Rodgers away - Page 5 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Rodgers away

12 hours ago, Scotland Ever More said:

Done that in 2005, as a favour to a boy over from Ireland, when Beattie scored an injury time winner. Had to invade the park or get my cunt kicked in.

Held by the police until all the CSC busses had fucked off and had to get a train home from Haymarket surrounded by diet Huns who recognised me. Never ever again.

Did it in the Centenary season. A win at Hearts would clinch the league. Couldn't get Celtic end tickets so got Hearts tickets instead. Lots of Celtic fans in the Hearts end which saw a lot of fighting even before kick off. Me and my mate stayed quiet. Hearts went 2-0 up then Mark McGhee scored midway through second half. Left at that point to go around Celtic end as was a horrible atmosphere. Thankfully stayed 2-1 and 70,000 saw us beat Dundee 3-0 the next again weekend in the safety of Parkhead. Would never do it again.

Had done the same couple of weeks previous at Easter Road. Centre stand. Everyone quite quiet with it being the Hibs end. Peter Grant scored and practically the whole centre stand went up bar about 2 Hibees sitting near us. The look on their faces!

11 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

Moussa Dembele seems to be alluding to something on twitter, a few “told you so” type tweets.

Not sure exactly what the story is? Was Rodgers already flashing his knickers at an EPL club in the summer whilst trying to persuade him to stay?

Rodgers tried to sell him to Brighton early doors. Moussa told him to GTF. He then tried to punt him again before he eventually left for Lyon, and told everybody that Moussa had asked to leave. Moussa took to twitter not long after the move was sealed to basically call him a snake and he shouldn't be trusted. Turns out the fella was right!

33 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Okay.

I am reading some daft newspaper comments though like from Chris Sutton claiming that he has left Celtic in a 'dangerous position'. Please? Dangerous? They have a healthy lead at the top of the SPL and still in all domestic competitions with one trophy already in the cabinet this season. People need to get some perspective here.

Now don't get me wrong BR has been acting like an A-hole in pressers with Leicester but I thnk he'll soon realise the grass is not always greener in the EPL.

Apparently he's taken 10 backroom staff including sports scientists and data analysis people.

Wanted to take John Kennedy but he's supposed to have told him to fuck off.

Not a "dangerous" position as such, but hardly fucking ideal either. New manager has a huge rebuilding job in the summer.

1 hour ago, Jim Beem said:

Rodgers has always struck me as a self indulgent slightly delusional twat. Not surprised at all at his behaviour, totally in keeping with his character. If I was a Tim I’d be raging  at how he has behaved and would wish him nothing but the worst. I’d also be worried about him coming back to try and nick a few players, Tierney, McGregor etc. If he does, I would hope they have the sense to tell him to get fucked.  Some of his comments already to Leicester fans sums him up. Total cunt of a man

Agree with that, there is something about him that seems phony and the manner of his departure does say a lot. All the rhetoric ended like a needle getting yanked off a record as he sprinted for the exit... 

23 minutes ago, Scotland Ever More said:

Apparently he's taken 10 backroom staff including sports scientists and data analysis people.

Wanted to take John Kennedy but he's supposed to have told him to fuck off.

Not a "dangerous" position as such, but hardly fucking ideal either. New manager has a huge rebuilding job in the summer.

But how many managers have been hounded out of clubs with backroom staff jettisoned with them with the blessing and wishes or pressurising of the fans for this to happen? Swings and roundabouts.

2 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

All clubs and their fans have been responsible of doing it at some point or another.

True but since Rodgers started at Celtic (May 2016), Leicester are on manager number 4 - not including caretakers.

Since Martin O'Neil left Leicester for Celtic, they have had 16 managers, Celtic have had 6.  

4 hours ago, Scotland Ever More said:

I'm talking about 8 in a row. I didn't really expect him to be here for a potential 10.

It's hardly unreasonable to expect him to see the season through at such a late stage, especially if reports are true that Leicester were willing to wait. It almost never happens, which is what the issue is for most. Not simply because he left.

Would you have been as surprised if it was Steve Clarke that had left Kilmarnock to join Leicester?

3 minutes ago, Scotland Ever More said:

If they were 8 clear in the league and in the QF of the cup then yes, of course.

What about based on current state of affairs? 

I think you vastly underestimate how little the world cares about Celtic or the Scottish premiership. 1st or 4th - no difference. 8 in a row, 10 in a row - doesn't matter. Celtic and Rangers fans put a lot of value on it (mostly because they hate each other) but nobody else (let alone Brendan Rodgers) thinks it matters. 

15 minutes ago, Morrisandmoo said:

What about based on current state of affairs? 

I think you vastly underestimate how little the world cares about Celtic or the Scottish premiership. 1st or 4th - no difference. 8 in a row, 10 in a row - doesn't matter. Celtic and Rangers fans put a lot of value on it (mostly because they hate each other) but nobody else (let alone Brendan Rodgers) thinks it matters. 

I wouldn't have been surprised if Rodgers had left Celtic either, if Celtic were in the position that Killie were in, out the cup and miles behind the league leaders.

32 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

True but since Rodgers started at Celtic (May 2016), Leicester are on manager number 4 - not including caretakers.

Since Martin O'Neil left Leicester for Celtic, they have had 16 managers, Celtic have had 6.  

It still does not alter my original point. Fans can and have harangued and harassed bosses out of a job so when one walks that they want to stay it has to be taken on the chin. It is a bit like enjoying winding someone up but when they wind you up you not being able to take it. 

4 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Don’t think any old firm fan I know thinks the rest of the world cares about Scottish football. Why would they?

I think some people outside Scotland would watch a Glasgow derby, but in the same way i would watch Boca v River Plate, Galatasary v Fenerbahce game etc. If they were at home and nothing else was on TV. Can't see many neutrals making a point of staying in to watch it or even knowing where the teams were in the league

That's not exclusive to Scotland

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

It still does not alter my original point. Fans can and have harangued and harassed bosses out of a job so when one walks that they want to stay it has to be taken on the chin. It is a bit like enjoying winding someone up but when they wind you up you not being able to take it. 

I'd argue that Celtic have quite a good record with managers.  It is not often we sack a manager.  

I fully expect Rodgers to be sacked before the date in which his contact at Celtic would have ended.  

11 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

I'd argue that Celtic have quite a good record with managers.  It is not often we sack a manager.  

I fully expect Rodgers to be sacked before the date in which his contact at Celtic would have ended.  

Yes but it has happened. Not often but it has.

I cannot see BR hacking it at Leicester. He will no doubt see out this season but the danger time will come a couple of months into next season if they get off to a shaky start. The fans will round on him and he'll be out in my opinion.

As I said earlier there are many instances where managers have done very well at clubs then get lured away and they flop. Paul Lambert at Norwich springs to mind and David Moyes at Everton. I know there has been more such instances and often their careers do not get back on track as a result.

3 hours ago, Scotland Ever More said:

I wouldn't have been surprised if Rodgers had left Celtic either, if Celtic were in the position that Killie were in, out the cup and miles behind the league leaders.

That's what I mean. You're not surprised when a manager leaves Killie but you are surprised when a manager leaves Celtic. 

The reason you are surprised is you thought that being top of the Scottish Premiership and winning a treble treble mattered to Brendan Rodgers. But you were wrong. And we know that now. 

8 minutes ago, Morrisandmoo said:

That's what I mean. You're not surprised when a manager leaves Killie but you are surprised when a manager leaves Celtic. 

The reason you are surprised is you thought that being top of the Scottish Premiership and winning a treble treble mattered to Brendan Rodgers. But you were wrong. And we know that now. 

Mate I'm full of gear and showing my support for militant republicanism through song right now. I don't have time for this nonsense. We'll agree to disagree

Go back to Kilmarnock and tell them you won a debate with some arsehole on the internet. You'll be elevated to Marvin and Bullet hero status.