Starting 11 for Kazakhstan match - Page 17 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Starting 11 for Kazakhstan match

mrniaboc

7 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

The good thing is that none of the match-fit Celtic players have pulled out...yet.  :spin:  Might as well start them all - or anyone with links - 

Bain

O'Donnell    Bates    Findlay    Tierney

McTominay

Forrest    McGregor    Armstrong    Morgan

Burke

It would obviously look better with Hendry, Mulgrew, Christie, Maloney and Griffiths in there but that's not a bad XI. 

Rod Stewart on the bench too surely 

Edited by ProudScot

37 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

The good thing is that none of the match-fit Celtic players have pulled out...yet.  :spin:  Might as well start them all - or anyone with links - 

Bain

O'Donnell    Bates    Findlay    Tierney

McTominay

Forrest    McGregor    Armstrong    Morgan

Burke

It would obviously look better with Hendry, Mulgrew, Christie, Maloney and Griffiths in there but that's not a bad XI. 

About 5 Astana players in their squad too.   Unfortunately an "aggregate" win probably won't do for us.

Even if all the injuries are genuine, we seem to have more than our fair share every time. England for example only have Henderson as a doubt and their players are all playing for top half EPL teams. Don't tell me that their clubs wouldn't be wanting their key players to throw a sickie.

It's the problem with not qualifying for 20 off years.

Said before but look at Wales. In the Toshack era 2006-10 they use to have half their squad pull out of various reasons. Tosh decided early to have half the squad to be players 20 or under so at least those at start of their careers would be committed to turning up. That group included likes of Bale and Ramsey.

The late Gary Speed started to change that culture and made meeting up with Wales like a club gathering so the call offs started to stop and eventually Wales made euros in 2016. Now they rarely have call offs.

England is similar. Made World cup semis and players want to be part of that especially with some good young players coming through from the youth sides.

If Scotland was a club side it would be battling relegation every year and we see it's difficult to attract good players in those situations.

The negative cycle really needs to be broken by making 2020 otherwise I fear it will be 30 years before Scotland make another finals.

Folk need to get with the programme here. Whether you like it of not, International football is now a very distant second priority for these players. Even the ones who want to play.

If the SFA start trying to throw their weight around (which off course they won’t anyway), clubs AND PLAYERS will just say feck you then. They won’t have their livelihoods messed about with.

It’s a sad fact. For countries of our standing, International football is irreparably broken.

1 minute ago, Third Lanark said:

We should be looking to get Angus Gunn called up instead of the hapless Archer. Credit to Southgate who has refused to cap him just to stop him playing for us. He will have a harder job getting past Heaton, Pickford etc. than he would now with  us is.

You seem to be missing a fairly fundamental point here TL.

The boy IS ENGLISH. The boy WANTS TO PLAY FOR ENGLAND. Whether he makes it into their team or not, his ambition is to play for HIS country.

I say good luck to him. He could teach some of his other compatriots a thing or two.

19 minutes ago, Marky said:

Folk need to get with the programme here. Whether you like it of not, International football is now a very distant second priority for these players. Even the ones who want to play.

If the SFA start trying to throw their weight around (which off course they won’t anyway), clubs AND PLAYERS will just say feck you then. They won’t have their livelihoods messed about with.

It’s a sad fact. For countries of our standing, International football is irreparably broken.

Don’t be so defeatist. The performance school boys have come through a system where the Scotland team comes first and they will have bonded by coming through the system together. I expect  far fewer call offs when they are in the squad. 

1 hour ago, Third Lanark said:

Even if all the injuries are genuine, we seem to have more than our fair share every time. England for example only have Henderson as a doubt and their players are all playing for top half EPL teams. Don't tell me that their clubs wouldn't be wanting their key players to throw a sickie.

James Ward-Prowse gets England squad call-up after trio pull out
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47609917 

Three England players have pulled out. 

42 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Don’t be so defeatist. The performance school boys have come through a system where the Scotland team comes first and they will have bonded by coming through the system together. I expect  far fewer call offs when they are in the squad. 

Hardly defeatist. I’m only putting the facts of what is happening into words.

Are you really suggesting that international football isn’t secondary to these guys and that if push comes to shove, they’ll only go one way?

Just now, Marky said:

Hardly defeatist. I’m only putting the facts of what is happening into words.

Are you really suggesting that international football isn’t secondary to these guys and that if push comes to shove, they’ll only go one way?

I’m suggesting whatever is wrong it is not “irreparably “so. Self pitying hyperbole. 

7 minutes ago, Stuart87 said:

James Ward-Prowse gets England squad call-up after trio pull out
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47609917 

Three England players have pulled out. 

Looks like England have a similar problem, tbh I am not too bothered about bannan, mulgrew and archer as they would likely never of played anyways. Losing Robertson is a loss and not being able to play Fraser and Paterson for the Kazakhstan game is a bit annoying but most of who I would pick for the first team is in the squad so I don't really feel too disappointed. 

1 hour ago, Tartan Chris said:

It's the problem with not qualifying for 20 off years.

Said before but look at Wales. In the Toshack era 2006-10 they use to have half their squad pull out of various reasons. Tosh decided early to have half the squad to be players 20 or under so at least those at start of their careers would be committed to turning up. That group included likes of Bale and Ramsey.

The late Gary Speed started to change that culture and made meeting up with Wales like a club gathering so the call offs started to stop and eventually Wales made euros in 2016. Now they rarely have call offs.

England is similar. Made World cup semis and players want to be part of that especially with some good young players coming through from the youth sides.

If Scotland was a club side it would be battling relegation every year and we see it's difficult to attract good players in those situations.

The negative cycle really needs to be broken by making 2020 otherwise I fear it will be 30 years before Scotland make another finals.

Yeh I agree, This is one of the key problems, lack of success in reaching tournaments, a successful team will attract players to turn up more often and a feel good factor will start to emerge. It's a shame that we are seeing call offs with this squad as I would of thought there would be a good vibe considering we have the play off as back up after winning our last two games. Hopefully we can get some good results and gather a bit of momentum so that we can create an atmosphere where everyone wants to turn up. Also I think it's a good idea til fill the squad with a few young players to get them into the habit of international senior football plus some of the older players can't be bothered turning up if they know they won't play which is understandable as it could be time spent with their families.

57 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

I’m suggesting whatever is wrong it is not “irreparably “so. Self pitying hyperbole. 

“Self pitying” 😆😆😆😆

That’s funny.

So how will it be fixed pray tell? By standing up to those big bad clubs and gettin them pure well telt?

Edited by Marky

4 hours ago, Bino's said:

Fraser is complicit as are all the guys pulling out

Bans only way to go

If that's 10 players its 10 players

Agreed. I'd definitely agree with bans.

It's a complete waste of time for players who obviously don't want to play for Scotland being selected, I'd rather they just grow a pair and tell McLeish/SFA that they don't want to be selected. I don't care who it is, at least it would separate the wheat from the chaff.

At these times I miss Darren Fletcher. I remember he drove up to Glasgow from Manchester to play a friendly against Malta, even though he was severely suffering from his illness. He loved playing for Scotland and never pulled out through dubious reasons. I think the current batch of players should take heed of that, a European Cup and multiple EPL winner always turned up for us, whilst this lot, who are pretty much (apart from 2 or 3 players) a pile of mediocrity, pull out for the smallest of reasons.

5 hours ago, Bino's said:

This was the most important game

We always kick off a campaign with a below par defeat or draw in some far flung destination

We needed a win to get on a roll

And most of our best players can't be bothered because they want a rest for some, in most cases, mid table mediocrity run in

100% agreed.

This is the most important match, fail to win and we might as well throw in the towel.

11 minutes ago, Chripper said:

Agreed. I'd definitely agree with bans.

It's a complete waste of time for players who obviously don't want to play for Scotland being selected, I'd rather they just grow a pair and tell McLeish/SFA that they don't want to be selected. I don't care who it is, at least it would separate the wheat from the chaff.

At these times I miss Darren Fletcher. I remember he drove up to Glasgow from Manchester to play a friendly against Malta, even though he was severely suffering from his illness. He loved playing for Scotland and never pulled out through dubious reasons. I think the current batch of players should take heed of that, a European Cup and multiple EPL winner always turned up for us, whilst this lot, who are pretty much (apart from 2 or 3 players) a pile of mediocrity, pull out for the smallest of reasons.

100% agreed.

This is the most important match, fail to win and we might as well throw in the towel.

Careful Chripper. The Macarroon Bar salesman guy will be on telling you you’re entertaining hyperbole.

Bans won’t work for me though, because in my opinion the vast majority of the established players don’t give a feck anyway.

Right son you’re banned for 10 games. 

Am ah? Aw naw. Boo Hoo. Right when’s ma next league game.

If we’re talkin about league game bans then it’ll go like this.

Andy Robertson - Hey Jurgen. I’m banned for Saturday’s game coz ah didnae turn up for Scotland.

Jurgen.- Was!!!! Right wee man. You’re needin tae get yer priorities right. Dae ye want tae play for us for huge wedge and potentially get a #70m move tae Real Madrid, or dae ye want tae play for Scotland against Kazakhstan? You decide.

AR - Ah’ve decided boss. 

AR - Alec, ah’ve retred.

Edited by Marky

1 minute ago, Marky said:

Careful Chripper. The Macarroon Bar salesman guy will be on telling you you’re entertaining hyperbole.

Bans won’t work for me though, because in my opinion the vast majority of the established players don’t give a feck anyway.

Right son you’re banned for 10 games. 

Am ah? Aw naw. Boo Hoo. Right when’s ma next league game.

Hope not. That's my worst fear.

That's the point, though, isn't it? If they don't care then straight up ask them if they want to represent Scotland. If their answer is contrary to their ratio of pulling out of squads then something is amiss. As I said, I'd rather the players just man up and tell the SFA or the manager that they don't want to play for Scotland.

No. I'm talking about lifetime bans/exclusions. I'm tired of players picking and choosing when they want to play for Scotland and then hiding under their clubs and saying "they made me do it".

7 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

When a group of players emerges that is good enough to qualify. See Billy Gilmour et al. 

I wouldnae like to be hangin’ by ma haw maws waiting for that to happen me auld china.

We haven’t produced one single player even verging on the very widest perimeters of world class for at least 25 years.

Edited by Marky

29 minutes ago, Marky said:

I wouldnae like to be hangin’ by ma haw maws waiting for that to happen me auld china.

We haven’t produced one single player even verging on the very widest perimeters of world class for at least 25 years.

That’s right, we’ll be shite until the end of time with no hope of any progress.