March 2019 squads - Page 6 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

March 2019 squads

PASTA Mick

Just now, ProudScot said:

McGregor, McArthur & Brown the very obvious ones you’ve missed out. 

McArthur I have never rated, brown is 33 and decided to retire, happens with all countries national teams, McGregor is a decent keeper and is a loss but Bain appears to be doing well for Celtic. The squad is nearly exactly what I wanted for tbh, I would of included Craig Gordon but McLeish has not left out any of our best performing players. He's basically picked a squad that allows our best line up imo, minus McGregor (keeper)

3 minutes ago, Chripper said:

I'm talking about midfielders who could play for a top side.

McTominay is a good player, but Armstrong can't break into a struggling Southampton team and McGregor hasn't been tested. McGinn is a bomb scare.

I'd say that all of our midfielders are EPL standard, but lower-mid table teams.

Yeh they are lower half epl players but that's better than what most countries have, for a country our size it's unlikely we will produce three midfielders that play at top European clubs. Your expectations are quite high considering we don't qualify for tournaments. Remember we are playing Kazakhstan and San marino, as long as we have midfielders better than most countries then we should do ok. Tbf mctominay could make it at man utd.

1 minute ago, mccaughey85 said:

Yeh they are lower half epl players but that's better than what most countries have, for a country our size it's unlikely we will produce three midfielders that play at top European clubs. Your expectations are quite high considering we don't qualify for tournaments. Remember we are playing Kazakhstan and San marino, as long as we have midfielders better than most countries then we should do ok. Tbf mctominay could make it at man utd.

The EPL is vastly overrated. People look at the cash and the wages and the transfer fees and it clouds peoples judgements. Take out the top 6 and it's just an extension of the Championship. If players like Arfield and McArthur can make it (average players) in the EPL then Fleck, McGinn, etc, certainly could.

To be honest, I can't see us beating Kazakhstan. I just don't think we have enough quality.

McTominay is head and shoulders above the rest of the midfielders. No idea why he was dropped for Matic at the weekend as Scott has been superb for the past 3 or 4 games. I wish SAF was still in charge at United as he would've loved Scott McTominay. There's talk that Ethan Hamilton is actually better than McTominay, but for some reason he isn't even in the Under 21 squad.

1 hour ago, bazmidd said:

McNulty has only scored 7 in all competitions this season 1 in English Championship, 1 in Scottish Cup and 5 in Scottish Premiership. Not that great a record tbh and I don't see a top 4 Primera Liga team taking an interest in Marc McNulty for those 3 extra goals he has scored over the season so far. Bearing in mind this is also Harpers first season in senior football he has had a slight dip in form but up until then had been hailed as the breakthrough player of the year in a league probably equivalent to the English Championship and done enough to earn a contract with the team sitting 4th in the Primera Liga, definitely worth a look if you ask me. Time on his side I suppose and hopefully McNulty proves he can cut it also. 

McNulty has scored  6 goals in 8 appearances for Hibs this year, his 2019 is off to as good as start as could be expected, on record alone he warrants a start above Burke.  This is only judging players on paper, temperament, supply and other qualities come into it.  You do raise a great point and I really hope that Harper and McNulty both move on and prove they can cut it.  It pains me to say but I think Jordan Rhodes as a Scottish player is done.  

2 minutes ago, Chripper said:

The EPL is vastly overrated. People look at the cash and the wages and the transfer fees and it clouds peoples judgements. Take out the top 6 and it's just an extension of the Championship. If players like Arfield and McArthur can make it (average players) in the EPL then Fleck, McGinn, etc, certainly could.

To be honest, I can't see us beating Kazakhstan. I just don't think we have enough quality.

McTominay is head and shoulders above the rest of the midfielders. No idea why he was dropped for Matic at the weekend as Scott has been superb for the past 3 or 4 games. I wish SAF was still in charge at United as he would've loved Scott McTominay. There's talk that Ethan Hamilton is actually better than McTominay, but for some reason he isn't even in the Under 21 squad.

The epl might be overrated but most of the players that play there are good enough for international football. Alot of smaller countries would be happy to have a midfielder at Southampton and man utd. We easily have better players than Kazakhstan so we should be looking to beat them. If we can't beat them then we are being badly managed.

Just now, mccaughey85 said:

The epl might be overrated but most of the players that play there are good enough for international football. Alot of smaller countries would be happy to have a midfielder at Southampton and man utd. We easily have better players than Kazakhstan so we should be looking to beat them. If we can't beat them then we are being badly managed.

I think we should be aiming for better than a couple of midfielders in the EPL. 

Well, McLeish is a bad manager, so....

My prediction is that we'll be fighting with Kazakhstan for 3rd. Belgium and Russia will run away with the group.

we tend to struggle against wee teams away from home. we struggle with big teams also but tend to play better against them even if we don't get the result. Scotland seem to always play poorly away from home against teams we are expected to beat. if we get another Albania away performance - one that bucked the trend - we will easily beat Kazakhstan. That will suggest that McLeish has perhaps stumbled on to something. If however we revert to an Israel away type performance then we are in for a long miserable campaign. 

The jury remains out but I am cautiously optimistic. Shame Christie is injured though.....

43 minutes ago, Return of Yermaw said:

and I am probably in the minority of one who is always happy to see Bannan in the squad. 

Bannan has played best for Scotland when we're up against so called weaker sides who like to sit back. He seems to be good at unlocking their defences but struggles against better sides. He might come in handy in the next 2 games...

Spent about 10 minutes in the pub at lunchtime trying to work out how on earth McNulty was (SSN only had surnames listed). Thought he was some promising youngster dragged up from the highland leagues.

Thought to myself "no way it can be Marc McNulty, couldn't get a game at Reading and now can't get in ahead of Amadou Bakayoko for Coventry........"

Guess Matt Phillips has joined likes of Ritchie, Cairney and Bardsley on the naughty step.

Still pretty happy with rest of the squad and like some of the new faces like Fleck and Palmer.

Edit: Sorry got confused, he was at Coventry last season! He's a decent league one forward, just shows the continuing lack of depth at CF.

Edited by Tartan Chris

6 hours ago, wanderer said:

Reported on radio that the Bournemouth and Cardiff have requested they be excused as both players have had serious knee injuries in recent years, and Eck agreed to it

Disappointing news really.

We've seen in previous campaigns dropping points away to pot 4 teams has cost chance of qualification and Kazhakstan are an unknown quality but do pick up some decent home results.

Starting up with a draw there looks more likely without of the teams best players.

1 minute ago, Rab The Crab said:

Maybe that will alert Eck to the fact he’s fit.

looking back at eck's quotes today it seems maybe he's been asked to be left out? a lot of talk about how he's played a lot more football under Bruce and it's affecting his body