Scott McTominay - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scott McTominay

SWMM82

15 minutes ago, JECK said:

If McTominay and that lad Ethan Hamilton could progress to form a Scottish centre mid at Man U that would be quite something. I reckon Hamiltons got more in his locker aswell

The pre-season friendlies will be a good opportunity for Hamilton to catch Solskjær's eye.

And this just appeared on the BBC website tonight

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/scotland/47491069

Scott McTominay will inspire Scottish footballers after starring in the Champions League, says former Manchester United midfielder Darren Fletcher.

Fletcher said the midfielder, 22, was "unbelievable" as United beat Paris St-Germain to reach the quarter-finals.

He believes Scotland international McTominay will only get better.

"It gives other Scottish players the belief that they can go on and do it," Fletcher told BBC Scotland Sportsound.

"We're patriotic and we want to see other Scottish players do well, and it's great to see him in the latter stages of the Champions League.

"I remember watching Barry Ferguson in the Champions League for Rangers playing against top teams, and I saw him getting man of the match, running and controlling the game. That gave me belief that I could go and do that."

McTominay has been capped five times for Scotland since making his debut against Costa Rica in March 2018.

He has started United's past four matches under caretaker-manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.

Fletcher said: "I thought he was unbelievable all night [against PSG] and I thought he was one of the catalysts for the performance because [Marco] Verratti is their playmaker, and Scott was like a rash all over him.

"He pressed him and he kept putting his hands on him and annoying him, frustrating him. He just did not stop, he knew what his role was.

"He was unbelievable against Liverpool as well.

"Fair play to him. He came in last week and did fantastic. He started this season a little bit slow with injuries, but he's come back in and stepped up to the plate and he's not let anyone down."

Comparisons have inevitably been made with Dalkeith-born Fletcher, who spent 12 years at Old Trafford, winning the Premier League title five times and helping the club reach the Champions League final twice.

"You can see the comparison," said Fletcher. "People see a Scottish lad, tall, playing for the team, being the energy, being the legs, doing the unseen work and giving the other players a platform to go and do it.

"He'll want to grow into himself like I did in terms of being more of an influence in terms of passing and being a dynamic force, but you've got to bide your time for that, you've got to earn the respect of your fellow team-mates.

"You've got to do the job you're given and he went out there and did the defensive side to the letter, and that discipline side of his game is what's going to help him in the future.

"It gives you a personal boost because you know you can compete against these players, it gives you no fear. You start giving opposition players no respect because sometimes you can give them too much respect."

4 hours ago, andyD said:

I would honestly put Liam Palmer in at right back, having seen him a fair bit lately, he's been excellent. Strong defensively, calm and with the legs to get forward.

Armstrong's been a consistently good performer for Scotland. I think it'd be difficult to pick an 11 from the upcoming squad which didn't include him.

Regardless of Snoddy's age, he's playing consistently well at West Ham, often in the central attacking mid slot.  I would rather have Christie as his mobility is a real asset along side the wide men, but having someone who plays every week in the premier league as a back up is a luxury we've not had in a long time.

I look forward to your teamsheet.. should be entertaining ;)

I've never seen Liam Palmer play, but I'll take your word for it and get him in the squad. God knows we could do with a good right back.

I agree (apart from the major mistake against England). I just wish that he didn't join Southampton. Regardless, I hope that he can break into the Southampton first team as we can't really afford how players not to be match fit.

Well, if it's a choice between Snodgrass and Christie I'd choose Snodgrass all day long. Christie has had a good season, but we'll see whether or not he improves next season. But yes, I'm a massive fan of Snodgrass. In sheer technical ability he's probably the best player we have. Technically he's always been fantastic.

:lol: Oh, it'll blow people's socks off!

The squad will probably be named on Monday.

If McGregor isn't fit then form wise, McTominay has to be first pick in the middle of the park. 
Strange one with Armstrong, he started to find a bit of form and looked like one of the few positives in a struggling side and then he's struggled for minutes since the new manager came in.

McLeish is naming the squad on Tuesday I believe