Moving jobs in public sector - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Moving jobs in public sector

Looking for a bit of advice from anyone that works in public sector...

I moved from private -> public 2 years ago. Now starting to look at options for my next move within local/central government. 

What I’m not sure of is etiquette for applying for jobs. i.e. is it expected to be above board and notify my manager prior to any application? Or is it reasonable enough to apply for a job first and only notify them if I get to interview stage? 

Previously in private sector everything was kept under the radar so felt a bit more straightforward in not worrying about burning bridges in my current position. 

Edited by AlfieMoon

• 2 weeks later...

working in private  - any internal application is immediately flagged to manager 

I would be annoyed if any reportee didn't pre-notify me, because normally would expect to work with them to achieve their goals, and sponsor them into roles which may not go as far as being initially advertised - I've changed roles around 6-8 times internally in 15 years in Company and  never applied for any until after the fact.

+ by Policy we can block someone unless they been in role 2 years - i was blocked for applying for promotion