Naismith out for the season - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Naismith out for the season

andyD

2 minutes ago, Chripper said:

I don't even consider Naismith a Scotland player anymore.

And that matters why?

McLeish played him in the last 4 games he was available for, and he stated the last 3, getting 2 goals and 2 assists.
If he'd been fit he would have been in the squad next week.

1 minute ago, andyD said:

And that matters why?

McLeish played him in the last 4 games he was available for, and he stated the last 3, getting 2 goals and 2 assists.
If he'd been fit he would have been in the squad next week.

Well, it matters because if I don't consider him a Scotland player I'm not really bothered whether he's injured or not.

It's time to look forward, not back.

I do love the instant fuck him attitude of Scotland fans to veteran players when they hit a hurdle. And then later they are all confused as to why players dont really give a fuck about playing for Scotland.

I have always rated Naismith, tidy wee player who can make a difference in games. He should retire from this shit show and concentrate on getting a couple of more years at it with a club, infinitely more rewarding than playing for Scotland and their fans.

4 minutes ago, thplinth said:

I do love the instant fuck him attitude of Scotland fans to veteran players when they hit a hurdle. And then later they are all confused as to why players dont really give a fuck about playing for Scotland.

I have always rated Naismith, tidy wee player who can make a difference in games. He should retire from this shit show and concentrate on getting a couple of more years at it with a club, infinitely more rewarding than playing for Scotland and their fans.

Naismith is one of my favourite players from recent years but it's simply the end of the line for his international career. 

Some of us just don't want veteran players being brought along "for auld times sake" or because they are nice guys.

10 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Yeh that attitude towards him is shit, he helped us out when we needed a striker so should be given credit for that. Hopefully he can get over this and come back strong and get into the squad again. However at 32 and with young guys coming up we should probably look to the future with regards our striking options. 

22 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Some of us just don't want veteran players being brought along "for auld times sake" or because they are nice guys.

Surely the reason he might have made the squad was because he was the 2nd highest scoring Scottish player in the world.. and scored 2 and made 2 in his last 3 internationals. 'for auld times sake' seems unfairly dismissive.

I'm not particularly a fan of Naismith, but if we're picking on merit, then he would have been in the squad, no question.

17 minutes ago, andyD said:

Surely the reason he might have made the squad was because he was the 2nd highest scoring Scottish player in the world.. and scored 2 and made 2 in his last 3 internationals. 'for auld times sake' seems unfairly dismissive.

I'm not particularly a fan of Naismith, but if we're picking on merit, then he would have been in the squad, no question.

Time to move on for me. 

We did fine against Albania and Israel without him.

We are where we are with strikers. Some may see Naismith as being past it etc though his recent stats for us suggest otherwise. Look at Fletcher - if anything he seemed even more yesterday's man in the twilight of his career and suddenly he is back as a mainstay in the squad and undroppable with contribution certainly no better than Naismith of late.

Don't take that the wrong way as I see Fletch a valuable addition as is Naismith.

29 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Time to move on for me. 

We did fine against Albania and Israel without him.

We did OK against Albania and Israel because McLeish recalled another player who is past his prime. 

What’s your thoughts on Steven Fletcher bring back in the squad? 

8 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

We did OK against Albania and Israel because McLeish recalled another player who is past his prime. 

What’s your thoughts on Steven Fletcher bring back in the squad? 

I accept that Fletcher has to be in the squad for now.

Fletcher and Naismith different kinds of forwards anyway.

52 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

I accept that Fletcher has to be in the squad for now.

Fletcher and Naismith different kinds of forwards anyway.

Interesting that you feel it’s time to move on from Naismith but you’re happy for Fletcher to be picked when both did well for us over the course of the Nations League. 

Ideally we shouldn’t need Naismith again but if we are stuck for a fit striker again next season then I won’t have a problem with him being selected if he’s fit and playing well. 

I thought Fletcher was excellent against Albania and Israel in our last two games and I wouldn’t be surprised if he started in Kazakhstan but hopefully the two younger strikers continue to improve and break into the team.  

12 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Interesting that you feel it’s time to move on from Naismith but you’re happy for Fletcher to be picked when both did well for us over the course of the Nations League. 

If you had bothered to read my post, I said that Fletcher are different kinds of forward. That's why I'm fine with Fletcher being picked for the moment.

In any event I look forward to emerging replacements for Fletcher coming forward pretty soon.

29 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

If you had bothered to read my post, I said that Fletcher are different kinds of forward. That's why I'm fine with Fletcher being picked for the moment.

In any event I look forward to emerging replacements for Fletcher coming forward pretty soon.

I did read your post. No need to be unpleasant although I have come to expect it from you.

What does Naismith being a different type of striker have to do with anything? Surely if ‘it’s time to move on’ from the old guard then this should apply to Fletcher as well? It’s not as if Naismith is a lumbering, overweight lummox as some strikers turn into when they get a bit older.

We’re not exactly flush with great strikers so McLeish may well need to call on Naismith again next season if the other strikers are injured or out of form. 

12 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I did read your post. No need to be unpleasant although I have come to expect it from you.

Well why don't you call the sheriff then big boy ?

As for the difference between them. Fletcher is a target man. Naismith is a busybody around the box. 

2 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Well why don't you call the sheriff then big boy ?

As for the difference between them. Fletcher is a target man. Naismith is a busybody around the box. 

Big boy? Great patter mate.

Thanks for pointing out the obvious but I wasn’t asking you the difference between the two players. I was asking why the players being different made a difference to why one should still be considered and the other shouldn’t. 

6 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Big boy? Great patter mate.

Thanks for pointing out the obvious but I wasn’t asking you the difference between the two players. I was asking why the players being different made a difference to why one should still be considered and the other shouldn’t. 

Probably because wee things like this annoy you so much :-))