Things we do and why? - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

I do lots of weird things in my head and I’m general, don’t know why? 

Some examples are:

I count stairs when I go up or down them, have done since I was a child, I know the numbers of stairs in my folks, brothers & sisters houses, my brother in London, I’ve only been in that once and know he has 2 stairs to a landing, turn left them there’s another 12.

I count things back and forth until I come to an even number, again from a child. I remember counting the panels of a stained glass window in church until I got to 40. (The number that is, I haven’t sat in a church for 30+ years counting a window) that would be fucking weird  

I count steps that I take, a run of the mill estate fence will have 2 steps between posts and a gate has 1, it’s also 11 paces from the street sign across the road from my folks house to their front door.

Volume on the tv/radio/speakers has to be at a multiple of 5.

The mugs on the tree have to be all facing the same way, as does the cutlery in the drawer.

My wife thought I may have ocd, but that theory was disproven when I told her the T-shirt’s in my wardrobe didn’t annoy me that they weren’t in alphabetical order of brand and colour.

Apart from that, I’ve no idea what you’re talking about 😂

Edited by dandydunn

14 hours ago, dandydunn said:

I do lots of weird things in my head and I’m general, don’t know why? 

Some examples are:

I count stairs when I go up or down them, have done since I was a child, I know the numbers of stairs in my folks, brothers & sisters houses, my brother in London, I’ve only been in that once and know he has 2 stairs to a landing, turn left them there’s another 12.

I count things back and forth until I come to an even number, again from a child. I remember counting the panels of a stained glass window in church until I got to 40. (The number that is, I haven’t sat in a church for 30+ years counting a window) that would be fucking weird  

I count steps that I take, a run of the mill estate fence will have 2 steps between posts and a gate has 1, it’s also 11 paces from the street sign across the road from my folks house to their front door.

Volume on the tv/radio/speakers has to be at a multiple of 5.

The mugs on the tree have to be all facing the same way, as does the cutlery in the drawer.

My wife thought I may have ocd, but that theory was disproven when I told her the T-shirt’s in my wardrobe didn’t annoy me that they weren’t in alphabetical order of brand and colour.

Apart from that, I’ve no idea what you’re talking about 😂

I’m surprised you still have time for golf by the time you get through that list. 

2 hours ago, Padre Andrew said:

Does anyone on the Board know of any women who do this kind of thing?

Seems to be pretty much a bloke thing. I won't bother asking my wife's opinion: she'll just say that "all men are on the spectrum". 😕

Nope.

57 minutes ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

A question for everyone. Do you always sleep on the same side of the bed even if your not in your own bed, hotels etc. Why? 

Yip. I have a sore right hip so sleep on my left side more. I would rather no be facing my husband all night so I sleep on the left side of the bed. I am pretty sure he feels the same. 

20 hours ago, DoonTheSlope said:

If I’m in bed and I remember I need to do something the next day I’ll pick something up from the drawer at the side of my bed and throw it across the room on to the floor

Do you panic if there is no bedside table in a hotel room,  or do you filter for  ‘bedside tables’ on booking.com to ensure you get one? 

6 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Nope.

Yip. I have a sore right hip so sleep on my left side more. I would rather no be facing my husband all night so I sleep on the left side of the bed. I am pretty sure he feels the same. 

Do you panic if there is no bedside table in a hotel room,  or do you filter for  ‘bedside tables’ on booking.com to ensure you get one? 

:)

1 hour ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

A question for everyone. Do you always sleep on the same side of the bed even if your not in your own bed, hotels etc. Why? 

Not only do I have to sleep on the same side in a hotel I like the bathroom to be in roughly the same place as it is in my house in relation to the bed. It's not the first time in a hotel when I've been really pished I've ended up out in corridor looking for the toilet. 😁

• 1 month later...

Similar but different, more sort of I know why we used to, why do we still...

Wearing a shirt and tie, wearing a collar, 10 buttons and a tie, still thought of as smart attire.  I thought we would have adopted a more practical view on clothes by now.

Shaking hands, I remember watching John bishop giving an award to someone.  He came on the stage shook hands, gave the award, shook hands and shook hands to say goodbye all within about 3 minutes.

11 minutes ago, McFootSoldier said:

Similar but different, more sort of I know why we used to, why do we still...

Wearing a shirt and tie, wearing a collar, 10 buttons and a tie, still thought of as smart attire.  I thought we would have adopted a more practical view on clothes by now.

Shaking hands, I remember watching John bishop giving an award to someone.  He came on the stage shook hands, gave the award, shook hands and shook hands to say goodbye all within about 3 minutes.

Totally agree, WTF is awe that about?

Shaking hands serves no other purpose other than spreading germs and pish, or possibly worse.

20 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Totally agree, WTF is awe that about?

Shaking hands serves no other purpose other than spreading germs and pish, or possibly worse.

To show we don't have weapons and to keep your sword hand busy, isn't thta why everyone shakes hands.

I prefer the nod or in some cases the salute to greet people or just say "HIYA"

I always have to put my left sock and left shoe on before the right of each.  It's got to the stage my wife will occasionally hide the left shoe when I'm getting ready to try and force me to put the right one on first and I'll wait till she brings it back before I continue getting ready.

When eating crisps I take them from the packet using the top of my index finger and tip of my middle finger as opposed to the traditional "thumb and finger tips" method.  People think I'm a bit weird but doing it any other way feels wrong and makes my hands feel really grubby.  

I will never, ever walk over a manhole cover.  If I'm in company walking along a road and see one directly ahead I'll drop back and walk behind someone to ensure I don't have to walk over it.  There is no rational reason for this, I've never fallen down one, it's not superstition, it's just something that's developed over the years.

When my team are taking a penalty I'll always tap my forehead just before it's taken.  Goes back to being a wee boy watching Rangers when I used to wear a woolly hat with a badge on the front and for some reason I thought it was good luck to touch the badge at a penalty and it's stuck with me to this day.  I no longer own the hat.  I've also grown to realise that anyone catching me doing it out of the corner of their eye may think I'm crossing myself!

32 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

I always have to put my left sock and left shoe on before the right of each.  It's got to the stage my wife will occasionally hide the left shoe when I'm getting ready to try and force me to put the right one on first and I'll wait till she brings it back before I continue getting ready.

I do that, sometimes I accidently pick up the right one, and put it back down, theres no way its going on first.

Perfectly normal thing to do 😢

1 hour ago, Fairbairn said:

When eating crisps I take them from the packet using the top of my index finger and tip of my middle finger as opposed to the traditional "thumb and finger tips" method.  People think I'm a bit weird but doing it any other way feels wrong and makes my hands feel really grubby.  

I will never, ever walk over a manhole cover.  If I'm in company walking along a road and see one directly ahead I'll drop back and walk behind someone to ensure I don't have to walk over it.  There is no rational reason for this, I've never fallen down one, it's not superstition, it's just something that's developed over the years.

When my team are taking a penalty I'll always tap my forehead just before it's taken.  Goes back to being a wee boy watching Rangers when I used to wear a woolly hat with a badge on the front and for some reason I thought it was good luck to touch the badge at a penalty and it's stuck with me to this day.  I no longer own the hat.  I've also grown to realise that anyone catching me doing it out of the corner of their eye may think I'm crossing myself!

Aye, there is ya dafty. You don't need to have fallen down a manhole to have a wee bit of a clue as to what might happen if you ever did.

1 hour ago, Fairbairn said:

How can you tell what sock is the left one?