March 2019 squads - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

March 2019 squads

PASTA Mick

5 minutes ago, GHfaeGTA said:

Matt Phillips injured? Snodgrass finished with Scotland?

Phillips just back from a few weeks out injured. Imagine he will be on stand by, but the feel dragging him a 1/4 of the way around the world probably to much for him just now.

19 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

It looks like it is a pretty big squad.  It looks like he is expecting some players to pull out of the squad.

I really don't agree with calling up players from League 1.  McLaughlin and Morgan should not be included.

It does look like a squad that is low on quality 😖

10 players from the English League One/Championship tells us where we are.

1 minute ago, Chripper said:

10 players from the English League One/Championship tells us where we are.

I can accept players performing well in the Championship - but I want them to be playing well at the top end of the table. 

So annoying when you look at the players that are playing at a higher level, fit but unavailable - McGregor, Bardsley, Brown, Cairney, McArthur, Ritchie, Snodgrass.  Add in Griffiths and we've almost got a team that is better than what we will end up putting out in Kazakhstan. 

I wouldn't include McArthur in that as he's retired over physical issues and he's always put in a shift for Scotland.

Brown I don't think should have come out of retirement last time as he looked past his best at international level and I'd much rather have the likes of McGregor, McTominay & Armstrong

I'd love to see Cairney, Ritchie & Snoddy play again but it seems they each have their own individual reasons

26 minutes ago, kumnio said:

Archer, Bannan, Morgan and McNulty call ups are undeserved imo. 

McNulty has 5 goals in 6 games, I believe his form warrants a call up. He didn't have a good time in Reading but in the lower division he was on fire. His form he is in right now in the SPL warrants a closer look at in my view - I don't know much concerning his style to be sure his style suits us though. With a large squad it's a chance to have a look especially with no friendlies in 2019.

2 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

McNulty has 5 goals in 6 games, I believe his form warrants a call up. He didn't have a good time in Reading but in the lower division he was on fire. His form he is in right now in the SPL warrants a closer look at in my view - I don't know much concerning his style to be sure his style suits us though. With a large squad it's a chance to have a look especially with no friendlies in 2019.

Eck compared him to Fletcher, saying he has the best hold up play out of the forwards in this squad

5 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

I can accept players performing well in the Championship - but I want them to be playing well at the top end of the table. 

So annoying when you look at the players that are playing at a higher level, fit but unavailable - McGregor, Bardsley, Brown, Cairney, McArthur, Ritchie, Snodgrass.  Add in Griffiths and we've almost got a team that is better than what we will end up putting out in Kazakhstan. 

And only two players who are vying to win top trophies (Robertson and McTominay).

Things are not looking good. And you have to remember that the Championship players we are picking aren't kids, they're mostly in their late 20s/early 30s. If these players aren't good enough to play in a top league by now then they never will be.

I'm not confident.

4 minutes ago, N4Footsoldier said:

Unfortunately we're missing some players we could have made use off and as usual a couple of surprise inclusions.

Being positive though there should be enough quality in that squad to do what we need to do in these games

Who are the players you feel Eck could have made use of?

I'm feeling very positive. 

5 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Stuart Findlay would be very unlucky to miss out, outstanding again last night.

Fucking bonkers. Couldn't get near a squad when he was on fire with us, playing like carthorse at Aberdeen and called up!

yep feel hes been very unlucky

2 hours ago, wanderer said:

According to reports we are losing Patterson and Fraser for the Kazakhstan match due to the plastic pitch, so I do not think he will be the only right sided player in the team.

why cant they play on it? train on it all week id guess

54 minutes ago, GHfaeGTA said:

Matt Phillips injured? Snodgrass finished with Scotland?

phillips is shite

25 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

Bardsley just isnt going to happen by the looks of it, Brown is well past it, Cairney is a mystery, Ritchie has never really done it for scotland so not fussed, Snoddy injured? if not he should probably be in the squad. Griff, who knows. 

With regards to the players who haven't been chosen/retired, I don't think it would've made much difference if they had been picked and were raring to go.

Our players are much of a muchness, apart from three or four players, the rest of the pool we have to choose from is very average.

Nine central midfielders for 3 positions..  what on earth..

Alex talking about how Palmer's a utility guy, midfielder/defender.. when he's been a right back for about 7 years now.

McNulty is a bizarre one.. a good forward.. in League Two.. if you've got a penalty to be taken.
Failed in the championship, but scored a few for Hibs. How is that a call up? Utterly confused.

Archer's a bit of an odd inclusion too.. Marshall's done then. Not much encouragement for Kelly and Clark.

Absentees that I expected to be in.. Snod, Phillips and Rhodes.
Snod's a miss, I think. Guess it leaves Armstrong playing in Christie's role.

4 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Apparently its their clubs that will not let them play on it, its not the players refusing to play on it.

If thats the case then its just fucking silly

1 minute ago, GHfaeGTA said:

Surely with Fraser not able to play and also Snodgrass  for whatever reason, Matt Ritchie should be in squad or has he jacked it in too?

He is only just back from injury. Imagine Eck does not want to drag him a 1/4 of the way around the world to play on a plastic pitch, then play against one of the worst ranked teams in World football, when he can get his fitness up for later games (I would suspect though that he is on stand by just on the off chance we do need him)

7 minutes ago, andyD said:

Nine central midfielders for 3 positions..  what on earth..

Alex talking about how Palmer's a utility guy, midfielder/defender.. when he's been a right back for about 7 years now.

McNulty is a bizarre one.. a good forward.. in League Two.. if you've got a penalty to be taken.
Failed in the championship, but scored a few for Hibs. How is that a call up? Utterly confused.

Archer's a bit of an odd inclusion too.. Marshall's done then. Not much encouragement for Kelly and Clark.

Absentees that I expected to be in.. Snod, Phillips and Rhodes.
Snod's a miss, I think. Guess it leaves Armstrong playing in Christie's role.

Palmer started off as a midfielder, as he actually was not half bad for the U21's, problem was at that age he was built like a knitting needle, but seems to have bulked out since then and settled into a right back position (I honestly think he is there simply for the reasons Eck gave.... his versatility in a number of position could be useful, but he will not be in the starting live up in either matches) 

McNulty is just through lack of options (Fletcher, Griffiths, Nasmith etc.... that is all big misses)

Zander Clark is injured just now? Liam Kelly I would have had no issue with (I still suspect he will be back at Rangers once they are looking for a new keeper, and he is just at Livi on a glorified loan deal)

Edited by wanderer

Just now, wanderer said:

Palmer started off as a midfielder, as he actually was not half bad for the U21's, problem was at that age he was built like a knitting needle, but seems to have bulked out since then and settled into a right back position.

A right back position he's played solidly for 7 years now. There's no questionmark over Palmers position.