March 2019 squads - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

March 2019 squads

PASTA Mick

5 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Clubs can't decide.

Reported on radio that the Bournemouth and Cardiff have requested they be excused as both players have had serious knee injuries in recent years, and Eck agreed to it

Bain

O'Donnell/Palmer

Mckenna

Mulgrew/Bates

Robertson

McTominey

McGinn

Forrest 

Armstrong/McGregor

Fraser

Traffice cone or any of the other three players selected

Its not that bad when you also have Burke to come in if anything happens to Fraser, Forrest or even as an option upfront.

49 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

Who are the players you feel Eck could have made use of?

I'm feeling very positive. 

Probably need to put them in different categories now:

Injured

Christie, Phillips not fit, Is Callum McGregor going to be match fit? Fraser can't play? Why is he there?

Recently retired and/or taken the huff

Snodgrass, Ritchie, McGregor, McArthur (maybe more?) I'm not including Brown

Personal and/or not perhaps declaring for Scotland

Griffiths, Cairney, Cooper (maybe more)?

Regardless I'm always trying to see the positives, we've got some useful players particularly in midfield and plenty others on form. Just about getting the right balance for a starting 11.

I don't know if Marc McNulty is any good but I do know he has failed in the English Championship but yet has been picked ahead of a guy who has just signed a pre contract for a club chasing a Champions League spot. I can't make sense of that one but I hope he does well anyhow

3 minutes ago, N4Footsoldier said:

Fraser can't play? Why is he there?

To play in San Marino? While to good a player not to have in the squad, the game we need him most for is the game he is unable to play in, yet nobody really comes to mind who he is keeping out of the squad (Snodgrass only one that comes to mind, and I get the feeling his Scotland days are over with).

36 minutes ago, bazmidd said:

I don't know if Marc McNulty is any good but I do know he has failed in the English Championship but yet has been picked ahead of a guy who has just signed a pre contract for a club chasing a Champions League spot. I can't make sense of that one but I hope he does well anyhow

True, he didn't do much for Reading but since his move to Hibs he is in great form.  Who is the other player you mention? 

43 minutes ago, SWMM82 said:

Jack Harper I think....signed a pre-contract with Getafe

Harper has only scored about 4 goals this season, so still a long way to go before he is going to grab Ecks attention.

hopefully next season he can, but at moment just not doing enough.

McNulty has only scored 7 in all competitions this season 1 in English Championship, 1 in Scottish Cup and 5 in Scottish Premiership. Not that great a record tbh and I don't see a top 4 Primera Liga team taking an interest in Marc McNulty for those 3 extra goals he has scored over the season so far. Bearing in mind this is also Harpers first season in senior football he has had a slight dip in form but up until then had been hailed as the breakthrough player of the year in a league probably equivalent to the English Championship and done enough to earn a contract with the team sitting 4th in the Primera Liga, definitely worth a look if you ask me. Time on his side I suppose and hopefully McNulty proves he can cut it also. 

20 minutes ago, Jim Beem said:

Our squads really don’t make good reading lately 😂😂🙈

I don't think it's that bad a squad, we have a 22 year old player who was a star for man utd against psg, we have Robertson who is one of the best full backs in the world. We have Tierney who could go onto Robertson's level. We have Fraser who is attracting attention from the big 6 in England and has been one of the best players in the epl this season. Forrest is a good winger and we have good quality midfielders. The strength in depth is perhaps not there but our first team line up is good and it's a young team as well. A bit of positivity from someone who is usually a pessimist.

2 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

I don't think it's that bad a squad, we have a 22 year old player who was a star for man utd against psg, we have Robertson who is one of the best full backs in the world. We have Tierney who could go onto Robertson's level. We have Fraser who is attracting attention from the big 6 in England and has been one of the best players in the epl this season. Forrest is a good winger and we have good quality midfielders. The strength in depth is perhaps not there but our first team line up is good and it's a young team as well. A bit of positivity from someone who is usually a pessimist.

It's strange, full backs and wingers we're looking quite good but it's the middle of the field where we are awful.

This must be the worst bunch of central midfielders I've ever seen. Four English Championship central midfielders pretty much sums it up. I haven't seen enough of McBurnie to make a judgement, but up top we are so thin.

4 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

This squad says to me that our top players just don’t fancy play7ng for Scotland any more. As someone has pointed out you could pick 11 players that don’t fancy it but are still capable and they would most likely beat the 11 we put out.

What top players are missing, Snodgrass is a loss but he isn't better than what we have. Same goes for cairney, Griffith's is not playing for Celtic so it's not as if he's missing Scotland games for no reason. 

39 minutes ago, Chripper said:

It's strange, full backs and wingers we're looking quite good but it's the middle of the field where we are awful.

This must be the worst bunch of central midfielders I've ever seen. Four English Championship central midfielders pretty much sums it up. I haven't seen enough of McBurnie to make a judgement, but up top we are so thin.

Mctominay, Armstrong and McGregor are good central midfielders, all are epl quality imo, mcginn is good as well and will soon be out of the English championship in the summer.

3 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

What top players are missing, Snodgrass is a loss but he isn't better than what we have. Same goes for cairney, Griffith's is not playing for Celtic so it's not as if he's missing Scotland games for no reason. 

McGregor, McArthur & Brown the very obvious ones you’ve missed out. 

1 minute ago, mccaughey85 said:

Mctominay, Armstrong and McGregor are good central midfielders, all are epl quality imo, mcginn is good as well and will soon be out of the English championship in the summer.

I'm talking about midfielders who could play for a top side.

McTominay is a good player, but Armstrong can't break into a struggling Southampton team and McGregor hasn't been tested. McGinn is a bomb scare.

I'd say that all of our midfielders are EPL standard, but lower-mid table teams.