Starting 11 for Kazakhstan match - Page 21 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Starting 11 for Kazakhstan match

mrniaboc

Interested in why anyone would pick Burke up front. From what I've seen at Celtic he's definitely not a centre forward yet. 

He is quick but that's about it really. 

I've not seen McBurnie recently so have no idea if he's any good either, but I'd expect very little from Burke if we played him. 

17 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Interested in why anyone would pick Burke up front. From what I've seen at Celtic he's definitely not a centre forward yet. 

I've not seen McBurnie recently so have no idea if he's any good either, but I'd expect very little from Burke if we played him. 

Personally I'd give him a bit of a roaming role, but you're right, he isn't a center forward yet.

1 hour ago, RenfrewBlue said:

I don’t think Burke is given enough credit. If there was no backstory I think people would be raving about his Celtic performances and the potential they suggest. To dismiss him as “quick” undervalues “quick”. He’s also very heavily  built. This means he can (and does) swat defenders aside en route to goal. He has some improving to do, but I’m delighted he’s on our side. I do think he could make it as a striker, he finishes well and with a Gauld or Gilmour-type spotting his runs, we could be in business. 

Don't think Souttar has progressed as much as we had hoped he would so, for me he s the last resort for central defence.

McGinn has to play but I would prefer to have Mctominay  or McGregor behind him in a similar formation to the one used in Albania.

In fact it is becoming almost impossible to pick a starting eleven out of what is left that suits our recent formations.

Probably end up with three at the back.

6 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Don't think Souttar has progressed as much as we had hoped he would so, for me he s the last resort for central defence.

McGinn has to play but I would prefer to have Mctominay  or McGregor behind him in a similar formation to the one used in Albania.

In fact it is becoming almost impossible to pick a starting eleven out of what is left that suits our recent formations.

Probably end up with three at the back.

Don’t see any reason to change the Bates and McKenna partnership from the last 2 matches, try to keep it as settled as possible when we’re already missing players. They did fine.

1 minute ago, ProudScot said:

That abscess in the mouth is clearly complete bollocks to save him the mammoth journey and a tough game when they’re after the title. 

Disappinting & our team looks fairly talentless and short of creativity or goals. 

Utter utter garbage, he did everything he could to make the flight. Unbelievable commitment when you read the story, he wasn’t allowed to fly with it so needed the surgery and can’t sort another flight at such short notice.

Barring the tour he missed because he was playing in the champions league final Robertson has never been unavailable for a squad since his debut 6 years ago which is incredible really.

5 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

I don’t think Burke is given enough credit. If there was no backstory I think people would be raving about his Celtic performances and the potential they suggest. To dismiss him as “quick” undervalues “quick”. He’s also very heavily  built. This means he can (and does) swat defenders aside en route to goal. He has some improving to do, but I’m delighted he’s on our side. I do think he could make it as a striker, he finishes well and with a Gauld or Gilmour-type spotting his runs, we could be in business. 

From what I've seen of Burke he makes the wrong runs. He just doesn't know how to play the main striker position yet. 

He has time to learn and may get better but he's not the finished article yet. 

3 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Talksport arguing that Liverpool title challenge is more important than our double header and that Robertson shouldn’t play in either... oh, and we should pack up if we can’t win both games.

Total back-handed compliment.

A bigger insult would be if they couldn't be bothered slaughtering us.

Bain

Palmer

Bates

McKenna

Tierney

McGinn

McTominay

McGregor

Forrest

McBurnie

Russell

Subs at 60mins: Armstrong and Burke

The LB and CB’s pick themselves. O’Donnell’s season hasn’t been as good as last unlike Palmer who’s inform. 

McGinn is in brilliant form, provides drive and goals — has to start. Have been very impressed by McTominay in the games he’s started, ball retention and ability to almost always pick the best option and in games played at the very highest level. Our only real choice as a defensive midfielder. McGregor has also been at his best this season, can be creative and take the ball out from defense. I like Armstrong as an impact sub, he’s actually done this really well for his club this season. He brings pace urgency we might need if McGregor or McTominay have off-games.

For me centre forward is an easy pick. McBurnie has 18 goals this season and can do the holding up role Fletcher has done recently.

Forrest also an easy pick, our best player in the nations league and having his best season for Celtic. 

Left winger is more difficult. Russell can do a job there although his best position is on the right. I don’t think anyone in the squad for this game can play here naturally apart from Morgan.

Edited by Super_Scotlandfan

12 hours ago, ProudScot said:

That abscess in the mouth is clearly complete bollocks to save him the mammoth journey and a tough game when they’re after the title. 

Disappinting & our team looks fairly talentless and short of creativity or goals. 

What absolute horse shite. The lad even offered to pay his own way to make it to the game. As I said previously had this first game been at home he'd be playing. 

Guest ElChris04
20 hours ago, Chripper said:

It doesn't work? Show me your evidence.

I can give you 18 years of evidence that 4 at the back doesn't work.

It definitely never worked for us.. or did you forget about the horrendous showings against Isreal, Belgium?, then barely scraping through with wins against Hungary and Albania that where dreadful to watch with them nearly scoring on every attack. And on top of that even Robbo moaning about being played out of position. Our best formation is the 4-2-3-1. Just look at the history with it. Our last 2 nations league matches McLeish switched back to it and it worked out perfectly. A thrashing against Albania then a dramatic 3-2 win against Israel both with fantastic football played. It fits our best players perfectly. And why anyone would consider wasting Forrest as a RWB or even worse play SOD over him to accommodate the 3-5-2 is just mental. 

Edited by ElChris04

1 minute ago, ElChris04 said:

It definitely never worked for us.. or did you forget about the horrendous showings against Costa Rica, Isreal, Belgium?, then barely scraping through with wins against Hungary and Albania that where dreadful to watch with them nearly scoring on every attack. And on top of that even Robbo moaning about being played out of position. Our best formation is the 4-2-3-1. Just look at the history with it. Our last 2 nations league matches McLeish switched back to it and it worked out perfectly. A thrashing against Albania then a dramatic 3-2 win against Israel both with fantastic football played. It fits our best players perfectly. And why anyone would consider wasting Forrest as a RWB or even worse play SOD over him to accommodate the 3-5-2 is just mental. 

3-5-2 definitely never worked for us? Oh really? Then what was Euro 96 and France 98? Illusions? 

You're mentioning 5 matches (one of them against one of the best teams in the world)? I could quote 19 years of mediocrity , and will, if you insist on it.

Strange how you don't mention the 2-2 match with England.

The clear majority of Scotland fans want a quick fix, "Oh, 3 at the back doesn't give us instant results, so let's go back to the style that we've failed at for the last 19 years". If we want to change our style of play then I'm afraid it'll take a lot longer than 5 matches. How many matches have we played with a 4? We've been doing it since the Vogts era. What's our win percentage? I'm guessing it ain't very high.

We played Israel at home with 4 at the back and beat them, we played them away with a 3 and lost. But reverse it and the results would've been similar. Israel were going to beat us away no matter what, and there's no way that they were ever going to beat us at home.

I'm talking about long term. We have played with a 4 and perpetually failed, for 19 long years, and yet staggeringly people seem to think that it's our "best formation". We've given 3 at the back 5 matches and it's binned. Good mentality.

Again, where's evidence that 4 at the back is our best formation? We qualified for 96 and 98 (and were a whisker away from 2000 qualification) using a 3.

I'm real excited for the game tomorrow, whoever starts I'm going to be behind them. I am reading plenty articles and watched the press conferences and I have to say I'm hearing allot more about the pitch that I expected, the players need to be a bit more positive. We have a playoff spot, we have nothing to lose, be more assertive and play for the win a bit more please. We absolutely must be at the EUROs next year, we can't host games and not be there, that would be indefensible. 

18 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Well you've embarrassed yourself.