March 2019 squads - Page 8 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

March 2019 squads

PASTA Mick

10 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Looks like it’s an agreement between McLeish and the clubs, but could have been handled better and explained that Fletcher will be getting treatment during the international break, and unlike Fraser and Patterson he is excused for both games rather than just Kazakhstan (as these players are not carrying injuries, just their clubs do not want the risk taken.... I also suspect the location/travel factor is a big say in this also.... if we were playing Latvia or Estonia and then San Marino, I do not think we would have seen anything like this).

Not ideal, but if it means Fletcher, Fraser and Patterson are fit for the big game in Belgium in June, it’s a small sacrifice for these two games (as said before, I feel there is still enough quality in the squad that we will be ok over these two games).

I hope your right and it is an agreement however based on the statements from Eck and Faddy there is no mention of that, what a shambles. I'm scared to ask when the team travel.

So Fletch went over on his ankle against Sheffield United two weeks ago, but played on regardless.
Last week he went off, holding his ankle.

So safe to assume his ankle needs some rest and the international break is a good time to do that.

There's a number of factors..
Wednesday still having an outside chance of sneaking into the playoffs
Fletch has been out injured a lot in the last year and had ankle surgery.
The plastic pitch in Kazakhstan would certainly not help. (We have fully fit players not playing on it!)

It's pretty safe to assume we wouldn't have wanted to risk Fletcher on the plastic pitch, so it is then a choice of call him up for San Marino, or let him rest and hopefully get fit and well for the big games later in the year.

I don't think any of this is crazy.
To say Fletch should never play for us again seems bonkers to me.
McLeish should certainly have spent longer talking about it in the squad announcement presser.
The journo's present should probably have asked more about it (and about Snodgrass, Cairney etc. but they're frankly a bit crap at their jobs)

4 minutes ago, andyD said:

So Fletch went over on his ankle against Sheffield United two weeks ago, but played on regardless.
Last week he went off, holding his ankle.

So safe to assume his ankle needs some rest and the international break is a good time to do that.

There's a number of factors..
Wednesday still having an outside chance of sneaking into the playoffs
Fletch has been out injured a lot in the last year and had ankle surgery.
The plastic pitch in Kazakhstan would certainly not help. (We have fully fit players not playing on it!)

It's pretty safe to assume we wouldn't have wanted to risk Fletcher on the plastic pitch, so it is then a choice of call him up for San Marino, or let him rest and hopefully get fit and well for the big games later in the year.

I don't think any of this is crazy.
To say Fletch should never play for us again seems bonkers to me.
McLeish should certainly have spent longer talking about it in the squad announcement presser.
The journo's present should probably have asked more about it (and about Snodgrass, Cairney etc. but they're frankly a bit crap at their jobs)

Good post. 

Better communication around this and Snodgrass / Cairney would be ideal. 

27 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

It’s sad but these type of games just aren’t as important to some players as it is the fans 

And to be honest, this is hardly a new thing.... but at the moment I feel all these call off's/request not to play are legit or at least out of Ecks hands.... I think people are just wanting to make a mountain out of a mole hill (when we are going into a game v San Marino of all teams...... Kazakhstan is a slight concern, but I am expecting nothing worse than Albania)

18 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Good post. 

Better communication around this and Snodgrass / Cairney would be ideal. 

McLeish has always been the kind of guy that does not air his dirty washing out in the open and tries to avoid the press jumping on things like this.

From a fans point of view it would be better to get a better answer on these type of thing, but Levin was one for using the press to give his thoughts on certain matters and look how that turned out.

Edited by wanderer

If we get the win in Kazakhstan then this will all be water under the bridge. However, if we have one of our stupid away draws or losses and questions are raised about our lack of attacking threat, all eyes will be looking towards Fraser and Fletcher and asking "where the fuck were you lads?". Could go really badly for their reputations with the TA. 

7 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

If we get the win in Kazakhstan then this will all be water under the bridge. However, if we have one of our stupid away draws or losses and questions are raised about our lack of attacking threat, all eyes will be looking towards Fraser and Fletcher and asking "where the fuck were you lads?". Could go really badly for their reputations with the TA. 

While that could happen, the only team Kazakhstan have been able to beat since 2016 has been Andorra. Famous last words, but if we can replicate Albania, we really should have very little to worry about.

Flip side, Burke or McBurnie could go out and get 4-5 goals in the next two games and that suddenly gives McLeish something to think about come June.

Only player I am really concerned about losing is Fraser, but I think we have a good enough replacement in the squad.

I think i was rash not wishing Fletcher not to play for us again, unless there was exaggeration on is part.  Faddy seemed to have been delegated the task to add clarity and didn't do that sufficiently.  All it would have needed is a comment from Eck or Faddy to say, we spoke with Fletcher and we felt with his layoff's he needs the break to recover, and after discussing with the medical staff that the plastic pitch would not be recommended for him, we have a great squad and this is a great opportunity for others to make their mark.  

I almost added, We are playing San Marino and we have the tools to line up a cricket score with or without Fletcher - But that would be unprofessional. 

What I now feel the issue is, poor communication from our coaching staff and a possible assumption on their part.  Its possible with the other 2 sitting out the plastic pitch a 3rd man was too much - however when was the last time we had a 28 man squad? 

6 hours ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Are we now getting players crying off certain games, just incase they get injured? I might call in sick tomorrow just incase I have an accident.

It would appear so.

If it is a case of the plastic pitch then it only comes into force for one match. I suppose we don't need him to beat San Marino, though.

For what it's worth here's my views on the squad.

Liam Palmer (27)- years of mediocrity for a mediocre team in the championship. Forget the fact that we don't have any recognised right backs we have better all round players in the squad that could adapt to the position better than he is. As some one once said it's not cricket we are asking them to play.

Kenny Mclean (27) Worthy of 5 starts in the championship. enough said.

Graeme Shinnie(27) and never risked life out side the SPL and people talk about Tierney. Or is it because no one out side Scotland thought he was good enough.

Barry Bannan (29) At his age a proven championship player also proven as not capable of being any more than that.

Marc Mcnulty (26) Not good enough for the championship but half a dozen goals in the SPL make him an international prospect.

Johnny Russel (28) Can only assume he is in the squad because he plays on Plastic pitches in the states

Lewis Morgan (22) Has he played 90 minutes anywhere since he left ST Mirren?

Seven, mostly too old players with next to no international experience.

Not Sure why I haven't included John Fleck in my list of negatives, probably because he appears to be improving rather than just being static at an average level.

I have been championing Jordan Archer for the last two or three years but surely Marshall or Gordon should have been third choice keeper simply to have some experience in the squad that would help some of the younger players.

Not sure who I would have in their places but there have been plenty of young players names bandied about on here.

Bottom line a couple of pull outs and we may well up the creek without a paddle.

3 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

For what it's worth here's my views on the squad.

Liam Palmer (27)- years of mediocrity for a mediocre team in the championship. Forget the fact that we don't have any recognised right backs we have better all round players in the squad that could adapt to the position better than he is. As some one once said it's not cricket we are asking them to play.

Kenny Mclean (27) Worthy of 5 starts in the championship. enough said.

Graeme Shinnie(27) and never risked life out side the SPL and people talk about Tierney. Or is it because no one out side Scotland thought he was good enough.

Barry Bannan (29) At his age a proven championship player also proven as not capable of being any more than that.

Marc Mcnulty (26) Not good enough for the championship but half a dozen goals in the SPL make him an international prospect.

Johnny Russel (28) Can only assume he is in the squad because he plays on Plastic pitches in the states

Lewis Morgan (22) Has he played 90 minutes anywhere since he left ST Mirren?

Your view of Palmer suggests you've not seen him play at all in at least the last 3 months. He's been excellent. Made a lot of Wednesday fans change their opinion of him and even looked decent against Willian in the Chelsea game. On current form he's head and shoulders above Paterson and O'Donnell defensively and is a willing outlet going forwards. If you've not seen a player play, then I'd be reticent to pass judgement on him.

McLean's made 5 starts because he was out after surgery to correct an ankle problem. He's now recovered and started the last 5 games and played the full 90 in all of those, getting 2 goals and 2 assists. His club are top of the Championship and look pretty sure to be promoted. He's a first 11 players for them and making very obvious contributions. So your "worthy of 5 starts" is at best misrespresenting the situation.

Shinnie is a workhorse. Quite often what you need off the bench is just energy, he brings that, and has bought it in previous games coming off the bench. Performing well for his club and a worthy inclusion.

Bannan.. a slightly odd inclusion, along with Fleck and McNulty. He's decent. A very influential player in the Championship, but not sure he's needed in the squad.

McNulty. A bizarre inclusion. Rhodes, Harper or even Hardie would have made some sense. Don't understand this one at all.

Russell. One of relatively few available wide men. We don't have a lot of depth out wide. Burke's becoming a striker, no desire to see Ritchie again, Phillips seems to struggle for us, Snoddy (31) plays centrally these days, Hastie is in the youth side. Russell is a known quantity for us and is a decent player in a position we don't have much to turn to.

Morgan. Again, we're short of wide men. He's a good age and he did well against Peru and Mexico. Probably wasn't much in it between him and GMS, and Morgan has age on his side. He's also unlikely to play, given he's 4th choice, but perhaps a cameo against San Marino.

So mostly.. i disagree with you.
We're on the same page with Bannan and McNulty. But I don't see a need for Fleck in these games either.
Calling up 9 center mids is weird, no two ways about that. but the bulk are the right players to be in the squad.

Rhodes - doesn't really suit our playing style nor is he in any great form. McNulty from what I have heard offers hold up play and is in form, I haven't seen him play but the stats explain in my mind why he is present in the squad.  Lets see the fitness of McBurnie, if he is fit he starts for me but I want to see McNulty to get some game time otherwise its a wasted opportunity especially if things are going plan. Steven Fletcher seems like we have to use him carefully and who knows the story with Leigh Griffiths, we need to look at other options.

Edited by romanticscot

44 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Excellent news as 3 pish players have called off with injuries;

Charlie Mulgrew 

Jodsan Archer 

Barry Bannan

called up;

Stuart Findlay 

Liam Kelly

Findlay & Kelly should have been in the original squad anyway IMO

I agree. I was disappointed Kelly & Findlay weren’t selected originally. 

Kelly is much better than Archer and I’d probably pick him over McLaughlin too

1 hour ago, csinclair said:

I agree. I was disappointed Kelly & Findlay weren’t selected originally. 

Kelly is much better than Archer and I’d probably pick him over McLaughlin too

I'm pleased to see Kelly get a call up. 

Not long ago there was a lot of anger on here about Scotland refusing to play young players. You don't hear that any more. Ok, thete's nobody under 20 but the average age must be very low.

While on the topic of Livingston, I would call up Craig Halkett, too. 23 years old, the club captain, and possibly moving to Hearts.

I'd also bring in another 23 year old in the shape of Jack Harper, if nothing else than to see what he could bring to the team.

Have we got a better 11 out of the match than eligible to play now then? 😕

Out:
McGregor
Paterson - Mulgrew - McKenna - Robertson
Snodgrass - Christie - Bannan - Fraser
Fletcher - Griffiths

Probable:
Bain
Palmer - Bates - Findlay - Tierney
McTominay - McGregor
Forrest - Armstrong - Morgan
Burke