Crowdfunder for Hampden Mural - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Crowdfunder for Hampden Mural

Alan

Here's an idea, if every player in the current squad and the backroom team all were to donate £100 each then they would be over half way there already. Considering the wages many of them are on, £100 is small change to them.

The story of Andrew Watson is a wonderful one and I am really proud that the world's first black international fitba player was a Scot. 

Interestingly, researchers have not turned up any evidence at all that he ever faced any kind of racism as a player in Scotland. He would also have gotten more caps for Scotland had he not moved to England, as at that time only Scots based players were picked for the national team. Watson was well liked by his fellow players and was reputedly a very skilful left back. 

I do seem to remember years ago when I was a TAMB lurker rather than a poster, reading some idiot stating Watson was a white man and it's only the lighting in the photographers studio that made him look black. Multiple photographs of Watson show this is complete nonsense.

Who's the other footballer on the mural Alan?   Charles Campbell?

Will it be in black and white?   No pun intended, just that I'd assumed the shirt was in Rosebury colours, but I see we played uniquely that day in blue & white hoops.

• 3 months later...
On 3/18/2019 at 1:28 AM, ErsatzThistle said:

Here's an idea, if every player in the current squad and the backroom team all were to donate £100 each then they would be over half way there already. Considering the wages many of them are on, £100 is small change to them.

The story of Andrew Watson is a wonderful one and I am really proud that the world's first black international fitba player was a Scot. 

Interestingly, researchers have not turned up any evidence at all that he ever faced any kind of racism as a player in Scotland. He would also have gotten more caps for Scotland had he not moved to England, as at that time only Scots based players were picked for the national team. Watson was well liked by his fellow players and was reputedly a very skilful left back. 

I do seem to remember years ago when I was a TAMB lurker rather than a poster, reading some idiot stating Watson was a white man and it's only the lighting in the photographers studio that made him look black. Multiple photographs of Watson show this is complete nonsense.

Great idea. Anyone know how best to make this happen. A personal approach i.e. a Scotland team whip round would be a fantastic result?

On 3/11/2019 at 11:22 PM, thplinth said:

After your magnanimous attitude to the Glasgow School of Art how could I not contribute.

Cheque is in the post.

I sense that you're being sarcastic.

Magnanimous means being noble and generous.

If he really was magnanimous about the Glasgow School of Art tragedy then your cheque should be in the post.

15 hours ago, UpTheSlope said:

I thought the TA were pathetic in the way crowd funded and some people went over to clean up after the floods in Portugal shortly after the Gib game but this is a whole new level of arse lickery 

What is? Celebrating your history and educating people about the history of the modern game? 

Fk aye, be awful for is to tell the world about Scotland's achievements eh? Would hate us to get ideas above our station and even dare to think about getting up off our knees and being proud eh? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/11/2019 at 11:22 PM, thplinth said:

After your magnanimous attitude to the Glasgow School of Art how could I not contribute.

Cheque is in the post.

to be fair the art school is a fucking joke, has ruined multiple businesses and a couple of great buildings.......twice

On 7/8/2019 at 1:00 AM, Bzzzz said:

What is? Celebrating your history and educating people about the history of the modern game? 

Fk aye, be awful for is to tell the world about Scotland's achievements eh? Would hate us to get ideas above our station and even dare to think about getting up off our knees and being proud eh? 

I'm afraid that some people are just never happy unless they are pissing all over everyone else's chips and generally being a miserable feckin buzzkill.

• 6 months later...

On Friday the 13th of March, the Tartan Army Sunshine Appeal along with the guys behind the Hampden Collection will be putting on a quiz night and stories/history of the first Hampden Park Stadium.

Due to the size of venue, numbers are limited, with 10 teams of 4 at £20 (with 6 of the 10 places already taken).

Detail below

Quiz night in aid of the Tartan Army Sunshine Appeal, hosted in conjunction with the Hampden Collective at Hampden Bowling Club.
Along with the quiz, we’ll be enlightened by the history of the original Hampden Stadium, including access to the 1st Hampden Park Mural 👌

Quiz prizes and raffle items will be confirmed very soon.

Friday 13th March 2020

Hampden Bowling Club, 10 Kingsley Ave, Glasgow G42 8BU

Teams of 4 at £20.00 (limited availability as its a compact venue)

Tickets available by email - info@tasunshineappeal.scot

4 minutes ago, WCTA said:

Looking forward to having a few swallies here the day of the Israel game. To say that I’m standing in the first Hampden will feel pretty neat before our biggest game in years. 

Get along early, as its a lot smaller than you imagine it to be.

Graeme and Ged who are behind it are really passionate about the whole project.

8 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Get along early, as its a lot smaller than you imagine it to be.

Graeme and Ged who are behind it are really passionate about the whole project.

I’ve seen the pics of inside and you’re right, it’s not big. But Bzzzz is on the board with that Graeme guy and has us a big table booked. 

7 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Scotland fans living in the past for eternity

Not that i disagree with the project

This isn’t us harking back to Gemmill’s goal or our 67 win though. This is huge. Proof of what we gave to the World. It’s as big as any of our major inventions. 

On 18 March 2019 at 1:28 AM, ErsatzThistle said:

Would have been interesting to see how world footbal would have turned out if the only only home based nationals rule had been applied worldwide.

• 3 weeks later...