Starting 11 for Kazakhstan match - Page 8 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Starting 11 for Kazakhstan match

mrniaboc

3 hours ago, csinclair said:

Despite being in Bundesliga 2, because he's at a club the size of Hamburg, Bates is probably getting better coaching than some of our other young defenders.

That's a good point.

He'll be getting instruction from coaches who were not exposed to  the terrible "Largs school" of coaching - the dogma of ultra-defensive, "boot it up the park", "don't fanny about passing it around" kind off football.

On 3/4/2019 at 11:46 AM, ceudmilefailte said:

Am I the only person not totally convinced about David Bates?

Is being right footed a necessity in right side of central defence?

I wasn’t very impressed when he was at Ibrox but he did pretty well for Scotland last year and he is pretty highly rated at Hamburg. 

He could be a very important player for us over the next few years. 

16 minutes ago, bonny78 said:

Don't forget San Marino. Could be a banana skin. 

Almost every team could be a banana skin for us away from home but I’m pretty confident we’ll beat San Marino.

If we don’t we can forget the rest of the campaign I think. 

9 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Almost every team could be a banana skin for us away from home but I’m pretty confident we’ll beat San Marino.

If we don’t we can forget the rest of the campaign I think. 

Yea I ll eat my own shyte  if we don't win that one. 

Edited by bonny78

4 hours ago, bonny78 said:

Anyone think we ll get 2nd in this group 

We’ve got a decent chance if we play at our best and beat the three lowest ranked teams home and away. 

A lot will depend on how good Russia are I suppose. If they take 4 points off us then we’ll be looking at third I think.  

2 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

We’ve got a decent chance if we play at our best and beat the three lowest ranked teams home and away. 

A lot will depend on how good Russia are I suppose. If they take 4 points off us then we’ll be looking at third I think.  

All we have to do is beat Kazakhstan, Cyprus, and San Marino in both legs and Russia at Hampden and we're through. What could go wrong? 

7 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

All we have to do is beat Kazakhstan, Cyprus, and San Marino in both legs and Russia at Hampden and we're through. What could go wrong? 

That might not be enough.

What if Russia beat Kazakhstan, Cyprus and San Marino then beat us in Russia? 

We would really need to take a point in Russia to make sure of second place, assuming Belgium beat both of us home and away which isn’t guaranteed. 

Hopefully Russia have a poor campaign but I fear it might be us that do that. Again.

A good start would be nice. If we can win our first three games we’ll put ourselves in a decent position but I wouldn’t be surprised if we struggled in Kazakhstan. 

7 hours ago, mrniaboc said:

Looks like you're just assuming that Belgium will win all 4 games with us and Russia, even in that event we'd still need a point in Russia to be sure. It's likely they will all the games so could come down to the two head to heads with Russia, almost like a playoff within the group.

It's just so important that we beat all of the lesser teams as the Russians probably will. That draw with Lithuania at home in the last game pretty much killed us in the last campaign.

Russia are an odd side though. Prior to the World Cup they had years od mediocrity by their standards. They excelled in the World Cup with basically the same set of players but how much would you put that down to an adrenslin rush of being hosts in a World Cup? We need to give them respect but not be petrified of them as I feel they coulld be there for the taking. 

2 hours ago, Scotland Ever More said:

Looks like you're just assuming that Belgium will win all 4 games with us and Russia, even in that event we'd still need a point in Russia to be sure. It's likely they will all the games so could come down to the two head to heads with Russia, almost like a playoff within the group.

It's just so important that we beat all of the lesser teams as the Russians probably will. That draw with Lithuania at home in the last game pretty much killed us in the last campaign.

My post was meant more as a pastiche of what we always say just before a campaign kicks off, but we all know its never that cut and dry. 

We will drop points where we shouldn't have on paper, and pick some up where we didn't expect to. The other teams will do the same. Let's hope Russia do more of the former and less of the latter, and us vice versa! 

48 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

My post was meant more as a pastiche of what we always say just before a campaign kicks off, but we all know its never that cut and dry. 

We will drop points where we shouldn't have on paper, and pick some up where we didn't expect to. The other teams will do the same. Let's hope Russia do more of the former and less of the latter, and us vice versa! 

My only concern for that is Kazakhstan away. I don't know any of their individual players to base this on, but having a look at some of their previous results (added to the travel) it looks like they're probably a level above the likes of San Marino. 

If we can open with a win over there then i believe we will win the other 5 games against the lower ranked teams which will create a sort of mini league between ourselves, Russia and Belgium for the top two spots. Although as I said previously, Belgium will win that and leave it down to our two games with Russia. That's my prediction anyway.

Either that or we'll win the four games against Russia and Belgium and lose the other 6...

On 3/4/2019 at 11:29 AM, hampdenroarpod said:

I've heard from a strong source that Snoddy is finished with Scotland.

Just heard from the same guy it's pretty much 100% certain he won't be in the upcoming squad. Not too sure what the problem is but source is close with coaching staff and around the set-up.

13 hours ago, hampdenroarpod said:

Just heard from the same guy it's pretty much 100% certain he won't be in the upcoming squad. Not too sure what the problem is but source is close with coaching staff and around the set-up.

It's really frustrating that we have so few players playing at the top level. It's really annoying when half of those players aren't in the squad for various reasons.

Bardsley, McArthur, Snodgrass and Ritchie will all be having a week off when they could be playing for us. 

On 3/9/2019 at 8:09 AM, Caledonian Craig said:

Russia are an odd side though. Prior to the World Cup they had years od mediocrity by their standards. They excelled in the World Cup with basically the same set of players but how much would you put that down to an adrenslin rush of being hosts in a World Cup? We need to give them respect but not be petrified of them as I feel they coulld be there for the taking. 

They did o.k in the nations league, won in Turkey and really should've topped their group but lost away to Sweden in the last game.

Got some decent young players now like Golovin and Cheryshev in midfield. Dzuba was a big old unit upfront in the world cup.

They're usually strong at home but flaky away. Really need to beat them at Hampden to have a serious shot at second I think.

7 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

It's really frustrating that we have so few players playing at the top level. It's really annoying when half of those players aren't in the squad for various reasons.

Bardsley, McArthur, Snodgrass and Ritchie will all be having a week off when they could be playing for us. 

Still better than the Bertie Vogts era at least. Back then only top level player in prem was I think Barry Ferguson and he didn't really impose himself at Blackburn enough. Of course there was also Kevin Kyle upfront for Sunderland....😤

Now you have one of the best left backs in the league (Robertson), a top half standard winger (Fraser) and McTominey who's played in some good wins for Man. United in last year. If Tierney moves down to England in next year or two I'm sure a top 7 or 8 club would pick him up.

Snodgrass has had really good season for West Ham, must've started over 20 games so yes frustrating if for one reason or the other he dosen't want to continue with the national team.

Must be some issues as he's always been very committed and turned up for squads when he was down the pecking order in the late Strachan era.

1 hour ago, Tartan Chris said:

Still better than the Bertie Vogts era at least. Back then only top level player in prem was I think Barry Ferguson and he didn't really impose himself at Blackburn enough. Of course there was also Kevin Kyle upfront for Sunderland....😤

Now you have one of the best left backs in the league (Robertson), a top half standard winger (Fraser) and McTominey who's played in some good wins for Man. United in last year. If Tierney moves down to England in next year or two I'm sure a top 7 or 8 club would pick him up.

Snodgrass has had really good season for West Ham, must've started over 20 games so yes frustrating if for one reason or the other he dosen't want to continue with the national team.

Must be some issues as he's always been very committed and turned up for squads when he was down the pecking order in the late Strachan era.

Clutching. 

Also is the thumb still out? 

1 hour ago, Tartan Chris said:

There were a few more than Ferguson playing the the EPL at that time.

Naysmith, Fletcher, Cameron, Hutchinson, Dickov, McFadden and Miller would have been there around the time Ferguson was at Blackburn. I'm sure there are a few others too. 

4 hours ago, Tartan Chris said:

Ferguson was captain and player of the year at Blackburn. He got bad injuries otherwise he’s have been a top 4 EPL player. He was invariably the best player on the pitch regardless of the opposition.

7 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Ferguson was captain and player of the year at Blackburn. He got bad injuries otherwise he’s have been a top 4 EPL player. He was invariably the best player on the pitch regardless of the opposition.

No he wasn't.

During Ferguson's time at Blackburn - Brad Friedel (2003) , Tugay Kerimoğlu (2004) and Andy Todd (2005) - were voted POTY.

And he only started playing well for Blackburn after Rangers declared they were going to re-sign him at any cost. At the time of his return to Rangers he also turned down a move to Everton.

Edited by ErsatzThistle

9 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

No he wasn't.

During Ferguson's time at Blackburn - Brad Friedel (2003) , Tugay Kerimoğlu (2004) and Andy Todd (2005) - were voted POTY.

And he only started playing well for Blackburn after Rangers declared they were going to re-sign him at any cost. At the time of his return to Rangers he also turned down a move to Everton.

POTY at Birmingham, my mistake.