Sevco Historical Major Trophy Count Update 2019 - Page 13 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Sevco Historical Major Trophy Count Update 2019

11 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

As a Scotland fan im really disappointed by GVB. I hoped when he came in that he would have more faith in youth but it appears that he has just continued the timeless win at all costs, ignore the future mindset thats existed forever.

Starting line up today had a CB who has decided to not sign a contract and wont be there next season. Another CB whose contract runs out in the summer and either wont be there next season or wont be a regular starter. Either could have been replaced by Leon King.

A CM who is retiring at the end of the season and another CM who has signed a 1 year extension but will be 34 at the start of next season and isnt a regular starter this season. Also an on loan winger who hasnt reguarly played and whose loan deal expires in the summer. All 3 could have been replaced by Lowry.

I appreciate that you want to put out a team to win the match however both King and Lowry have shown themselves to be more than capable. Ive heard people say they will get more game time next season but what evidence is there to suggest this? Patterson only got game time when Taviner was injured. The minute he was back Patterson was back to the bench.

Lowry and King will be given plenty of opportunities next season. The current manager uses his squad depth a lot more than the previous one. 

7 hours ago, aaid said:

So have both St Johnstone and Rangers now won more major trophies in the last 10 years than Aberdeen?

Scottish Football  is hardly unique to other top flight leagues when it comes to who wins trophies. Just looking over the last 2 seasons then the key competitions have been split evenly between 3 clubs.

Aberdeen, the third biggest club, have failed miserably  in the last 10 years.  Even worse this was in a period when Hearts and Rangers have been out of the top flight for prolonged periods. 

11 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

As a Scotland fan im really disappointed by GVB. I hoped when he came in that he would have more faith in youth but it appears that he has just continued the timeless win at all costs, ignore the future mindset thats existed forever.

Starting line up today had a CB who has decided to not sign a contract and wont be there next season. Another CB whose contract runs out in the summer and either wont be there next season or wont be a regular starter. Either could have been replaced by Leon King.

A CM who is retiring at the end of the season and another CM who has signed a 1 year extension but will be 34 at the start of next season and isnt a regular starter this season. Also an on loan winger who hasnt reguarly played and whose loan deal expires in the summer. All 3 could have been replaced by Lowry.

I appreciate that you want to put out a team to win the match however both King and Lowry have shown themselves to be more than capable. Ive heard people say they will get more game time next season but what evidence is there to suggest this? Patterson only got game time when Taviner was injured. The minute he was back Patterson was back to the bench.

For an Airdrie fan you seem awfully obsessed with a certain Glasgow team.

1 hour ago, Och Aye said:

For an Airdrie fan you seem awfully obsessed with a certain Glasgow team.

Or as a Scotland fan I seem awfully obsessed with young Scottish players getting opportunities. 

King and Lowry are too great prospects. Lowry in particular has been pretty much motm every time he has played for Rangers however isnt trusted.

And just so I know, im largely being critical of Rangers recently. Does not make me a Rangers fan or clearly a Celtic fan? Given you have to be one or the other in the brain cell of some posters.

1 hour ago, EddardStark said:

Scottish Football  is hardly unique to other top flight leagues when it comes to who wins trophies. Just looking over the last 2 seasons then the key competitions have been split evenly between 3 clubs.

Aberdeen, the third biggest club, have failed miserably  in the last 10 years.  Even worse this was in a period when Hearts and Rangers have been out of the top flight for prolonged periods. 

Aberdeen should huv won more during that period but two hinge stopped them doing so, the first was a very strong Celtic team & the second was Mcinnes, he refused to play younger players regularly preferring to play his favourites who were mostly journeymen, Mcinnes got off to a great start winning the league cup playing exciting football but within a couple of years it became safety first boring football, the last 2 or 3 years watching Aberdeen were eye wateringly painful.

13 minutes ago, RDFH64 said:

Aberdeen should huv won more during that period but two hinge stopped them doing so, the first was a very strong Celtic team & the second was Mcinnes, he refused to play younger players regularly preferring to play his favourites who were mostly journeymen, Mcinnes got off to a great start winning the league cup playing exciting football but within a couple of years it became safety first boring football, the last 2 or 3 years watching Aberdeen were eye wateringly painful.

Don’t all managers play their favourites, isn’t that what the job is all about, playing the players that they think are the ones best for a game?

I’d be more worried about a manger that played players that other people thought were better - which is what you really mean, I suspect, that he didn’t play the players *you* thought he should do.

3 minutes ago, aaid said:

Don’t all managers play their favourites, isn’t that what the job is all about, playing the players that they think are the ones best for a game?

I’d be more worried about a manger that played players that other people thought were better - which is what you really mean, I suspect, that he didn’t play the players *you* thought he should do.

He very rarely gave young players a start, when he did and we didn’t win he dropped the young players, yet week in week out some of the established players underperformed yet still started the next game, Mcinnes reverted to safety first no risk football not just against Celtic but most teams in the league which disappointed a lot of Aberdeen fans, don’t get me wrong Mcinnes was great for Aberdeen but it could & should have been a far more successful period trophy wise.

4 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

Or as a Scotland fan I seem awfully obsessed with young Scottish players getting opportunities. 

King and Lowry are too great prospects. Lowry in particular has been pretty much motm every time he has played for Rangers however isnt trusted.

And just so I know, im largely being critical of Rangers recently. Does not make me a Rangers fan or clearly a Celtic fan? Given you have to be one or the other in the brain cell of some posters.

Whether we like it or not when we have Scots playing in the top league in England the national team improves greatly. We didn't have that for a number of years and our results were horrendous. I wouldn't be relying on the Old Firm too heavily.

20 minutes ago, Och Aye said:

Whether we like it or not when we have Scots playing in the top league in England the national team improves greatly. We didn't have that for a number of years and our results were horrendous. I wouldn't be relying on the Old Firm too heavily.

The current state of the national team is healthy with alot of promising players in England and elsewhere.

That doesnt mean we shouldnt want the promising players at the Old Firm to develop and get chances to play. 

The only point im making is that Lowry in particular has played well everytime he has played for the 1st team yet continually gets overlooked for players who wont be at Rangers next season or journeymen who are arguably not as talented but just more experienced.

18 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

Come on Scotty, we’re waiting!!!

One job you’ve got FFS…

Out of respect for Sevco's accomplishment of reaching a European final in their first 10 years of existence this thread will not be updated at this time. Thank you.

13 hours ago, aaid said:

So have both St Johnstone and Rangers now won more major trophies in the last 10 years than Aberdeen?

St. Johnstone and Sevco have, yes.