30 years ago tonight - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

30 years ago tonight

Toepoke

I have to say that I don't remember that at all, and I thought senility took away your most recent memories first!

I certainly was not there that night so don't know the feeling in the ground, but younger viewers should realise that we had at least as good a pedigree as France then.   By '89 mibbee the expect to beat them at Hampden attitude may have started to slip.

20 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

I certainly was not there that night so don't know the feeling in the ground, but younger viewers should realise that we had at least as good a pedigree as France then.

They fair scutched us in the return match in Paris though. Bad boy Cantona was recalled and ran riot.

Fortunately the French could only draw in Cyprus whereas we got a 187th minute winner.

Edited by Toepoke

12 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

They fair scutched us in the return match in Paris though. Bad boy Cantona was recalled and ran riot.

Fortunately the French could only draw in Cyprus whereas we got a 187th minute winner.

Now that I do remember!   Only surpassed by the Liechtenstein home win (frustration, embarrassed cold sweat, then comedy-relief emoticon inserted here).

...I link the two out of heartfelt sympathy for the opposition.   So come to think of it, I do like yer OP better :bouncy:

About 7 of us from the work went all in our early 20s

Pissing down all day and we made our way to the North Terracing at that time

It was nearly kick off and we made our way down the aisle looking for any gaps to get in as it was mobbed

Half way down we squeezed in and moved along a bit

I looked around and heard a loud "Moooooove"

It was our boss and we were all half cut

We moved

And just to add the glory days of playing with 2 strikers in McCoist and Johnston - against France

Only for Roxburgh to change it against Costa Rica and put that fucking dumpling McInally in McCoist's place

Fucking lunacy laced with trying to be smart and know better than anyone else so he would appear a genius

Still raging to this day

38 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

I fell over a stool in My Father's Moustache celebrating that

29 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

I fell over a stool in My Father's Moustache celebrating that

22 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

I'm not sure I understand that.

I thought it was a Cantona quote.

29 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

I'm not sure I understand that.

Pub in East Kilbride town centre

I actually lied

My Fathers Moustache was the lounge

The Tower Bar is the bar

I fell over a stool in the Tower Bar

I'm trying to remember when I've watched Scotland in a pub.   Very few occasions for me.

First was the Sweden game (feck I've got to look it up)... 1990 !

Actually, now I've looked back, turns out I've seen quite a few in pubs.   Republic of Ireland, Czech Republic...

was there in north terracing too ; definitely wettest ive been at a game ; drove 4 of us back to Aberdeen in a Capri..... damp & misty

i think ian ferguson played well that night from memory ; although was'nt a big fan of his at the time 

- re the away game - i thought france played a lot of the 2nd half with 10 men ; Cantona off ? Strachan was playing that night i recall too, altho a revival at Leeds think his legs had gone for international duty v likes of France

re earlier comment costa rica, was at that game - and rambo was pish but he was played wide out left i recall ; was very little clear cut chance a poacher could have taken as we were rank - i do recall a diving header from Gough that came off his back and away from goal....... the warning signs for us were evident at the 1-3 friendly v Egypt at Pittodrie ; yeah i know a friendly , but they were going to WC cup and just as aware of injuries, we were outclassed then

32 minutes ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

was there in north terracing too ; definitely wettest ive been at a game ; drove 4 of us back to Aberdeen in a Capri..... damp & misty

i think ian ferguson played well that night from memory ; although was'nt a big fan of his at the time 

- re the away game - i thought france played a lot of the 2nd half with 10 men ; Cantona off ? Strachan was playing that night i recall too, altho a revival at Leeds think his legs had gone for international duty v likes of France

re earlier comment costa rica, was at that game - and rambo was pish but he was played wide out left i recall ; was very little clear cut chance a poacher could have taken as we were rank - i do recall a diving header from Gough that came off his back and away from goal....... the warning signs for us were evident at the 1-3 friendly v Egypt at Pittodrie ; yeah i know a friendly , but they were going to WC cup and just as aware of injuries, we were outclassed then

I remember that Egypt game (on TV) in that how good they looked.   I was looking forward to them giving England a game in the WC, but they were the most disappointing team there.   They didn't show at all in the most boring WC group ever.   I never forgave them :lol:

53 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

I remember that Egypt game (on TV) in that how good they looked.   I was looking forward to them giving England a game in the WC, but they were the most disappointing team there.   They didn't show at all in the most boring WC group ever.   I never forgave them :lol:

Yup, the games were dire. But I was working in Cairo at the time and when they drew with the Netherlands it was like they'd won the tournament. Just one huge street party. Things tailed off a bit after that, right enough.

5 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

And just to add the glory days of playing with 2 strikers in McCoist and Johnston - against France

Only for Roxburgh to change it against Costa Rica and put that fucking dumpling McInally in McCoist's place

Fucking lunacy laced with trying to be smart and know better than anyone else so he would appear a genius

Still raging to this day

The story I heard was Roxburgh had watched Costa Rica and the keeper was dodgy with cross balls so he picked Rambo up front. However their goalie played a blinder and stopped nearly every cross. Turned out it was a different goalkeeper. 

5 hours ago, Grim Jim said:

Now that I do remember!   Only surpassed by the Liechtenstein home win (frustration, embarrassed cold sweat, then comedy-relief emoticon inserted here).

...I link the two out of heartfelt sympathy for the opposition.   So come to think of it, I do like yer OP better :bouncy:

What I remember was that up to that point, I had never stopped watching or listening to a game early, but also had never witnessed Scotland ever score a last minute winner, you know then everyone's thinking, is there any chance of a last gasp winner, and it never happens. So I left (to play a game of actual football as it happens) (I seem to recall it was in the late afternoon or early evening?), and was pleasantly or embarrassingly surprised to find they'd scored!

The Liechtenstein home win had a different feel. While the Cyprus game had seemed, if I remember, like grabbing a precious away win on the road to qualification, the Liechtenstein game was I seem to remember in a dire period when the football was not enjoyable and you could not even have any confidence of winning any game at all. So the goal when it came was as much relief as anything (and I seem to recall people being embarrassed that they/we were even celebrating). However there was so much pent up frustration in the stand, probably over a number of a games, you couldn't help celebrating every goal as rare and precious.

And also we never seem to get that many minutes' injury time when you need it, never mind actually score.

So when I say I left 'early', I mean I probably left during injury time, probably thinking well what are the chances of missing anything... Gough scored in I think 96 or 97 minutes.

I see the game was played in early February, so if I was playing football outside in natural light, it must have been afternoon (?)

Edited by exile

6 hours ago, Toepoke said:

The story I heard was Roxburgh had watched Costa Rica and the keeper was dodgy with cross balls so he picked Rambo up front. However their goalie played a blinder and stopped nearly every cross. Turned out it was a different goalkeeper. 

There is a litany of examples where rather than play our best players we tried to throw a curve ball - almost always never working

That was one of the worst

I always felt McCoist got a raw deal at finals tournaments when he was by far Scotland's most prolific striker

6 hours ago, exile said:

And also we never seem to get that many minutes' injury time when you need it, never mind actually score.

So when I say I left 'early', I mean I probably left during injury time, probably thinking well what are the chances of missing anything... Gough scored in I think 96 or 97 minutes.

I see the game was played in early February, so if I was playing football outside in natural light, it must have been afternoon (?)

It was a lunchtime kick off (here).  I watched the first half on a big screen in Glasgow Uni Union, but had to go to a lecture. Ended up getting the final score from the janny in the engineering building. 

1 hour ago, Toepoke said:

It was a lunchtime kick off (here).  I watched the first half on a big screen in Glasgow Uni Union, but had to go to a lecture. Ended up getting the final score from the janny in the engineering building. 

OK that makes sense. Though not so sure why a midweek game would be an afternoon (in Cyprus) kickoff. 

When you look at there team that day, it's all solid established internationals (or maybe ageing, by the time they got to the finals?)

All playing for 'big teams' of their day - apart from maybe Speedie who was at Coventry (but who first played for Scotland when at Chelsea, ironically the lowliest club at the time) 

Jim Leighton

Maurice Malpas

Alex McLeish

David Narey

Steve Nicol

Richard Gough

Roy Aitken

Brian McClair

Paul McStay

Mo Johnston

David Speedie