What is wrong with some "Fans"? - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

What is wrong with some "Fans"?

I'm not against a hostile atmosphere at football grounds as I have been to some games within the last couple of years where the atmosphere in the stadium is mind-numbingly sterile. But recently we've had a spate of physical involvement of some supporters with players as there seemed to be a trend of throwing missiles until this weekend the behaviour has descended into 3 high profile physical "confrontations" between fans and players, the worst by far being the Grealish incident on Sunday but the ones involving Smalling and Tavernier also being notably concerning in isolation.

Firstly, I'm hoping there's not some kind of underground fans community that's condoning these actions and conspiring to make them happen, given how many similar incidents we've seen recently.

Secondly, from a fan's point of view why do you think this behaviour has been on the rise particularly this season? Are fans feeling more alienated from the game and this is the consequence?

Thirdly, again from a fan's point of view, what do you think is a suitable punishment for clubs? I know media has discussed ground closures, points deductions etc. Does that punish too many law abiding fans and clubs doing their best within the standard safety procedures or do we need to act strongly now?

I’m not sure the clubs should be punished, not unless they are found to be partly responsible, by lack of security or allowing a known dickhead into the stadium, beyond that I’m not sure how you can stop someone coming onto the park if they want to. 

Are they selling alcohol in stadiums in England? 

9 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

I’m not sure the clubs should be punished, not unless they are found to be partly responsible, by lack of security or allowing a known dickhead into the stadium, beyond that I’m not sure how you can stop someone coming onto the park if they want to. 

You can buy alcohol in most (probably all) stadiums in England, right down to the lower reaches of non-league. I don't see many clubs stopping that any time soon. One thing I've taken the mick out of lately has been the steward searches. They are beyond rubbish most of the time. I carry around keys, inhalers & various crap in my coat pocket which they rarely touch, never mind check. More often than not they'll search (badly) my 23 yo son, then wave me through, assuming I'm sedate & responsible.

When all said & done though, if you're determined to get on the pitch, you probably can.

14 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

I think they can get drink, however the guy on the park was already banned from the club so only face recognition software would have stopped him getting in. 14weeks in jail is not enough as he will be lucky to serve 4. Entry onto any sport field should carry a mandatory 6 months. Sports people must shit themselves when a loony is approaching.

willing to bet even Erica Roe would not have streaked if she was going down for 6 months.

Allowing fans on at league winning games or cup finals is not setting any good behaviors. All off at all times. If winning teams fans invade then void the game.

8 hours ago, The White Ceelo said:

I think they can get drink, however the guy on the park was already banned from the club so only face recognition software would have stopped him getting in. 14weeks in jail is not enough as he will be lucky to serve 4. Entry onto any sport field should carry a mandatory 6 months. Sports people must shit themselves when a loony is approaching.

willing to bet even Erica Roe would not have streaked if she was going down for 6 months.

Allowing fans on at league winning games or cup finals is not setting any good behaviors. All off at all times. If winning teams fans invade then void the game.

Good post. I think we all laugh at the 77 gamee at wembley when we invaded. But in sober hindsight that could caused a riot. Except there no england fans there. I dont think i can blame the hobs fams for coming on to the park after winning the scottish cup after all they have been through. But as usual it was the neds that ran up and goaded the rangers fans that caused the bother.  Same in 1980 with the celtic fans. So u have made a good point about making the game void if they do that. Just a recipe for bother. I mind at hampden one day this young boy must have been about 10. Asked the policeman if he could run on to the pitch. The polis said no and the wee boy ran past him and sai 'just thought i 'd ask'. And ran on anyway. A polite wee ned that boy!! There is no easy answer except the clubs to take more responsibity i think. Hibs might set down a marker hopefully. But action definately needs to be taken. If only all fans could be like me and get so pished u could never make it on to the park. And by the time i have finished my glenlivet identification wouldn't be difficult if i could summon up the strength to throw it ☺. But action really speaks louder than words and the clubs should be working on a plan together and act on it. That was shocking at aston villa and that guy should get 6 months minimum.

10 hours ago, N4Footsoldier said:

Firstly, I'm hoping there's not some kind of underground fans community that's condoning these actions and conspiring to make them happen, given how many similar incidents we've seen recently.

There is. There is a (secret) Facebook page and also a Whats App chat group. You have to know someone in the FB group, or have been on a pitch to get accepted in. I was on the pitch at Love Street in 1986 but that was BC (before cameras) but thankfully my pictures of me on the pitch in Oslo after the 2-1 win got me in. It was actually quite a bit after the game and we were walking round the stadium and saw an open tunnel. We went down it and got some pics on the pitch. No police to huckle us off, the biggest worry was getting locked in the stadium.

The group has now changed from just people going on the pitch to dares, bets and incentives when they do go on. The Hibs lad at the weekend was offered a weekend in a 4 berth caravan at Seton Sands and full use of site facilities as well as a £30 Domino's credit to "nutmeg a Rangers player". I think that is why he was so angry with Tavernier as he was so close to megging him but just missed out. 

Kevin from Gloucester took up the challenge set down at the Villa game. Grealish isn't well liked by the Birmingham fans who regard him as a bit of a carthorse. The challenge was to jump on Grealish's back and shout "C'mon Donkey, we have to rescue Fiona" in a Shrek like voice to win an all-inclusive night in the Bullring. Quite a difficult challenge for a Brummy IMO, putting on a Shrek voice. When he punched him the group chat on WA went mental, my phone almost melted it go so many messages. He must have had a rush of blood to the head and thought Grealish was Lord Farquaad. Similar hairstyles I suppose.

Think the FB page is going to be closed now in case Kevin grasses on it, too much hassle from the feds. WA chat has already gone but I heard rumours yesterday of a new one, even more extreme, involving fancy dress or nakedness and has to involve corner flags. I don't want any part of that. Fancy dress FFS.

Ohh and the Arsenal one was nothing to do with the group. Have a feeling the lad on the pitch there snuck in and pretended to be a ball boy as he was about 4ft 8" so would get on pitch easily enough. 

I have watched football for for over fifty years and the last thing I would want to see is drinks van's and fences put back up. Sadly I think it might happen. Violence is creeping back into the game even in non-league. Selling alcoholic drinks in the stadium is a big revenue stream especially at the smaller clubs.at a lot of non-league clubs you can drink during the game (why anyone wants to drink old beer from a plastic cup in the pissing rain is beyond me but each to their own ). Unfortunately it leads to unsavoury actions on occasion. At Bradford PA we have had a few incidents the worst were when we played Stockport County where every goal,corner for them was followed by a track/pitch invasion. I must point out that the facilities at Horsfall  stadium are are very basic. Because of these incidents we now have to have a minimum amount of stewards at every game when we only get about 400 on a good day with an average age of about 50. Which costs the club money we don't have. I don't think it is the alcohol per se that is the problem but that the club sold it throughout the game so instead of a couple before the game and one at halftime folk might have 6or8. As for the incidents this weekend these guys are just complete moron's the amount is cameras and stewards shouts it is quite baffling why they do it . I think the Birmingham fan who was arrested should have to spend his sentence cleaning Villa Park . Back to the op .what more can clubs do ?. I think most grounds in England are all ticket as in no cash gates so I would assume a name and address would have to be given. So the only way to stop encroachment would be barriers and I am sure nobody wants them.

Ian

4 hours ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

The Hibs lad at the weekend was offered a weekend in a 4 berth caravan at Seton Sands and full use of site facilities as well as a £30 Domino's credit to "nutmeg a Rangers player".

Simple answer to the problem would be to offer this to all fans. Nobody would ever encroach an a pitch again.

6 hours ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

There is. There is a (secret) Facebook page and also a Whats App chat group. You have to know someone in the FB group, or have been on a pitch to get accepted in. I was on the pitch at Love Street in 1986 but that was BC (before cameras) but thankfully my pictures of me on the pitch in Oslo after the 2-1 win got me in. It was actually quite a bit after the game and we were walking round the stadium and saw an open tunnel. We went down it and got some pics on the pitch. No police to huckle us off, the biggest worry was getting locked in the stadium.

The group has now changed from just people going on the pitch to dares, bets and incentives when they do go on. The Hibs lad at the weekend was offered a weekend in a 4 berth caravan at Seton Sands and full use of site facilities as well as a £30 Domino's credit to "nutmeg a Rangers player". I think that is why he was so angry with Tavernier as he was so close to megging him but just missed out. 

Kevin from Gloucester took up the challenge set down at the Villa game. Grealish isn't well liked by the Birmingham fans who regard him as a bit of a carthorse. The challenge was to jump on Grealish's back and shout "C'mon Donkey, we have to rescue Fiona" in a Shrek like voice to win an all-inclusive night in the Bullring. Quite a difficult challenge for a Brummy IMO, putting on a Shrek voice. When he punched him the group chat on WA went mental, my phone almost melted it go so many messages. He must have had a rush of blood to the head and thought Grealish was Lord Farquaad. Similar hairstyles I suppose.

Think the FB page is going to be closed now in case Kevin grasses on it, too much hassle from the feds. WA chat has already gone but I heard rumours yesterday of a new one, even more extreme, involving fancy dress or nakedness and has to involve corner flags. I don't want any part of that. Fancy dress FFS.

Ohh and the Arsenal one was nothing to do with the group. Have a feeling the lad on the pitch there snuck in and pretended to be a ball boy as he was about 4ft 8" so would get on pitch easily enough. 

:lol: 

All the numpties who think "social media" cause all the worlds problems will be reading that and believing it. 

44 minutes ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

Seemed to recall he played out that game with a bleedy nose ; or was that another game ?

i think the missiles thrown may do more damage that most of the pi$$ed up guys that end up on the field

Was that not a cup final against rangers ?

Cheap cocaine and bigotry is fuelling bad behaviour from fans in Scotland. 

The bigotry gets blood boiling and people believing that there doing (or part of something) other than watching a game of football. 

Cocaine in anybody, like too much alcohol, in some people, makes people do stupid stuff without having full regard to the consequences. 

A form of strict liability with point deductions would make bigotry, or at least the expression and perpetuation of it, a thing of the past within 5yrs.

The community e.g. Pubs and supporters clubs need to take more of an interest in the massive cocaine problem we have in this country.

On 3/13/2019 at 3:35 AM, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

85 was rapid vienna

everton in final

A couple of years after that game, I worked briefly with a guy who was a big Celtic fan from Govanhill.   Although I don't think anyone was ever charged - I could be wrong on that, but it was pre-CCTV - the guy that launched the bottle was from his area and was pretty well known.   Apparently he couldn't go out of his house for about six months due to constant leatherings from pissed off Celtic fans.