Starting 11 for Kazakhstan match - Page 18 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Starting 11 for Kazakhstan match

mrniaboc

4 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

That’s right, we’ll be shite until the end of time with no hope of any progress. 

Listen mate, I’m still in there punching. I might not be travelling any more, but I still watch every game in the hope that we’ll win.

I admire your rosy cheeked optimism, but I feel my views reflect the reality. There is literally no evidence to suggest that anything is ever going to change in Scottish Football. We keep appointing the same old useless blazers, it’s still jobs for the boys when it comes to managers and coaches and there is never a plan or strategy to change the status quo.

Do you just work away on the basis of blind optimism, or do you know something I don’t?

49 minutes ago, Marky said:

I wouldnae like to be hangin’ by ma haw maws waiting for that to happen me auld china.

We haven’t produced one single player even verging on the very widest perimeters of world class for at least 25 years.

Robertson is close til world class. Tierney has potential to be.

With the recent call offs,  here is my team for Thursday

Playing a 4-2-3-1 which served us well in the latter half of last year.

GK - Scott Bain

RB - Palmer RCB - David Bates  LCB - Mulgrew (left footed, hoping he passes his fitness test)LB - Tierney

RMF - McTominay LMF - John McGinn

RAF - Forrest                              CAF - McGregor                                     LAF - Russell 

FW - McBurnie

I am trying to play players in their natural positions, I like McKenna but from what I've read he is a doubt, and with so many youngsters I have opted to start Mulgrew for his experience.  If Mulgrew doesn't pass his fitness then I will swap Palmer for SOD as I don't want our backline to be so light on experience and I may have to drop in Stuart Findlay who plays every week with O'Donnell for Mulgrew.  

If McBurnie is not fit then its a coin toss between Burke and McNulty. 

10 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

GK - Scott Bain

RB - Palmer RCB - David Bates  LCB - Mulgrew (left footed, hoping he passes his fitness test)LB - Tierney

RAF - Forrest                              CAF - McGregor                                     LAF - Russell 

FW - McBurnie

I am trying to play players in their natural positions, I like McKenna but from what I've read he is a doubt, and with so many youngsters I have opted to start Mulgrew for his experience.  If Mulgrew doesn't pass his fitness then I will swap Palmer for SOD as I don't want our backline to be so light on experience and I may have to drop in Stuart Findlay who plays every week with O'Donnell for Mulgrew.  

Mulgrew's withdrawn - did you mean McKenna?  But I think your line-up is probably the best with what we've got available to be fair.

Edited by in5omniac

Cack, I missed Mulgrew is out. 

So its a revised back line with

RB - SOD,  RCB - Bates, LCB - Findlay , LB - Tierney

I was concerned with Tierney at RB for Thursday anyway which nullifies our counter attacking play on the right.  I am nervous with Bain likely to start and having a back line not accustomed to each other, but with two Celts, two Kilmarnock players along with Bates it might not be that much of an issue. 

We are definitely weakened for sure and we need a couple of players in at the deep end who can't be wide eyed and finding their way.  McGinn needs to have a big game for us and whoever starts up front needs to have good service.

31 minutes ago, Marky said:

Listen mate, I’m still in there punching. I might not be travelling any more, but I still watch every game in the hope that we’ll win.

I admire your rosy cheeked optimism, but I feel my views reflect the reality. There is literally no evidence to suggest that anything is ever going to change in Scottish Football. We keep appointing the same old useless blazers, it’s still jobs for the boys when it comes to managers and coaches and there is never a plan or strategy to change the status quo.

Do you just work away on the basis of blind optimism, or do you know something I don’t?

I mentioned the performance schools earlier and there is evidence they are working. It won’t be conclusive until the players from that system make the first team and qualify for a tournament. I am optimistic based on watching them that they will do it. I also believe they will be more arsed to turn up than the current squad. 

Let’s see how the u19s get on against Portugal on Wednesday. It’s a big qualifier for the finals and Portugal are the holders. That group have been retaining possession against and beating major nations consistently in the last 2 years and i see that game as a big indicator of what’s ahead.

1 minute ago, romanticscot said:

I'm trying to get that together for you Grim.

And in other news Robbo might still be available on Thursday - https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/andy-robertson-could-still-face-14153610

They're quoting a Daily Mail article that goes on to say that he's been told on medical advice he cannot travel to Astana, despite offering to pay for his own flight to get him there.

He will be travelling himself to San Marino though.

Current Squad

Goalkeepers
Jordan Archer (Millwall)
Scott Bain (Celtic)
Jon McLaughlin (Sunderland)

Liam Kelly(Livingstone)

Defenders

Stuart Findlay( Kilmarnock)

David Bates (Hamburg)
Scott McKenna (Aberdeen)
Charlie Mulgrew (Blackburn Rovers)
Stephen O’Donnell (Kilmarnock)
Liam Palmer (Sheffield Wednesday)
Andy Robertson (Liverpool)??????
John Souttar (Heart of Midlothian)
Kieran Tierney (Celtic)

Midfielders
Stuart Armstrong (Southampton)
Barry Bannan (Sheffield Wednesday)
John Fleck (Sheffield United)
John McGinn (Aston Villa)
Callum McGregor (Celtic)
Kenny McLean (Norwich City)
Scott McTominay (Manchester United)
Callum Paterson (Cardiff City)
Graeme Shinnie (Aberdeen)

Forwards
Oliver Burke (Celtic)*
James Forrest (Celtic)
Ryan Fraser (AFC Bournemouth)
Oliver McBurnie (Swansea City)
Marc McNulty (Hibernian)**
Lewis Morgan (Sunderland)***
Johnny Russell (Sporting Kansas City)

1 minute ago, Lion Rampant said:

They're quoting a Daily Mail article that goes on to say that he's been told on medical advice he cannot travel to Astana, despite offering to pay for his own flight to get him there.

He will be travelling himself to San Marino though.

I can only think that he must have been put to sleep for his op which I think when I had my wisdom teeth they advised no air travel for two days after op, I could be wrong though. 

3 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

I can only think that he must have been put to sleep for his op which I think when I had my wisdom teeth they advised no air travel for two days after op, I could be wrong though. 

Possibly.

What we can say, assuming the story is correct, is that Andy Robertson is not to be dumped in the "canny be arsed playing for Scotland" pile.

48 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Robertson is close til world class. Tierney has potential to be.

Sorry, because I was using Robertson in a few of my posts I kind of took it as read that he was a given. I do agree that he is by a million miles the closest we’ve had in that time. Tierney I’m far less convinced about. Time will tell.

Edited by Marky

21 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

I mentioned the performance schools earlier and there is evidence they are working. It won’t be conclusive until the players from that system make the first team and qualify for a tournament. I am optimistic based on watching them that they will do it. I also believe they will be more arsed to turn up than the current squad. 

Let’s see how the u19s get on against Portugal on Wednesday. It’s a big qualifier for the finals and Portugal are the holders. That group have been retaining possession against and beating major nations consistently in the last 2 years and i see that game as a big indicator of what’s ahead.

Well I truly hope you are right mate. 👍

1 hour ago, romanticscot said:

GK - Scott Bain

FW - McBurnie

No Armstrong? I genuinely think he is our most important midfielder.

You know what, I have made an error that Armstrong was not getting any game time for Southampton, which does not seem to be the case.    I would put Armstrong in the CAF role, and move McGregor back to where he played against Israel and move McTominay to the bench. I am aware McTominay played a blinder against PSG but McGinn's form has been more consistent albeit as a lower level.

My revised lineup for this is

Bain

Palmer.       Bates.     Souttar.     Tierney

McTominay

Armstrong.     McGinn

Forrest.                                   McGregor

Burke

7 minutes ago, bazmidd said:

My revised lineup for this is

Bain

Palmer.       Bates.     Souttar.     Tierney

McTominay

Armstrong.     McGinn

Forrest.                                   McGregor

Burke

I think that is a fairly likely line up. 

Second revision:

Bain

Bates   Souttar   Findlay (McKenna - if fit)

Palmer                                                    Tierney

McTominay

Armstrong (Forrest - If McBurnie is fit)       McGinn

Forrest (McBurnie - If fit)                Burke

Edited by Chripper

I am willing Oli to be fit, and if he starts I am expecting him to get off the mark. His goal tally for Swansea this year is great, his 5 caps can serve as an apprenticeship now lt's time to translate his club form to the bigger stage.  Bates and McKenna together - Currently watching this for a refresher on how Israel got their 2 -

First goal - McGregor should have done better

Second goal - McKenna could have done better.

I remember overall, the two central defenders played well.

Edited by romanticscot