Allan McGregor Retires - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Allan McGregor Retires

Rab The Crab

45 minutes ago, bonny78 said:

We need young blood anyway.  Thanks for the memories and service. 

If all our keepers accidently got hit by the same bus I'm sure he'd come back, otherwise enjoy your well earned rest. 

We ll struggle on with Gordon. 

Gordon is currently injured but when he’s fit he’s keeping the bench warm. 

We wont see him back in a Scotland jersey unless Bain gets injured or Gordon moves to another club and establishes himself in the starting line up. 

1 minute ago, Texas Pete said:

Gordon is currently injured but when he’s fit he’s keeping the bench warm. 

We wont see him back in a Scotland jersey unless Bain gets injured or Gordon moves to another club and establishes himself in the starting line up. 

Thank feck.. Bomb scare Gordon.  Bench is fine for that kuwnt. 

8 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

Pete you can't just leave that lying there like that :wtf:

Think he wanted to retire before the start of the League of Nations, but was talked into staying on.

Probably just decided it was time now.

Edit: just seen this has already been said.

Edited by Stu101

8 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

Are we?

We've gone from McGregor, Gordon and Marshall (who were all very good) to a much lower standard.

I think we are bang average in this position after years of being very strong.

Its rare that I agree with pasta mick, but totally agree here. Years back you could have picked from the three and be happy. Not sure who I would pick.   Possibly Bain and hope he claims the position, but my feeling is mcgregor and Gordon at peak werebetter keepers.  God help us is Jordan archer is picked.....

52 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Its rare that I agree with pasta mick, but totally agree here. Years back you could have picked from the three and be happy. Not sure who I would pick.   Possibly Bain and hope he claims the position, but my feeling is mcgregor and Gordon at peak werebetter keepers.  God help us is Jordan archer is picked.....

Shame that Angus Gunn has nailed his colours to Engalnd's cause.  Other than that we're looking at some very inexperienced keepers.  Marshall and McLoughlin both come back into the picture as well as Bain

10 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

Are we?

We've gone from McGregor, Gordon and Marshall (who were all very good) to a much lower standard.

I think we are bang average in this position after years of being very strong.

Yes we are. At least compared to where we were in the days of Neil Sullivan and Rab Doublas et al before we moved into having McGregor, Gordon and Marshall.

There is Scott Bain who I have not see throwing howlers in every match he has played for Celtic. I would not have any issue whatsoever with Craig Gordon and David Marshall as back-up. All three of them I would put well above the likes of Sullivan and Douglas and Jonathan Gould.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

3 minutes ago, Scotland Ever More said:

Zander Clark has always looked a good keeper to me. I don't see him play as much as Bain but don't see very much between them from what I have.

Yeah, I've always been impressed by him. Think he's injured atm right enough.

43 minutes ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

If we are stalking Che Adams, we'd be as well stalking Angus Gunn as well...get someone to kidnap his da' and blackmail him into playing for us

Probably just paper talk but Scotland are supposed to be going back in for Gunn. Apparently his dad and Peter Grant are good pals so they feel like they can convince him he should play for us

McGregor arguably in the best form of his career, so a bit disappointing to lose him.

He would be number one, so a bit unusual, could understand making way for a younger keeper if he was going to get dragged all over Europe to sit on the bench.

I wouldn’t discount the theory this is a 2 fingered salute to the SFA.

15 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

I wouldn’t discount the theory this is a 2 fingered salute to the SFA.

I doubt that is the case but if it is then he only has himself to blame for the ban...he has always had the habit of 'leaving the boot in'.

On our search for a new keeper, its probably partly our fault that there isn't an outstanding candidate because we've relied on Gordon, McGregor and Marshall for so long now.

38 minutes ago, csinclair said:

Probably just paper talk but Scotland are supposed to be going back in for Gunn. Apparently his dad and Peter Grant are good pals so they feel like they can convince him he should play for us

I sincerely hope not. Gunn and Che Adams have made their choices clear. To be seen to be grovelling to players despite knowing they are simply not interested in representing Scotland is sad. Strike that - its pathetic.

27 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I sincerely hope not. Gunn and Che Adams have made their choices clear. To be seen to be grovelling to players despite knowing they are simply not interested in representing Scotland is sad. Strike that - its pathetic.

I'd be stunned if Gunn isn't picked for the next England squad. One thing they lack is decent keepers and he is now Southampton's number one, who is playing well. Who else have they got? Pickford? He'd be the only one who would be his rival for the shirt. He's already mentioned how big an England fan he is (look at his Twitter account, it's full of England tweets) so no thanks

Edited by Bobby Russell's Lovechild

12 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

I'd be stunned if Gunn isn't picked for the next England squad. One thing they lack is decent keepers and he is now Southampton's number one, who is playing well. Who else have they got? Pickford? He'd be the only one who would be his rival for the shirt. He's already mentioned how big an England fan he is (look at his Twitter account, it's full of England tweets) so no thanks

And to think you'll still get Scotland fans encouraging us to grovel to him.

7 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

And to think you'll still get Scotland fans encouraging us to grovel to him.

I feel sorry for his dad as he most likely wanted the lad to play for Scotland.

I'd have more respect for Angus to go down the path he should be going and aiming for the country he's a big fan of and not taking the easy option with us, because let's face it, he'd most likely be our no. 1 straight off

Edited by Bobby Russell's Lovechild

1 minute ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

I feel sorry for his dad as he most likely wanted the lad to play for Scotland. I'd have more respect for Angus to go down the path he should be going and not taking the easy option with us, because let's face it, he'd most likely be our no. 1 straight off

Indeed and I admire him for going where is heart lies. He feels English and wants to play for them and that is how it should be.

3 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Yes we are. At least compared to where we were in the days of Neil Sullivan and Rab Doublas et al before we moved into having McGregor, Gordon and Marshall.

There is Scott Bain who I have not see throwing howlers in every match he has played for Celtic. I would not have any issue whatsoever with Craig Gordon and David Marshall as back-up. All three of them I would put well above the likes of Sullivan and Douglas and Jonathan Gould.

Both Douglas and Sullivan would get into this squad.

1 hour ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

I doubt that is the case but if it is then he only has himself to blame for the ban...he has always had the habit of 'leaving the boot in'.

On our search for a new keeper, its probably partly our fault that there isn't an outstanding candidate because we've relied on Gordon, McGregor and Marshall for so long now.

Jordan Archer isn’t that good from the little I’ve seen of him, think Zander Clark should have been involved before now based on some of his performances for St Johnstone, don’t know much about the boy from Livi and it’s pretty slim pickings otherwise.

I’ve never rated Marshall, but Gordon seems to have peaked early for a goalkeeper, he’s a bit of a bomb scare these days. Having said that, Mcleish wouldn’t be expecting him to play football which is where a lot of his errors creep in.

Mcgregor is head and shoulders the best we have, so a shame he’s made himself unavailable, whatever his reasons.