Starting 11 for Kazakhstan match - Page 24 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Starting 11 for Kazakhstan match

mrniaboc

4 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Jesus Christ. Our team tomorrow is going to be mince.

As opposed to the world beaters from Kazakhstan? 

Seriously, get a grip. The midfield should be able to win the game on its own. 

2 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

As opposed to the world beaters from Kazakhstan? 

Seriously, get a grip. The midfield should be able to win the game on its own. 

Famous last words.

Said by plenty of others in the past before - 2-2 draws twice vs. the Faroes, 2-2 vs. Saudi Arabia, 0-0 vs.Luxembourg, 1-1 vs. New Zealand, 1-0 defeat vs.Lithuania and two later draws, the undeserved 2-1 last second win over Liechtenstein and recently 1-1 vs. Canada, 

Scotland do not do things the easy, simple way.

35 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Chripper will get his wish and we will go 3 at the back now as there’s no good full backs in the squad at all. 

Bates, Souttar & Findlay (If McKenna not fit) as a three. 

Fingers crossed.

I know your heart isn't in it but It's nice for someone who isn't me to lay out three center backs in a lineup.

Edited by Chripper

32 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

I agree about Shinnie. The midfield should be strong enough to protect the defence though, so I'm not too worried about the strength of the defence. 

It should be fine. 

I hope you're right.

Midfield onwards looks okay but many of Kazakhstan's team play for Astana, who put 4 past Celtic last season. 

In the last campaign Poland and Romania (who are probably a similar level to us) went to Kazakhstan and only drew.  If we are serious about qualifying I think we need to take a six points from these upcoming two games but I don't expect Kazakhstan to be mugs.

Having said that, I wasn't expecting too much from the away away tie in Albania and we ended up winning that game comfortably, so hopefully I'm wrong again!  :lol:

On 3/18/2019 at 11:17 PM, BucksburnDandy said:

Ok time to revise my original team. If McLeish has decided to cut some sort of deal with McInnes about Scott McKenna, it should be that he plays on Thursday and can sit out Sunday in San Marino when Robertson should be back and he can choose to move Tierney inside or give Findlay a debut.

For Thursday: Bain; Palmer, Bates, McKenna, Tierney; McTominay, McGinn; Forrest, Armstrong, McGregor; Burke.

Yet another revision needed with KT out. Bain; Palmer, Bates, McKenna, Shinnie; McTominay, McGinn; Forrest, Armstrong, McGregor; Burke.

13 minutes ago, BucksburnDandy said:

Yet another revision needed with KT out. Bain; Palmer, Bates, McKenna, Shinnie; McTominay, McGinn; Forrest, Armstrong, McGregor; Burke.

100% agree 

Can only be this starting XI unless of course Faddie fancies a run oot.......

2 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Famous last words.

Said by plenty of others in the past before - 2-2 draws twice vs. the Faroes, 2-2 vs. Saudi Arabia, 0-0 vs.Luxembourg, 1-1 vs. New Zealand, 1-0 defeat vs.Lithuania and two later draws, the undeserved 2-1 last second win over Liechtenstein and recently 1-1 vs. Canada, 

Scotland do not do things the easy, simple way.

It's easy to skew an opinion if you select the stats that back up your point. 

What about the recent away win in Albania?

Or the away win v France? 

You get my point. The Kazhaks are not Brazil and we should be beating teams like this. 

2 hours ago, scotlad said:

I hope you're right.

Midfield onwards looks okay but many of Kazakhstan's team play for Astana, who put 4 past Celtic last season. 

In the last campaign Poland and Romania (who are probably a similar level to us) went to Kazakhstan and only drew.  If we are serious about qualifying I think we need to take a six points from these upcoming two games but I don't expect Kazakhstan to be mugs.

Having said that, I wasn't expecting too much from the away away tie in Albania and we ended up winning that game comfortably, so hopefully I'm wrong again!  :lol:

Poland are a team on the decline. We should have beaten them both times we played them recently. 

Don't know anything about Romania but as they've not qualified for anything then they can't be that good. 

18 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

It's easy to skew an opinion if you select the stats that back up your point. 

What about the recent away win in Albania?

Or the away win v France? 

You get my point. The Kazhaks are not Brazil and we should be beating teams like this. 

Ooohhh humpy.

Our national team has a notorious habit of screwing the supposedly easy matches up - sometimes fucking stupid match officials and cheating opponents play a big part in it - but usually it's daft mistakes by our own players or the manager's negligence.

We should never write off any opponent or think we will stroll a game.

Edited by ErsatzThistle

10 hours ago, Morrisandmoo said:

He was shite at left back though. He is a terrible left back and a brilliant centre back - lets not crush the boy. 

Both mcgregor and shinnie have played there with some success.

Is Findlay really a brilliant centre back? Tbf I haven't seen much of him but going by the weekend there Morelos easily had the better of him, and turned him very easily for his goal. Now Morelos is decent but nothing special certainly compared to the level of some international strikers he may well face. Again though I haven't actually seen too much of the lad

2 minutes ago, bazmidd said:

Is Findlay really a brilliant centre back? Tbf I haven't seen much of him but going by the weekend there Morelos easily had the better of him, and turned him very easily for his goal. Now Morelos is decent but nothing special certainly compared to the level of some international strikers he may well face. Again though I haven't actually seen too much of the lad

Morelos is streaks ahead of the Kazakh strikers.

Findlay is decent. 

Bain - GK

_______

Shinnie - LB tempted by MacGregor but feel he's our best midfielder

Bates - CH due to performance in last 2 games

McKenna - CH

O'Donnel - RB

________

McTominay - CM

MacGregor - CM

________

Forrest

McGinn - #10

Armstrong 

________

McBurnie - our Stephane Guivarch (the French one not Rangers one)

It's pleasingly tough. 

Armstrong can play more DM and break forward.  Can also play #10.  Feel we missed him more than Brown in our final 2 WC qualifying games.

Russell did well in Nations League.

Burke I just don't rate.  Had a bizarre career in such a short time.

1 hour ago, ProudScot said:

Morelos is streaks ahead of the Kazakh strikers.

Findlay is decent. 

I wasn't referring to the Kazakhstan strikers more thinking ahead towards perhaps the Belgian or Russian strikers. McKenna has dealt with Morelos far better everytime I have seen him come up against him and I don't think I would even class him as brilliant just yet, whereas I watched Findlay struggle last time out against him. Just trying to gauge what level Findlay is actually at.  

9 hours ago, Tartan Chris said:

Surprised someone like Barry Douglas wasn't called up given the fitness doubts over Tierney and Robbo.

Would've been a decent two games for him to slot in and get his Scotland career underway.

He’s no fit. Been out a long time and came on on Saturday from memory with like 20 to go. 

9 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Poland are a team on the decline. We should have beaten them both times we played them recently. 

Don't know anything about Romania but as they've not qualified for anything then they can't be that good. 

Romania made the last Euros and Poland were at the World Cup last year (albeit they went out after the group stage).

If we approach the game today properly we can win but at the very least I expect a few scares along the way.

5 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Greg Taylor would have been an obvious choice to take as cover given the doubts over Robertson/Tierney, especially as he's too old for the 21s (it think)

Taylor is unlucky to be a left back really. He’s definitely good enough to be an international but has two of our best players ahead of him 

3 hours ago, Alan said:

Bain - GK

_______

Shinnie - LB tempted by MacGregor but feel he's our best midfielder

Bates - CH due to performance in last 2 games

McKenna - CH

O'Donnel - RB

________

McTominay - CM

MacGregor - CM

________

Forrest

McGinn - #10

Armstrong 

________

McBurnie - our Stephane Guivarch (the French one not Rangers one)

It's pleasingly tough. 

Armstrong can play more DM and break forward.  Can also play #10.  Feel we missed him more than Brown in our final 2 WC qualifying games.

Russell did well in Nations League.

Burke I just don't rate.  Had a bizarre career in such a short time.

That's pretty well it for me too.

Only thing is I would add is Palmer to make it any two from three full backs, he  can play left or right and McLeish has seen him now so he can decide.