Cash and ATMs - Kazakhstan v Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Cash and ATMs

Padre Andrew

I've never been to Astana before, but I did spend a week in Almaty last November. Cash machines were pretty easy to find there and the restaurants and shops we went to all accepted Visa cards. I wouldn't change money at the airport, just withdraw it from a cash machine. There were a number of ATMs in Almaty, which is a smaller airport, so I would assume it will be the same in Astana.

1 hour ago, GLOSTA said:

I took cash out at atm in airport as needed to pay taxi etc. easiest way to do it.

it is very cheap out there so don't go over top or will be left with unusable money.

Excluding digs. 3 nights will £200 suffice as spending money? Taxis, beer and McDonald’s etc 

work on about £1.20 a pint and under £4 if you do go to Macs. Local delicacies are horse meat and fermented horse milk so a wee bit more expensive for that.

in the world ranking for cosy of living then K is 390 out of 444. Folks don't earn a lot.

Aye, plenty of ATMs in Astana and currency exchanges too if you need them.  Even 'expensive', western-frequented restaurants aren't that expensive by UK standards and you can easy find places where it's 1-1.50 GBP a pint and 5 or 6 quid for a main course.