UEFA Euro 2020 Qualifier Tracker - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

UEFA Euro 2020 Qualifier Tracker

romanticscot

21 hours ago, Clyde1998 said:

Annoyingly, Ukraine beat Luxembourg in stoppage time avoid dropping points there - which would've made things easier for Serbia going forward. The Serbs held on to draw in Portugal - which is certainly points gained for them.

Seems to be some suggestion that Ukraine may have fielded an ineligible player in both their games against Portugal and Luxembourg.....be interesting to see how that pans out as they'd be given 2 losses if found guilty of it. 

Wow - Sweden were 2-0 down in Norway and have just scored twice in the last few minutes to win 3-2.

You can now pencil Norway in to our play off scenario, no chance they will recover from this and qualify automatically!  In my view only Serbia could potentially qualify automatically from the League of Nations C play off teams so going to be looking at Scotland / Norway / Finland + 1 of Serbia/Bulgaria/Israel. 

Edit..... Norway 96th minute equalizer now 3-3.

Edited by magicTs

Norway have drawn 3-3 with Sweden tonight in a thrilling game. Norway were 2-0 with twenty minutes to go, with Sweden turning it around to lead 3-2 in the ninety-second minute. Noway scored a ninety-seventh minute equaliser to gain a point.

Elsewhere, Finland beat Armenia 2-0 away, with Greece drawing 2-2 in Bosnia in that group.

4 minutes ago, magicTs said:

Wow - Sweden were 2-0 down in Norway and have just scored twice in the last few minutes to win 3-2.

You can now pencil Norway in to our play off scenario, no chance they will recover from this and qualify automatically!  In my view only Serbia could potentially qualify automatically from the League of Nations C play off teams so going to be looking at Scotland / Norway / Finland + 1 of Serbia/Bulgaria/Israel. 

Edit..... Norway 96th minute equalizer now 3-3.

That late Norway goal keeps them in it - a defeat in Spain and a draw against Sweden isn't a disaster if they can win their games against Romania, Malta and the Faroes (the latter two would be a surprise if they can't).

Realistically then, we're looking at Scotland / Finland / +2 of Norway/Serbia/Bulgaria/Israel/Hungary. Both Bulgaria and Israel are currently in qualification spots, with Israel the most likely of the two to actually qualify. 

4 minutes ago, Clyde1998 said:

That late Norway goal keeps them in it - a defeat in Spain and a draw against Sweden isn't a disaster if they can win their games against Romania, Malta and the Faroes (the latter two would be a surprise if they can't).

Realistically then, we're looking at Scotland / Finland / +2 of Norway/Serbia/Bulgaria/Israel/Hungary. Both Bulgaria and Israel are currently in qualification spots, with Israel the most likely of the two to actually qualify. 

Yep it does, I just think Sweden will beat them at home which will end up being a very pivotal result in that group. Israel are certainly in an interesting group and that was a huge result to beat Austria but its still the Serbs I want to see qualifying and out of the way. I genuinely, even after the week we have endured would fancy us, with a full squad to choose from and a packed Hampden to beat all the others if we were to get the final at home as well as the guaranteed semi-final. 

12 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

If we perform like we did this week we can't or won't beat teams like Albania and Israel.

It depends if it's home or away.

It's generally different at Hampden. 2-2 v England, 1-0 over Slovakia (same result as Wales had at the weekend) and the two wins in the nations league.

Norway have suffered a similar decline to Scotland when you look at the history.

Norway were really strong in the 90s, made knock outs of both 94 and 98 World cup. Qualified for Euro 2000 but went out of the groups and since then nothing while even Iceland now regularly make tournaments so similar to seeing likes of Wales and Norn Iron make tournaments now.

Would be mad if it does come down to a play off v them.

• 2 months later...
3 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

I know it's early but it already makes 2nd tricky for them as you'd expect Portugal to finish top. 

Despite tonight they will still be best team in play off. Jovic now their main striker who's just moved to Real Madrid. Physically strong, have very good record against British teams in last decade and technically excellent, would rather play Norway, Bulgaria or whoever else.

Need to get past Finland first of course...

I know there is a long way to go but at present I would guess that, out of the league C playoff teams, Finland are the most likely to qualify automatically. They are at home to Bosnia today. That result could go a long way to deciding if they can do it or not. If I was a betting man I would say none of us will qualify and the League C play offs will remain as they currently stand. 

Israel are looking good though. Maybe that away defeat wasn't as bad a result as we thought?

11 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

Do Portugal get automatic spot if they win nations tournament?

No. 

Like Scotland, they will get a playoff if they need one since they won their Nations League group. Highly unlikely they’ll need a playoff though. 

15 hours ago, Tartan Chris said:

Finland 2-0 Bosnia atm, Pukki yet again who's scored both.

Finland actually have a very decent chance of 2nd in that group with the form they're in. Who's the play off opponent if they go through automatically?

Bulgaria would be next in line. 

21 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

No. 

Like Scotland, they will get a playoff if they need one since they won their Nations League group. Highly unlikely they’ll need a playoff though. 

I wouldn’t say it’s highly likely Portugal will qualify through their group.

If they get beat from Serbia away they probably won’t get top 2. And if they draw they’ll have to match Serbia’s results...Serbia have a home game against Ukraine and Portugal have an away game against Ukraine. 

That group is incredibly tight. 

23 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

No. 

So is this 'Final' tournament just a set of friendlies marketed as a competition? Like the England v Switzerland game today; is there anything to really be gained by winning?

2 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

So is this 'Final' tournament just a set of friendlies marketed as a competition? Like the England v Switzerland game today; is there anything to really be gained by winning?

Yes, a trophy.

Not for England obviously. :lol: 

But if England had won it, it would have been the most important trophy in world football since 1966. 

1 hour ago, killiefaetheferry said:

You could say the exact same thing about the European Championship finals or World Cup finals. The winners don’t get automatic qualification to the next tournament anymore so what’s the point in playing it? It’s a tournament. That’s the point.

The winner also gets more prize money. 

13 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

But today’s results don’t give any additional advantage in terms of qualification? 

I do find it bizarre that winning nations league groups give all sorts of play off chances and yet the winners don't get an automatic berth so feasibly Portugal or Holland could miss out on qualifying however remote that looks atm.