Starting 11 for Kazakhstan match - Page 23 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Starting 11 for Kazakhstan match

mrniaboc

12 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Have a look at Tierney's Twitter account. Understand that the lad is a massive Celtic fan, but never a mention or retweet about the national team (and he quite active on there). Even when we won the nation's League, no mention of congratulations to the team, when though plenty of others were doing it. I just get the feeling playing for the national side isn't a big deal to him

It’s a pleasure to be here and I’m grateful for the chance. When you are back playing you just think about your next game and if you get the call-up it’s an added bonus.

“The captaincy is not something I’m expecting. There are a number of experienced players in the squad so it’s up to the manager to decide who is best suited for it.”

That was Tierney yesterday.

Was up at Astana Arena today. Got speaking to Kazakhstan press officer who said they will be without their captain . They will also have their best midfielder unavailable.

Nice to know it's not just us who lose players.

Btw they feel their best hope is a draw.

1 minute ago, marinello said:

Was up at Astana Arena today. Got speaking to Kazakhstan press officer who said they will be without their captain . They will also have their best midfielder unavailable.

That's reassuring! Always good to look at it from the other team's point f view before we panic ourselves too much. What's it like in Astana? 

6 minutes ago, marinello said:

I remember Georgia 2007 when they had players missing and 17 year old in goals.  Can’t take anything for granted.

1 minute ago, sjd1972 said:

I remember Georgia 2007 when they had players missing and 17 year old in goals.  Can’t take anything for granted.

We should have got a penalty in that game though. Maloney was scythed doon in the box IIRC.

Edited by ErsatzThistle

2 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

That's reassuring! Always good to look at it from the other team's point f view before we panic ourselves too much. What's it like in Astana? 

Like a combination of a theme park and the back lot in Hollywood. Dripping money and today about to change its name after the parliament decided to name the place after the president who resigned after 30+ years in office.

People are brand new and clearly intrigued by the TA' s form of dress and daftness.

Very cold as in it would cut the face off you!!

6 minutes ago, sjd1972 said:

No one taking anything for granted but this Kazakhstan team are nothing like as good as Georgia was then or now.

14 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

It’s a pleasure to be here and I’m grateful for the chance. When you are back playing you just think about your next game and if you get the call-up it’s an added bonus.

“The captaincy is not something I’m expecting. There are a number of experienced players in the squad so it’s up to the manager to decide who is best suited for it.”

That was Tierney yesterday.

If course he's going to big up a call up to the journalist interviewing him, he knows it's going into the paper. Previously what I said was obviously just my opinion, but I still stand by it. As I said, he's active on Twitter and it is all Celtic an no Scotland, which I find strange for such an integral member of the squad

7 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

If course he's going to big up a call up to the journalist interviewing him, he knows it's going into the paper. Previously what I said was obviously just my opinion, but I still stand by it. As I said, he's active on Twitter and it is all Celtic an no Scotland, which I find strange for such an integral member of the squad

Have you checked every single player in the senior squad and the under 21's social media ?

7 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Have you checked every single player in the senior squad and the under 21's social media ?

He at least mentions Scotland in his bio on Twitter. As a comparison I searched for all Robbo's tweets involving Scotland https://twitter.com/search?l=&q=scotland from%3Aandrewrobertso5&src=typd. The two at the end from 2012 are pretty funny looking back!

22 hours ago, ProudScot said:

That abscess in the mouth is clearly complete bollocks to save him the mammoth journey and a tough game when they’re after the title. 

Disappinting & our team looks fairly talentless and short of creativity or goals. 

53 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Have a look at Tierney's Twitter account. Understand that the lad is a massive Celtic fan, but never a mention or retweet about the national team (and he quite active on there). Even when we won the nation's League, no mention of congratulations to the team, when though plenty of others were doing it. I just get the feeling playing for the national side isn't a big deal to him

Some of our 'fans' really are complete and utter fannies. 😞

1 hour ago, marinello said:

No one taking anything for granted but this Kazakhstan team are nothing like as good as Georgia was then or now.

I think the best they have done is home draws against Austria and Poland, potential banana skin but should have enough to get the points 

1 hour ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

My Twitter is 99% killie and rarely mention Scotland. Means fuck all. 

As I said, think he travelled 5 time zones for a giggle?

1 minute ago, Squirrelhumper said:

My Twitter is 99% killie and rarely mention Scotland. Means fuck all. 

Fair point on both counts.

It does seem he’s being played regularly while not 100% for Celtic, but they pay his wages. (Given when there season started he’s effectively played a full season already!)

I’d have been happier to see him play tomorrow and be allowed to go back to Celtic rather than travel to San Marino. If he’s not fit for Thursday, why risk him on Sunday when he’s needed less?

If; as is being suggested, Mcleish is making concessions, surely they’d be for San Marino? We need the strongest available line up tomorrow. We should be able to put together 3 teams that can beat San Marino.

16 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Spot on. Call him a sick note if he pulls out before meeting up but if he's travelled all that way it must be decision by the SFA. 

As noted before we have Shinnie, McGregor and Palmer who have all played left back before. It's not ideal but we should still have it in us to win this.

4 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Findlay has played left back for us when Taylor has been out injured/suspended but not many times.

Certainly has the pace for it but would be a big ask on his debut.

He was shite at left back though. He is a terrible left back and a brilliant centre back - lets not crush the boy. 

Both mcgregor and shinnie have played there with some success.

13 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Has to be Shinnie at left back now - not his best position but he has the most experience playing there.

Our potential defence looks pish weak now though.  :(

I agree about Shinnie. The midfield should be strong enough to protect the defence though, so I'm not too worried about the strength of the defence. 

It should be fine.