Starting 11 for Kazakhstan match - Page 12 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Starting 11 for Kazakhstan match

mrniaboc

1 minute ago, csinclair said:

I have enough confidence in Bates & McKenna with McTominay in front of them that we wouldn't have to play players out of position to make us harder to break down.

Bloody hell... you have more faith in the team than I do. 

Russia and Belgium will take at least 8 points from us when the Euro Qualifications begin.

We are a team of limited ability, we simply have to be moulded into a team that's hard to beat, no matter what. We've been easy to play against for far too long.

Does anyone else think he'll give Scott Bain and Jon McLaughlin one game each ?

I said at the time, it was daft of McLeish not to have given McLaughlin more appearances in last years friendly matches.

Looks like David Marshall must have "withdrawn from selection" given his absence.

12 hours ago, Chripper said:

We are a team of limited ability, we simply have to be moulded into a team that's hard to beat, no matter what. We've been easy to play against for far too long.

Absolutely. I doubt many Scotland fans would disagree with that.

Its possible to achieve the above with 4 or 5 at the back. We defend as a team. McLeish played 451 in Paris and limited a strong French team to a couple of decent chances, absolutely no reason why on our day we can frustrate a good Belgium side also. 

1 hour ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Absolutely. I doubt many Scotland fans would disagree with that.

Its possible to achieve the above with 4 or 5 at the back. We defend as a team. McLeish played 451 in Paris and limited a strong French team to a couple of decent chances, absolutely no reason why on our day we can frustrate a good Belgium side also. 

Please tell me you aren’t comparing the team now to the 2006-07 team?

We now have league 1 players, a squad with strikers who’s combined goals tally is zero and less players who are playing at a good level generally than then.

Theres any number of reasons why we won’t be able to frustrate Belgium. 

3 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

We now have league 1 players, a squad with strikers who’s combined goals tally is zero and less players who are playing at a good level generally than then.

I wasn’t, more a point that a back 4 is capable of being hard to beat with a well organised approach to defending. Whether or not this team is significantly weaker than 2007 is another debate. 

2 hours ago, ProudScot said:

To be fair, we are talking only two players (and one of them is on loan from Celtic) at Sunderland, who should be nowhere near League One... but granted that is football for you) so its hardly calling up a player from AFC Wimbledon or Walsall..... and both these players will most likely have to settle for the bench at the most (lets face it, we all know Bain will start these games!).

So its hardly a true reflection of the whole squad.

Strikers we are just really unlucky just now that ALL our main ones are missing just (missing one or two is unlucky, but all of them is extreme.... Griffiths, Fletcher, Naismith, Phillips etc....)

McBurnie should have been given a fair run of games to help him settle in to the team, rather than be the fall guy for a poor performance in friendlies!

Granted, I am far from his biggest fan as every time I have seen him play for Scotland since U19 level, he has always looked a bit Bambi-ish for my liking.... but his goals for Swansea this season speak for themselves, and think these two games could be exactly what he needs for going forward.

Just a bit unlucky just now with a few things, but I am hardly worried for these two games, as I think the quality is still there to get the job done in both matches, but I would be more worried if we had this same situation in September going into the Russia-Belgium double header.

I do not think anyone is convinced we can win the group (Belgium in a friendly last year walked all over us without breaking a sweat) but I feel on our day we could match with Russia.

Based on the squad announcement and the understanding that Fraser and Paterson won't play, I'd be looking at something like this -

Bain

O'Donnell     Bates     McKenna     Robertson

McTominay

Forrest    McGinn    Armstrong    McGregor

McBurnie

4 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

Based on the squad announcement and the understanding that Fraser and Paterson won't play, I'd be looking at something like this -

Bain

O'Donnell     Bates     McKenna     Robertson

McTominay

Forrest    McGinn    Armstrong    McGregor

McBurnie

I would swap McGregor for McGinn and put one of the wide men in there probably Burke. I'd rather have Forrest on the left though and let him drift inside and have Burke on the right. Tierney at Right Back for me as he's just simply too good to leave out. So.. 

Bain

Tierney.  Bates.   McKenna. Roberston

McTominay

Burke.  Armstrong. McGregor. Forrest

McBurnie

Edited by bazmidd

1 minute ago, bazmidd said:

I would swap McGregor for McGinn and put one of the wide men out there probably Burke

That is pretty much what I first wrote down but just don't think it is the match to try Burke in another new position.

The other thing I thought about was Tierney at LB, and Robertson at LM but again, it's not really the game for experimenting.  

Fraser is a huge loss.  IMO, he's our best player.  

4 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

That is pretty much what I first wrote down but just don't think it is the match to try Burke in another new position.

The other thing I thought about was Tierney at LB, and Robertson at LM but again, it's not really the game for experimenting.  

Fraser is a huge loss.  IMO, he's our best player.  

Actually now you mention it I wouldn't be adverse to seeing that the other way around with Robertson left back and Tierney left mid. Tierney has the ability and turn of pace to get past a man from standing position whereas Robertson tends to attack from deep and overlap his winger. 

Bain

McTominay

McBurnie

a first 11 good enough to win both games. Please no more injuries.

Suspect it will be Tierney or O'Donnell in for Patterson, McTorminie for Christie, Burke for Fraser and McBurnie for Fletcher, which to be honest is acceptable as you are replacing like for like, or for better in some cases.

26 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

Bain

McTominay

McBurnie

a first 11 good enough to win both games. Please no more injuries.

I would be happy with that choice of team. Shame Fraser isn't able to play but Burke could do well there.