Starting 11 for Kazakhstan match - Page 7 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Starting 11 for Kazakhstan match

mrniaboc

On 3/2/2019 at 7:27 PM, ceudmilefailte said:

Tierney at right back in the next two games can't do any damage surely.

They're games we should be winning, and while Tierney gives us more solidity than any other option, he also kills any forward momentum down that flank. In the previous games he's played there our right side has largely not existed. Tierney can't overlap and can't cross off his right foot. In games where we're defending Belgium and probably Russia to some extent) that's not a problem, we'll be on the counter and no right back of ours will often be in a position to overlap anyway. But in games we need to win, where we will be overloading often and looking to get balls in, then Tierney is not the right player for the position.

McCrorie, Hastie, Johnston and Ferguson all in the U21s squad for the end of the month so can't see any getting moved up to the senior side unless there are injuries

also Henderson in the U19s

Edited by csinclair
additional info

4 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Am I the only person not totally convinced about David Bates?

Is being right footed a necessity in right side of central defence?

Since his first few months breaking into the senior squad with Rangers when he was dodgy he did mature and develop a lot. To the point now I'm not sure why he wouldn't be strongly considered for any Scotland starting line up. He's physical, composed and can play football out from the back.

Regarding the whole right-footed right side CB I'd say it's not essential but in this day and age where the trend seems to be passing it out from the back against a high press it is beneficial as the player will naturally be opening up towards the channel for an out ball or to clear their lines when under pressure. I've seen instances where CBs can get put under a lot of pressure that way playing on the "inverted" side of central defence.

33 minutes ago, N4Footsoldier said:

Since his first few months breaking into the senior squad with Rangers when he was dodgy he did mature and develop a lot. To the point now I'm not sure why he wouldn't be strongly considered for any Scotland starting line up. He's physical, composed and can play football out from the back.

Regarding the whole right-footed right side CB I'd say it's not essential but in this day and age where the trend seems to be passing it out from the back against a high press it is beneficial as the player will naturally be opening up towards the channel for an out ball or to clear their lines when under pressure. I've seen instances where CBs can get put under a lot of pressure that way playing on the "inverted" side of central defence.

I suppose he is young and still maturing but the fact he's playing in Bundesliga 2 and there have been no sign of anybody form a higher level showing any interest, is a worry.

4 hours ago, Brummie Hibs said:

I'm more convinced by Bates than I am of Soutar.

Agree with you there. some how I have convinced myself that Jose was right and that McTominay is a central defender.

6 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

https://bundesliga.com/en/bundesliga/news/david-bates-who-is-hamburg-s-scotland-centre-back-ginger-ramos-2205

A good stats-heavy article on Bates (I know you like them). Btw I’ve never understood people claiming Bates is slow, he ain’t and it’s why clubs will pay a lot of money for him. He has a real defenders instinct. I think he’ll go on to have a great career. Souttar and McKenna too, for that matter. All very promising. 

25 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

https://bundesliga.com/en/bundesliga/news/david-bates-who-is-hamburg-s-scotland-centre-back-ginger-ramos-2205

A good stats-heavy article on Bates (I know you like them). Btw I’ve never understood people claiming Bates is slow, he ain’t and it’s why clubs will pay a lot of money for him. He has a real defenders instinct. I think he’ll go on to have a great career. Souttar and McKenna too, for that matter. All very promising. 

Nothing like some good stats  to cheer me up on a Monday.  He's back in the team.

9 hours ago, hampdenroarpod said:

I've heard from a strong source that Snoddy is finished with Scotland.

There was a rumour going round in Israel that Snoddy had taken injections to play only to be left out the squad and a falling out with McLeish ensued.

What is the reason Snoddy is finished according to your source?

20 minutes ago, BucksburnDandy said:

There was a rumour going round in Israel that Snoddy had taken injections to play only to be left out the squad and a falling out with McLeish ensued.

I think I’d believe this before any rumours.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/16688087.robert-snodgrass-opens-his-heart-about-the-personal-issue-that-forced-him-out-of-the-scotland-set-up/

12 hours ago, BucksburnDandy said:

I really want him involved but I've heard from someone who is very close with a member of the coaching staff they don't fancy him for this squad because of 'commitment'. Hopefully it's an exaggeration. I didn't know about the story in the link posted by Rab the Crab there, hoping him and McLeish can come to an understanding before this announcement, I think Snod can still offer so much.

18 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

I suppose he is young and still maturing but the fact he's playing in Bundesliga 2 and there have been no sign of anybody form a higher level showing any interest, is a worry.

A worry? Why's that?
He's been playing in Germany just 7 months, so still proving he's adapted to the culture.
He's playing in the 2nd tier. How often do top teams show interest in players in the 2nd tier? Rare in any country.
My German's not good enough to scour their gossip press for links.

That he's playing well, for a team up the top of the league, is great. 10 games left and they're a point off the top. So looking very likely he'll be a Bundesliga defender next season. A good year there (or maybe two) and we might see him linked with someone else. Also worth remembering that while they did go down, Hamburg are a big club, normally a top 10 side in Germany. He's in a good place tbh.

2 hours ago, hampdenroarpod said:

I really want him involved but I've heard from someone who is very close with a member of the coaching staff they don't fancy him for this squad because of 'commitment'. Hopefully it's an exaggeration. I didn't know about the story in the link posted by Rab the Crab there, hoping him and McLeish can come to an understanding before this announcement, I think Snod can still offer so much.

Well, seems pretty cut and dried from the link cRab posted:

"The last time I was in the squad my mum was in the hospital, and I was in and out of the squad to visit her. It was a difficult one.
"I spoke to Alex and he told me he wanted me to be part of it
"He was always talking to me and he was really good.
"the manager came out and spoke about mentality, but it wasn’t about mentality.
" He was always really good with me though, so when the first chance came I wanted back I the squad.
"He didn’t want to say about my family situation, his thinking was that it’s up to me to say that, so he’s trying to protect all parties. He’s got a duty of care as a manager to his players and I appreciate that.
"But I want to clear it up now. He was brilliant with me and always wanted me in the squad.
"I’ve been playing with Scotland since I was 15, and I do it because I love it.
"So to say I turned my back on them, that’s never been the case ever.

Don't think we need worry.

3 hours ago, andyD said:

A worry? Why's that?
He's been playing in Germany just 7 months, so still proving he's adapted to the culture.
He's playing in the 2nd tier. How often do top teams show interest in players in the 2nd tier? Rare in any country.
My German's not good enough to scour their gossip press for links.

That he's playing well, for a team up the top of the league, is great. 10 games left and they're a point off the top. So looking very likely he'll be a Bundesliga defender next season. A good year there (or maybe two) and we might see him linked with someone else. Also worth remembering that while they did go down, Hamburg are a big club, normally a top 10 side in Germany. He's in a good place tbh.

The last 5 years Hamburg have been chronic, staying up by the skin of their teeth. However despite taking them down they have stuck with trainer Hannes Wolf. Prior to him they’d had ca. 18 trainers in the past 10 years. Think this trainer stability will have had a positive rub-off on Bates. Be interesting to see what happens if they either don’t get promoted or go up subsequently struggle and go back to the same short-term policy regarding trainer success/failure. 

On 3/4/2019 at 9:38 PM, Rab The Crab said:

I was aware of that but that from before the Israel game where relations seem to have taken a nose dive.

21 hours ago, hampdenroarpod said:

Would fully agree that he has much to offer us. Commitment genuinely didn't seem an issue before now so hopefully they can talk things through and come to an agreement. Would rather not lose another player from duty if we can do after losing McArthur and seemingly Marshall.

On 3/4/2019 at 11:46 AM, ceudmilefailte said:

I would think so. Recall when Porteous was played on the left side v Aberdeen and was torn to shreds. Slight concern that after McKenna who do we have as left Centre backs? Only Berra I think. Forget Mulgrew.

3 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

I would think so. Recall when Porteous was played on the left side v Aberdeen and was torn to shreds. Slight concern that after McKenna who do we have as left Centre backs? Only Berra I think. Forget Mulgrew.

I'd have Mulgrew any day ahead of Berra, but each to his own. If liam Cooper wants to tag along i'm pretty sure he will be selected.

Regards Naismith probably being out of next squad, the Express reported it as a fixture Naismith was expected to win his 50th cap in. Surely there is no way  he would be taken along simply to get into the hall of fame.

On 3/4/2019 at 5:18 PM, ceudmilefailte said:

Bundesliga 2 is still a decent standard, especially with a team like Hamburg who'll be back in the top tier next season. 2nd lowest goals conceded as a team in the league at the moment too. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=bundesliga+2+table&rlz=1C1GCEA_enGB802GB802&oq=bundesliga+2+table&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.3494j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#sie=lg;/g/11f40zrg6p;2;/m/09fj8w;st;fp;1;; 

5 minutes ago, McDange said:

Bundesliga 2 is still a decent standard, especially with a team like Hamburg who'll be back in the top tier next season. 2nd lowest goals conceded as a team in the league at the moment too. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=bundesliga+2+table&rlz=1C1GCEA_enGB802GB802&oq=bundesliga+2+table&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.3494j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#sie=lg;/g/11f40zrg6p;2;/m/09fj8w;st;fp;1;; 

I bet quite a lot on European football and I would say the bottom of the German top division is the worst of the top leagues, but then again Sky might have hypnotised me into believing that all decent players not playing tier one football should at worst be in the championship.

Any way he is making great progress no matter what the standard of the league is.

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Any way he is making great progress no matter what the standard of the league is.

Aye, can only beat who's in front of you, and he's doing that.

Next season will be a real test, and that's a good thing. He'll learn a lot playing regularly in the Bundesliga.