UEFA Euro 2020 Qualifier Tracker - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

UEFA Euro 2020 Qualifier Tracker

romanticscot

8 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

I do find it bizarre that winning nations league groups give all sorts of play off chances and yet the winners don't get an automatic berth so feasibly Portugal or Holland could miss out on qualifying however remote that looks atm.

They would still get a playoff though likely against a side ranked much lower than them as they also win their Nations League groups. The Nations League and European Championships are two completely separate tournaments. They are only connected in that the NL determines the playoffs for the Euros.  

You can’t just give the winners of the Nations League a spot at the European Championship finals. There are only 12 teams that can win the Nations League when it starts so it wouldn’t be fair on teams from Leagues B, C and D and would be seen as ‘looking after the big teams’. 

2 hours ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

I wouldn’t say it’s highly likely Portugal will qualify through their group.

If they get beat from Serbia away they probably won’t get top 2. And if they draw they’ll have to match Serbia’s results...Serbia have a home game against Ukraine and Portugal have an away game against Ukraine. 

That group is incredibly tight. 

Portugal will qualify from their group. I’ll be astounded if they don’t and will buy everyone on here a pint if they are in the playoffs next March. 

1 hour ago, killiefaetheferry said:

But today’s results don’t give any additional advantage in terms of qualification? 

I thought you were a teacher? 

How many time do you need telt? ;) No, the Nations League Finals have nothing whatsoever to do with qualifying? They are there to decide who wins the Nations League.

37 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

They would still get a playoff though likely against a side ranked much lower than them as they also win their Nations League groups. The Nations League and European Championships are two completely separate tournaments. They are only connected in that the NL determines the playoffs for the Euros.  

You can’t just give the winners of the Nations League a spot at the European Championship finals. There are only 12 teams that can win the Nations League when it starts so it wouldn’t be fair on teams from Leagues B, C and D and would be seen as ‘looking after the big teams’. 

That's never bothered them before.

41 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I thought you were a teacher? 

How many time do you need telt? ;) No, the Nations League Finals have nothing whatsoever to do with qualifying? They are there to decide who wins the Nations League.

You can always tell a teacher. Ye jist cannae tell them much 😎. I blame end of term fatigue. Really looking forward to my well earned 7 weeks off this summer 😉

4 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

You can always tell a teacher. Ye jist cannae tell them much 😎. I blame end of term fatigue. Really looking forward to my well earned 7 weeks off this summer 😉

Aye, and you'll still moan like fuk aboot being overworked. Or, have you not done that part of the training yet?:lol:

7 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Aye, and you'll still moan like fuk aboot being overworked. Or, have you not done that part of the training yet?:lol:

Oh I’m fully trained and registered now with my own class and everything. Still concentrating on moaning about being underpaid for now but I’ll get stuck into a good grump about the terrible overworking if I bump into you over the long summer holidays 👍😎

48 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

I should know better but I am getting my hopes up again, if we got 3 points v Belgium, 4 points v Russia and won everything else, barring Russia beating Belgium we would finish 2nd. 

If we get 3 points off Belgium I’ll eat my own pants. I may well have said that before the game in Paris 12 years ago right enough. 

8 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

I know, it's not very likely. Still, one game at a time, get our confidence up, work on set pieces and better crossing and who knows the kind of team we can be in 8 months time.

Indeed. 

Clarke is off to a better start than Michael O’Neill had with Northern Ireland and look what he’s achieved. 

If we can have two good performances next March then we could be in for a party in Glasgow in June. These next 7 games are all about getting prepared for the playoffs. If we somehow manage to get 2nd place that would be a massive bonus. 

20 hours ago, romanticscot said:

I should know better but I am getting my hopes up again, if we got 3 points v Belgium, 4 points v Russia and won everything else, barring Russia beating Belgium we would finish 2nd. 

3 points v Belgium???  You having a Turkish saaannn!! 

On 6/9/2019 at 12:33 PM, Tartan Chris said:

I do find it bizarre that winning nations league groups give all sorts of play off chances and yet the winners don't get an automatic berth so feasibly Portugal or Holland could miss out on qualifying however remote that looks atm.

I get your point but this way they get to play competitive games and if they do miss out, they get a second chance against teams they really should beat - and if they don't, they shouldn't be at the finals.

If qualifying ended now, Portugal would be out of the top 2 and the play-offs would look like this (I think) -

• League A - Portugal v Slovakia; Netherlands v Iceland.
  • League B - Bosnia v Wales; Denmark v Austria.
  • League C - Scotland v Bulgaria; Norway v Serbia.
  • League D - Georgia v Belarus; Macedonia v Kosovo.

League A looks tougher because Portugal and Netherlands have played less matches due to playing in the finals.  Luxembourg and Northern Ireland are currently above them in their respective groups.

If all the other groups stayed the same, but Portugal and Netherlands moved into the top 2 at the expense of Luxembourg and Northern Ireland (who then finish 3rd), the play-offs would be -

• League A - Iceland v Romania; Slovakia v Northern Ireland.
  • League B - Bosnia v Wales; Denmark v Austria.
  • League C - Scotland v Bulgaria; Norway v Serbia.
  • League D - Georgia v Belarus; Macedonia v Kosovo.

On 6/9/2019 at 12:33 PM, Tartan Chris said:

They are already getting two chances of qualifying. They are unlikely to need three goes at it. If they are so pish that they need three goes, then they should be close to Scotland's level and would have no chance of winning the Nations League in the first place.

4 hours ago, Orraloon said:

They are already getting two chances of qualifying. They are unlikely to need three goes at it. If they are so pish that they need three goes, then they should be close to Scotland's level and would have no chance of winning the Nations League in the first place.

They are so pish they'd have actually won the whole thing!

It could happen, Portugal won euro 2016 yet are usually poor at actually qualifying for the actual tournaments, often need the safety need of a play off to make it.

Anyway Bulgaria are certainly going to be in the March play offs, losing 0-1 at home to Kosovo so they're no great shakes.

Was actually surprised Israel are in 2nd in their group (ahead of Austria and Slovenia). Never quite got the hysteria after losing the away game there narrowly.

29 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

Was actually surprised Israel are in 2nd in their group (ahead of Austria and Slovenia). Never quite got the hysteria after losing the away game there narrowly.

You didn't watch the game I take it ,we were totally and utterly hammered. It was the worst performance in the history of Scottish football. 9-0 wouldn't have flattered Israel.

17 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

You didn't watch the game I take it ,we were totally and utterly hammered. It was the worst performance in the history of Scottish football. 9-0 wouldn't have flattered Israel.

When did the red card happen?

No way to me it was worse than Astana given Israel have a few player who play in good leagues....Kayal etc.

12 hours ago, Tartan Chris said:

It could happen, Portugal won euro 2016 yet are usually poor at actually qualifying for the actual tournaments, often need the safety need of a play off to make it.

They have already earned a playoff spot if they need it. You want to give them a third go at for winning the Nations League. That would be a step too far even for UEFA.

Edited by Orraloon