The New Scottish Cup Thread - Page 19 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The New Scottish Cup Thread

I thought both were sending offs, no doubt about either in my opinion. An intelligent player in Balls position would have assessed the situation quickly, realised he wasn't going to win and pull out, it was utter madness from him.

5 minutes ago, Mox said:

I thought both were sending offs, no doubt about either in my opinion. An intelligent player in Balls position would have assessed the situation quickly, realised he wasn't going to win and pull out, it was utter madness from him.

Yeah, I don't think there were any controversial decisions from the referee if I'm honest. All looked correct to me.

25 minutes ago, Morrisandmoo said:

Yeah, I don't think there were any controversial decisions from the referee if I'm honest. All looked correct to me.

Balls first yellow?

Craig Thomson clearly indicates it’s for persistent fouling, but he hadn’t committed any other fouls.

The 2nd yellow is understandable, but rarely given from my memory. Boyata one not even being a foul is a good example. He arrives late and catches the player....

Ferguson lunge was ridiculous and is a red all day. He does appear to pull out to an extent, but it was too late.

52 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Nope I'm not at anything. I thought you didn't care about Aberdeen but here you are again all over that very topic.

hahaha, we're discussing a game that was on yesterday. One in which there was several controversial incidents.

I'm not the only non Celtic/Aberdeen fan commenting.

Am I not allowed to comment on a game just because it involves you lot? Gies peace!

1 hour ago, Terry Munro said:

You clip someone's heel from behind in the penalty area then it is a penalty. Nothing "soft" about it 

For Thomson being so biased towards Celtic, he should have given a penalty for the shirt pull on Eduoard but instead gave Aberdeen a free kick.

There didn’t look to be much if any contact with his heel, and certainly not enough to cause him to go down the way he did. I though it was soft, thought Hayes looked a bit sheepish afterwards too...

Agree on Edouard one, if there’s any foul it’s by the defender. Not much in it either way.

3 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

You really are an asshole

He is. Used to be a decent poster but has turned in to a snidey wee dick who contributes fuck all positive to any thread he posts in.

2 hours ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

Your memory is playing up. "Piling into the back of GMS".........didn't happen. He would actually be some sort of player if he managed to both pile into the back of him and smash him in the face at the same time.

GMS was the one who attacked the ball and headed Boyata. Different from yesterday where Ball is the one who has the momentum and flies into Christie. 

Seen a lot of Aberdeen fans comparing the two. They aren't comparable apart from two players suffered head injuries.

Disagree totally. GMS headed the ball and was hit late by Boyata. I thought at the time it was a penalty and having seen it many times since, still think it was one. The refereeing that day was utterly disgraceful. Topped off by Celtic getting a penalty for an accidental handball, a yard outside the box.  

43 minutes ago, Mox said:

An intelligent player in Balls position would have assessed the situation quickly, realised he wasn't going to win and pull out, it was utter madness from him.

Yeah, in all honesty i'm more angry at Ball than I am at Thomson for that red.

3 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

There didn’t look to be much if any contact with his heel, and certainly not enough to cause him to go down the way he did. I though it was soft, thought Hayes looked a bit sheepish afterwards too...

Looked like a dive at the slightest touch from Hayes. I didn't notice his heel being clipped, if that's the case then I may be wrong.

12 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Balls first yellow?

Craig Thomson clearly indicates it’s for persistent fouling, but he hadn’t committed any other fouls.

The 2nd yellow is understandable, but rarely given from my memory. Boyata one not even being a foul is a good example. He arrives late and catches the player....

Ferguson lunge was ridiculous and is a red all day. He does appear to pull out to an extent, but it was too late.

I think the first yellow is fine albeit fairly marginal, he's nowhere near the ball and looks like a 'I'll just take the man here in case he knocks the ball past me'. Would have been fine if it was just a foul too.

Not sure about the persistent element, maybe he was referring to the Aberdeen team as a whole or some foul play that the ref played on from? But as I say, I don't think it's a shocker even as a standalone yellow.

So I guess Aberdeen a bit unlucky it wasn't just a foul, but I can't see too much wrong with it being a yellow card either.

2nd yellow is more than deserved and heading towards a red. It was dangerous. Accept the point that not always given, but this instance looked particularly reckless. And really bad from where the referee was standing.

GMS was the one who attacked the ball and headed Boyata. 

What?

GMS heads Boyata...

Seriously?

1 hour ago, dandydunn said:

GMS headed the ball, Boyata then hit him after his attempt at goal was away. 

Correct.

1 hour ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

Nope. You will see what you want to see. Boyata makes no movement towards GMS or attempt to hit GMS. He is moving towards the ball, eyes on the ball, GMS gets there first heads the ball and his action in heading the ball sees him also head Boyata.

So, which is it?

21 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Balls first yellow?

He absolutely does.

11 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Disagree totally. GMS headed the ball and was hit late by Boyata

Correct.

GMS gets to the ball first and heads the ball on goal forcing the keeper to make a save.

In doing so, GMS left the side of his head exposed and Boyata arrived late and knocked him out.

24 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Looked like a dive at the slightest touch from Hayes. I didn't notice his heel being clipped, if that's the case then I may be wrong.

I thought it was a fairly soft penalty at the time (similar to Shinnies at Pittodrie), but there is more contact when you see it replayed.

33 minutes ago, Scotty CTA said:

So, which is it?

Try not selectively bolding certain parts of a sentence to make a point. I will say it again but please read the whole sentence. Boyata make no movement TOWARDS GMS or ATTEMPT TO HIT GMS. He is moving towards the ball, eyes on the ball. Watch the clip.

This was originally said to disprove DD's comment about Boyata "piling into the back of GMS". Which he didn't.

GMS gets to the ball first, heads it, his action in heading the ball sees him follow through and head Boyata's head. Boyata's head doesn't make any movement towards GMS.

1 hour ago, Morrisandmoo said:

The only booking I found harsh was Ball's first. 

Ferguson was just stupid, he was a red card waiting to happen. 

Forrest would have got his foul if he never threw himself forward like he did.

Not sure of this is true but I was told brown committed more fouls than any player who received a card yesterday but never got booked. 

13 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

The only booking I found harsh was Ball's first. 

Ferguson was just stupid, he was a red card waiting to happen. 

Forrest would have got his foul if he never threw himself forward like he did.

Not sure of this is true but I was told brown committed more fouls than any player who received a card yesterday but never got booked. 

I thought Ball's first was very harsh. He was evening up cards after, wrongly, giving Forrest one. Forrest over-exaggerated but surely the correct decision is still a free kick to Celtic.

13 minutes ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

I thought Ball's first was very harsh. He was evening up cards after, wrongly, giving Forrest one. Forrest over-exaggerated but surely the correct decision is still a free kick to Celtic.

I can't say for sure but I reckon Thomson booked him because he took a big dive which wasn't warranted considering the level of contact, thats a blatant dive. Thomson maybe felt Forrest tried to con him into thinking it was a penalty. I was as surprised as anyone to see Thomson dish out the yellow because Thomson is a fuckwit

1 hour ago, Morrisandmoo said:

I think the first yellow is fine albeit fairly marginal, he's nowhere near the ball and looks like a 'I'll just take the man here in case he knocks the ball past me'. Would have been fine if it was just a foul too.

Not sure about the persistent element, maybe he was referring to the Aberdeen team as a whole or some foul play that the ref played on from? But as I say, I don't think it's a shocker even as a standalone yellow.

So I guess Aberdeen a bit unlucky it wasn't just a foul, but I can't see too much wrong with it being a yellow card either.

2nd yellow is more than deserved and heading towards a red. It was dangerous. Accept the point that not always given, but this instance looked particularly reckless. And really bad from where the referee was standing.

That’s a pretty fair assessment, Balls first yellow in isolation wasn’t a horrendous decision, it was the apparent reasoning he was indicating that made it strange. Was a very soft yellow all the same. It’s death by a thousand cuts with Thomson, my experience of him as a referee is that he tends to favour the big side and can get really card happy.

I’m sure old firm fans will remember if he’s ever given a wrong or marginal game changing decision against either of them?

31 minutes ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

Yeah. I think it was a free kick to Celtic but Forrest throwing himself forward to try and get a penalty made Thomson book him for diving.

16 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

I believe that’s Craig Thomson’s motto.

😜

Haha

4 hours ago, Terry Munro said:

Boyata's was a genuine 50/50 to be fair. Bell decides to jump well after Christie and isn't anywhere near the ball. It was dangerous play.

GMS had already headed the ball before Boyata clattered him, which is the same as Balls challenge. They are both really bad challenges but only one gets punished, add on that the GMS one would also have resulted in a penalty. All we want is consistency  from refs, it would make for a better game and lessen the conspiracy theories.

8 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Has anyone seen what McInnes did yesterday to get sent off?

I have seen pictures, is it meant to be the red hand of ulster?

The song about him would be justified then if that's the case

Also, that song started after he was sent off and this whole "reacted to sectarian abuse" excuse was actually prompted to him by the interviewer on radio Scotland.

1 minute ago, Terry Munro said:

Also, that song started after he was sent off and this whole "reacted to sectarian abuse" excuse was actually prompted to him by the interviewer on radio Scotland.

utter pish, celtic fans were singing that song when he was on the touchline

20 minutes ago, Terry Munro said:

I’ve got no vested interest in this debate, but that is complete bollocks I clearly heard it on tv sung at least twice before the sending off.