Allan McGregor Retires - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Allan McGregor Retires

Rab The Crab

1 minute ago, jamboman said:

whats marshall up to these days? i would play Bain vs san marino but against Kazakhstan  we need experience

Bain will be fine against Kazakhstan. He has played in Europe for Celtic against tougher opposition than Kazhakstan.

Im Not worried about bain stepping up at all.

8 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Poor McGregor, travelling for 5 away matches extra per season must be so tough, especially for a goalkeeper. The other 5 matches are on his doorstep. 

Tbh we would have been horsed about 7-1 in the first Israel game and drawn the second one if it wasn’t for him.

Given his service Over the past 10+ years we should be wishing him well. 

1 minute ago, ProudScot said:

Tbh we would have been horsed about 7-1 in the first Israel game and drawn the second one if it wasn’t for him.

Tbh he's done this because of the SFA banned him for his reckless assault in the Aberdeen game. Its childish and I am surprised no one is that bothered by it. He has a proven track record of being a childish cunt when him and Barry did that v sign to the crowd. I mean these were two adult men acting like 10 year olds.

1 minute ago, ProudScot said:

He's got a chequered Scotland career to say the least. He's also a bit of a knob considering how he likes to elbow and kick his opponents.

I'll leave the well wishing to you

Don't get me wrong, I wanted him back because Gordon was turning to shit but I'm happy with a younger up and coming keeper taking over

He's the best keeper we have.

I'm sure someone will step up and do well and replace him. 

My understanding is he wanted to do this prior to the Nation's Cup but decided to stay put. The ban has hee haw to do with it👍

Just now, ParisInAKilt said:

How do you know this?

Given his childish nature and a bit of common sense on my part I would say it's the most likely of theories that I would believe. I do accept that it's not necessarily hundred percent fact but would be willing to bet that he's taken the huff and would be still playing had he not been banned by the SFA.

1 minute ago, mccaughey85 said:

Given his childish nature and a bit of common sense on my part I would say it's the most likely of theories that I would believe. I do accept that it's not necessarily hundred percent fact but would be willing to bet that he's taken the huff and would be still playing had he not been banned by the SFA.

It’s far from 100% fact haha. 

He made a mistake in 2009 but his commitment before and after that was never in doubt. Sure he travelled many a time and never got a game when Gordon was number 1 as well. 

Considering his age the most likely scenario is what his statement said. 

7 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

It’s far from 100% fact haha. 

He made a mistake in 2009 but his commitment before and after that was never in doubt. Sure he travelled many a time and never got a game when Gordon was number 1 as well. 

Considering his age the most likely scenario is what his statement said. 

Yeh I said its not hundred percent fact. Maybe I should give him the benefit of the doubt and tbh I am happy enough with Gordon or Bain coming in as a replacement. 

3 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Yeh I said its not hundred percent fact. Maybe I should give him the benefit of the doubt and tbh I am happy enough with Gordon or Bain coming in as a replacement. 

Why would you be happy with Gordon coming in?

When was the last time he played a game of football?

Strange timing given the squad's about to be announced.

Surely not a problem with the relationship with the manager given their Rangers days together.

Is it 2 fingers to the SFA over the ban? Maybe

Is it having to haul his 37 year old body 4000 miles next week and back? Maybe

Is it that at his stage he's not got much left to gain from committing to Scotland while trying to prolong his club career? Quite understandably it could be.

End of the day - 16 clean sheets in 42 caps seems a high figure for a Scotland team for me. I don't have the comparison stats off hand.

Top class shot-stopper and prone to prone to playing well in the big games. He'll be missed on the pitch and now we have a decision to make on the next No.1

17 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

Why would you be happy with Gordon coming in?

When was the last time he played a game of football?

Gordon has been second choice to Bain for a couple of months I think. The main reason for this is bains ability to play out from the back which was brendan Rodgers preferred philosophy. Gordon is still a good Keeper and would be easily worth his place in the squad imo.

1 minute ago, mccaughey85 said:

Gordon has been second choice to Bain for a couple of months I think. The main reason for this is bains ability to play out from the back which was brendan Rodgers preferred philosophy. Gordon is still a good Keeper and would be easily worth his place in the squad imo.

Had Gordon still been first choice at Celtic I’d have had no problem with him taking the number one slot for the entire campaign after this news but his lack of action is a concern, I’d keep him in the squad but I hope Bain starts.

Ive got a bad feeling Eck will pick Gordon though.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

The one saving grace is we're quite strong in the goalkeeping area.

Are we?

We've gone from McGregor, Gordon and Marshall (who were all very good) to a much lower standard.

I think we are bang average in this position after years of being very strong.

Disappointed at this news but at 37 it's not a surprise. Only goalies that look after themselves physically can go much beyond that and I'd say Shagger isn't one of those. 😁

Gordon shouldn't be anywhere near the squad as hes not playing just now. Bain will be No 1 and I'd call up Kelly to start blooding him. Not bothered by the other apart from the fact he should be playing regularly. 

3 hours ago, Gala Tartan Army (Borders) said:

Fact he was banned a month ago by SFA for kick out against Aberdeen surely a factor.

He’s definitely the type of character that would take a strop like that. Wouldn’t surprise me. Good keeper but a complete penis of a man 

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

Dearie me. 

It has nothing to do with his ban. I can confirm that is a 100% fact.