Rodgers away - Page 4 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Rodgers away

1 minute ago, sbcmfc said:

I kind of agree with that, but say you lose on Saturday or in the semi final and drop 4-5 points before the split while everyone knows he’s off to Leicester in the summer... As soon as he agreed to speak to Leicester his position was untenable.

So while I understand where you’re coming from, he had to either commit beyond the summer, or go now.

It didn't have to be announced publicly

1 hour ago, Scotland Ever More said:

Under Rodgers was my mistake enjoyable time watching Celtic, and him leaving isn't the problem for me. The problem is the timing and walking out with two trophies up for grabs. 

I'm genuinely shocked at that part of it. Unlike others I don't wish him well. He's a rat bastard in my eyes now and I hope he has nothing but failure for the rest of his career. 

He's not Celtic man. That's for sure.

I never believed for one second he'd be here for a crack at 10 and as I mentioned earlier im not one to get hung up on managers/players leaving if they believe they are bettering themselves. However, as you rightly pointed out leaving us now, with three huge games in the next 10 days is really, really poor, he's left us in the shit and facilatated the return of that ginger prick.

I reckon he'll do well at Leicester FWIW, they've got an excellent squad and I think he can get them into a fight for Europe and a few cups.

Edited by Mox

8 minutes ago, Scotland Ever More said:

It didn't have to be announced publicly

Aye, that’s what I mean though.

If he does it on the quiet, could/would the speculation actually be more damaging to Celtic’s title bid?

Lets be honest, Ally McCoist could get them over the line with the players they have.

Is this similar to Souness when he left, did he not leave around the same time of the year?

I know he left the Scottish Champions to go to the English ones/ or close to being./or just had been , and he had an enormous connection........  

anyone remember the time? League position etc 

im sure Rangers went on to win the title  

Like i said in OP, i cant believe he left to go to a diddy club like Leicester.....Seriously ,,  never in Europe, will never win anything....

Have the champions of Scotland ( whoever they are)  Fallen that far down the pecking order....

18 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Aye, that’s what I mean though.

If he does it on the quiet, could/would the speculation actually be more damaging to Celtic’s title bid?

Lets be honest, Ally McCoist could get them over the line with the players they have.

Should be able to, yes. My concern is how the players react to losing BR, especially how quickly it all happened. The story is that he told them today and they thought he was on the wind up.

Tomorrow night is huge, it's about more  than just the 3 points now. A good performance and win could set the tone for the rest of the season, as could a disappointing defeat.

1 minute ago, stocky said:

Is this similar to Souness when he left, did he not leave around the same time of the year?

im sure Rangers went on to win the title  Have the champions of Scotland ( whoever they are)  Fallen that far down the pecking order....

In a word, yes. 

The two leagues simply aren't comparable any more (if they ever actually were) with all the money involved now.

9 minutes ago, stocky said:

I know he left the Scottish Champions to go to the English ones/ or close to being./or just had been , and he had an enormous connection........  

anyone remember the time? League position etc 

im sure Rangers went on to win the title 

Souness left with 4 games to go.  IIRC he wanted to wait til the summer but Murray told him to hop it.

Rangers pipped Aberdeen to the title on the last day.

Moussa Dembele seems to be alluding to something on twitter, a few “told you so” type tweets.

Not sure exactly what the story is? Was Rodgers already flashing his knickers at an EPL club in the summer whilst trying to persuade him to stay?

5 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Moussa Dembele seems to be alluding to something on twitter, a few “told you so” type tweets.

Not sure exactly what the story is? Was Rodgers already flashing his knickers at an EPL club in the summer whilst trying to persuade him to stay?

I think Dembele had previously said BR wasn't a man of his word and subsequently took a bit of stick from Celtic fans. 

5 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

I'm a little surprised that he's passed up the chance to go down in history as the Celtic manager who delivered ten in a row. I can't see Leicester getting back to the heights of a few years ago, everyone else around them has improved and I can't see them getting anywhere near achieving what they did under Ranieri.

This. Seems to me a true Celtic fan would not leave the club they supposedly love in this way. For 'betterment' at a bigger club? I don't think so. For money? Surely not. Once you've got that amount of money of a top manager, you can only buy so many houses and so many cars. The kind of legend status, that he could have had, can't be bought. Bad move, his loss.   

7 hours ago, Morrisandmoo said:

Oooft.

Brendan leaving for a bigger club and Celtic fans coming to the realisation that Celtic is just another diddy club from Scotland and nobody really cares about treble trebles or 10IAR. Especially not Brendan Rodgers, despite what Celtic fans previously thought. 

I always thought you were a Celtic fan😳

I wonder if Lennon has told Peter Lawell that he’ll need leave mid-training camp should he get the gig full time

The Hibs club is hosting a soul & 60s night in July. We all know how Lenny loves dumping his responsibilities onto Garry Parker so he can swan off to supporters functions from his previous clubs 

I am surprised that fans are surprised to be honest. If you are looking for loyalty in football you are looking in the wrong place. Managers and players come and go almost entirely with a total disregard to contracts and Celtic are no different in this respect. 

I cannot see BR getting spectacular results at Leicester to be honest. At best push for a Europa League slot and a decent run in Cup competitions.

At the end of the day life goes on and Scottish football goes on. Managers will always come and go its just that some are sacked but some go of their own volition to seek new challenges when they feel they have taken a club as far as they can. 

8 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I am surprised that fans are surprised to be honest. If you are looking for loyalty in football you are looking in the wrong place. Managers and players come and go almost entirely with a total disregard to contracts and Celtic are no different in this respect. 

I cannot see BR getting spectacular results at Leicester to be honest. At best push for a Europa League slot and a decent run in Cup competitions.

At the end of the day life goes on and Scottish football goes on. Managers will always come and go its just that some are sacked but some go of their own volition to seek new challenges when they feel they have taken a club as far as they can. 

Most people aren't surprised he left for England. Just that he went at this stage of the season.

I'm realistic and know there's not a player or manager who'd choose to stay here over the EPL, but I also think it's reasonable to expect them to see out the season at this stage with so much to play for.

His success here will be forever tainted because of that, all he had to do was wait a matter of weeks and his legend status was secured. Too bad I suppose.

Rodgers has always struck me as a self indulgent slightly delusional twat. Not surprised at all at his behaviour, totally in keeping with his character. If I was a Tim I’d be raging  at how he has behaved and would wish him nothing but the worst. I’d also be worried about him coming back to try and nick a few players, Tierney, McGregor etc. If he does, I would hope they have the sense to tell him to get fucked.  Some of his comments already to Leicester fans sums him up. Total cunt of a man

Edited by Jim Beem

17 minutes ago, Scotland Ever More said:

Most people aren't surprised he left for England. Just that he went at this stage of the season.

I'm realistic and know there's not a player or manager who'd choose to stay here over the EPL, but I also think it's reasonable to expect them to see out the season at this stage with so much to play for.

His success here will be forever tainted because of that, all he had to do was wait a matter of weeks and his legend status was secured. Too bad I suppose.

But you see that is a fans eye view. The 10 in a row thing meant Jack to him. For him it would be just another SPL title which he has won a clutch of already. He was never a Celtic fan just a manager brought in to manage the club. Fans are the only constant at football clubs. 

Edited by Caledonian Craig

4 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

But you see that is a fans eye view. The 10 in a row thing meant Jack to him. For him it would be just another SPL title which he has won a clutch of already. He was never a Celtic fan just a manager brought in to manage the club. Fans are the only constant at football clubs. 

I'm talking about 8 in a row. I didn't really expect him to be here for a potential 10.

It's hardly unreasonable to expect him to see the season through at such a late stage, especially if reports are true that Leicester were willing to wait. It almost never happens, which is what the issue is for most. Not simply because he left.

Even eight in a row mean Jack to him. Like I said he was never a Celtic fan but a manager brought in to manage the club. 

Loyalty is not really viable in football. The only loyalty you get is fans to clubs. Fans are not even loyal to managers. If Rogers had gone on a losing streak at Celtic they would have rounded on him and began calling for his head. How many times have fans of any football club actively chanted for a manager to get the sack? Loads. Managers are only the flavour of the month for so long so BR jumping before that stage arrives is no big surprise. The surprise is that it is Leicester he is leaving for but perhaps he feels that if Ranieri could win them a title so can he. 

1 minute ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Of course, my post isn’t arguing against that. 

Okay.

I am reading some daft newspaper comments though like from Chris Sutton claiming that he has left Celtic in a 'dangerous position'. Please? Dangerous? They have a healthy lead at the top of the SPL and still in all domestic competitions with one trophy already in the cabinet this season. People need to get some perspective here.

Now don't get me wrong BR has been acting like an A-hole in pressers with Leicester but I thnk he'll soon realise the grass is not always greener in the EPL.