have dropped 8 places and currently 27th in UEFA. My back of the napkin sums has Cyprus a must win in terms of securing a pot 3 berth for the draw.

If there are 9 UEFA grouls like the last two world cups, we can't drop out of the top 27 spots.

Does anyone have a better grasp of this stuff and can comment? I have a win being approx 200 points but I am no way certain about that. 

It's very difficult to qualify for WCs nowadays.

Look at last euros, likes of Wales and Norn Iron had time of their lives and neither made it to World cup. Think Iceland were only ones to do it from the outsiders.

Let's say 13 places remain. You have France, Germany, Spain, England and probably Portugal who are locks. Remember Italy and Holland missed out last time and I'd say both won't make that mistake. Croatia are getting old now but another you'd still expect to make it.

8/13 teams right there so for Scotland to make it you're likely to have to beat a Sweden, Swiss or Ukraine in a play off.

If Scotland can't make 24 team euros then very remote prospect of ever making a WC unless you end up in a group with weakest top seeds and then a kind second pot team (say Iceland or Romania). Then you have a decent chance if you hit the ground running which is another age old Scotland problem.

I agree Tartan Chris,  I told a pal the other day I expect us to make the next Euros by virtue of the play off, but I don't expect us to make the world cup just because it's harder to qualify for, even with the expanded slots for UEFA. I believe it's harder to qualify for, than to progress to the 2nd round on World Cups. Regardless  if we are there, I do want us to play to our best and have the best opportunity for qualifying which means being a erd pot team. 

It's expected to be delayed. Presumably due to the 32/48 team debacle that's still ongoing.

"Impacts: Timing of Preliminary Competition

As explained above, the confederations are yet to formally confirm their proposed qualification processes for the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022, and therefore no qualification processes have commenced. Moreover, whilst the FIMC currently stipulates that the preliminary draw shall be staged in July 2019, the timing is currently under review, with both the structure and timing of the draw expected to change."

https://resources.fifa.com/image/upload/idhwq1ychz15wifipcna.pdf

24 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

Cack, we will have to make sure we climb these rankings, we are currently 26th in Europe, regardless of the size of the world cup I don't expect the size of UEFA qualifying groups to change from 9.

the rankings will change after June.  The draw will be before september's game i assume?

I could be wrong but the world cup draw could still be a fair while away. Unsure if it has been confirmed yet but I was under the impression that we would be playing another nations league campaign in the 2nd half of 2020 then the world cup qualifiers would be in 2021.

On 4/18/2019 at 7:28 AM, GordonC said:

I could be wrong but the world cup draw could still be a fair while away. Unsure if it has been confirmed yet but I was under the impression that we would be playing another nations league campaign in the 2nd half of 2020 then the world cup qualifiers would be in 2021.

I guess it depends how UEFA want to set up the qualification. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the individual confederations get to set their own qualifying method as long as FIFA give it the OK and they use the FIFA rankings for seeding. The nations league will be played again next year and if UEFA want to incorporate it into WC qualifying (i.e. similar to Euro 2020 with the play-off positions) then they will need advanced notice of how many WC spots are available to Europe.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, bonny78 said:

maybe there is no world cup happening

There was news today. It's probably worth checking the Kassiesa national team forums if you want regular updates on this.

https://apnews.com/d30c09518ce940ac8e86a8f04c34dee3

PARIS (AP) — European teams will get a qualifying path to the 2022 World Cup via the Nations League competition.

UEFA is preparing a qualifying format that should see teams earn places in the playoffs by winning a Nations League group in 2020.

“It will be part of the plan that the Nations League will fit in,” UEFA’s competitions expert Giorgio Marchetti told The Associated Press on Tuesday.

The 55 European national teams will compete for 13 places in the 32-team World Cup lineup in Qatar. Ten places will be earned by winners of the traditional qualifying groups played in 2021.

That leaves three World Cup entries to be allocated in playoffs.

“Obviously we will have to include in the playoffs all the runners-up in the 10 groups,” Marchetti said.

One option is adding two teams based on their Nations League results to create a 12-team playoffs with two knockout rounds, where three winners advance to the 2022 World Cup.

Marchetti said UEFA expects to finalize its World Cup qualifying format in September. The national team competitions panel is scheduled to meet before a UEFA executive committee session on Sept. 24 in Ljubljana, Slovenia

As I said on another forum, the date of the draw itself may well be pushed back until after the Euro qualifying. There'll be a draw for the home teams of the Euro playoff finals at some point, so maybe they'll just do the WC draw on the same day.

As someone above said, we're #26 in Europe now which is firmly into the 3rd seeds. Very unlikely to be a #2 seed. Talking of #2 seeds, they're all over the place. I'd cry if we got Netherlands/Italy when teams like Rep.Ireland are sitting in the same pot.

I'm not really sure how they pick 2 teams out of the Nations League. Maybe the 2 highest ranked group winners not already in the playoffs or something?

10 minutes ago, paper_lion said:

I'm not really sure how they pick 2 teams out of the Nations League. Maybe the 2 highest ranked group winners not already in the playoffs or something?

I don’t think there’s any other way it would work. 

It would mean a decent chance for us to get a playoff since we’re in League B and guaranteed to finish in the top 24 with the vast majority of the other 23 teams qualifying or reaching the playoffs in the traditional way. 

The playoffs would be a damn sight harder than what we’ll face in March next year though.