March 2019 squads - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

March 2019 squads

PASTA Mick

17 minutes ago, csinclair said:

Apparently it's through their mum and they'd tried to call up John in the past

Pretty recently IIRC but he was in the very next squad (though seem to recall he said that he had never had any contact with the Australians).

While playing at U23 level would not tie him down to Australia, you would have hoped the SFA would have made more of a effort to keep him.

At 20 years old he's willing to whore himself out to Australia to get a cap then can't say I'm overly bothered.

Can't just go about capping players in case they fuck off to anther country. If that's how they value international football and playing for Scotland then fuck them.

3 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

At 20 years old he's willing to whore himself out to Australia to get a cap then can't say I'm overly bothered.

Can't just go about capping players in case they fuck off to anther country. If that's how they value international football and playing for Scotland then fuck them.

This. 

Imagine playing for a country you’ve never lived in, don’t get it at all, guess it’s just a job for some of them. 

1 hour ago, ParisInAKilt said:

This. 

Imagine playing for a country you’ve never lived in, don’t get it at all, guess it’s just a job for some of them. 

If I wasn't good enough to play for my country, I'd probably play for another one if I was eligible and wanted. Not saying this is the case with Harry Souttar, but something to consider. 

McTominay has never lived in Scotland, but I think we're all pretty fuckin chuffed he chose us. 

2 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

This. 

Totally agree unless he's always felt Australian. It's the same re Martin Boyle. I'd feel like a total fraud myself. Which brother is best out of interest?

Well I've never lived in Scotland but there's only one country I'd consider playing for so I can't judge Souttar.

I don't believe John seriously considered Australia, i think it was Levein having a wind-up. Hardly seen Harry but solely based on the fact that I think john is a fantastic Centre back that I'd be starting alongside McKenna it is a real disappointment to lose his brother.

Harry just been nominated for League One player of month and all Fleetwood fans seem to really rate him. A 6ft 7 CF who can play football is potentially a big loss. This suggests that Scotland has shown no recent interest despite him previously playing for U 17a and U 19s. 

8 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Instead of working hard to improve his game and eventually getting into the Scotland team, he'd rather take the easy option of a cap for Australia. But... has nobody noticed that this might be a good sign? Is it harder, now, to get a cap for Scotland than for Australia? Most certainly, that was not the case 10 or 15 years ago. Surely this suggests that the standard of Scottish football is improving?

2 hours ago, Arbroath1320 said:

Instead of working hard to improve his game and eventually getting into the Scotland team, he'd rather take the easy option of a cap for Australia. But... has nobody noticed that this might be a good sign? Is it harder, now, to get a cap for Scotland than for Australia? Most certainly, that was not the case 10 or 15 years ago. Surely this suggests that the standard of Scottish football is improving?

Replace "Australia" with Italy or Germany and then I'll get encouraged.

He should definitely be in the Under 21s, why he isn't is a mystery.

4 hours ago, GHfaeGTA said:

Harry just been nominated for League One player of month and all Fleetwood fans seem to really rate him. A 6ft 7 CF who can play football is potentially a big loss. This suggests that Scotland has shown no recent interest despite him previously playing for U 17a and U 19s. 

Looked pretty ropey at Ross County last season and I’d think that’s a better yardstick than league 1. 

58 minutes ago, Chripper said:

Replace "Australia" with Italy or Germany and then I'll get encouraged.

He should definitely be in the Under 21s, why he isn't is a mystery.

I love that your bar is world champions hahaha. 

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 2:42 PM, PASTA Mick said:

I wonder whether the likes of Hamilton and Harry Souttar haven't been included because their club sides will have games. 

I know there are other players from clubs that will have games (QotS for example) but it might be viewed better for the players to keep playing at a fairly decent level.  

Has this actually been confirmed?

If not then it's a bloody stupid thing to do as Ethan Hamilton is better than all of the central midfielders in the under 21 squad, and some in the main squad.

If Hamilton has an Irish granny then we might be losing another star in the making.

I love how we are so much smarter than other nations in that we don’t cap promising 16-20 year olds with limited club experience but clear potential.

Meanwhile these nations not only retain their young players and develop them but qualify for tournaments.

its not saying the key to success is to pick players from big clubs who haven’t played many games but if we aren’t even calling up Harry Souttar and Ethan Hamilton to our under 21s then what on earth are those selecting those squads thinking.  

1 hour ago, ProudScot said:

I love how we are so much smarter than other nations in that we don’t cap promising 16-20 year olds with limited club experience but clear potential.

Meanwhile these nations not only retain their young players and develop them but qualify for tournaments.

its not saying the key to success is to pick players from big clubs who haven’t played many games but if we aren’t even calling up Harry Souttar and Ethan Hamilton to our under 21s then what on earth are those selecting those squads thinking.  

Ethan Hamilton was involved in some kind of disagreement with the SFA a few years back. I hope there’s not a permanent rift there. 

2 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

Ethan Hamilton was involved in some kind of disagreement with the SFA a few years back. I hope there’s not a permanent rift there. 

There can't be many nations as good as we are at making things difficult for ourselves.

Yeah it had to do with him wanting to carry on playing for Hutchison Vale, the Edinburgh club Darren Fletcher played for, which was frowned upon at the time by the SFA whos opinion it was he should move on to a professional clubs youth system, whereas he wanted to stay and enjoy his football whilst studying for his exams. Low and behold United then come in after his exams are done and he now seems to be excelling