Starting 11 for Kazakhstan match - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Starting 11 for Kazakhstan match

mrniaboc

3 hours ago, bigfingers said:

Correct. Going to Kazakhstan first is a nightmare game and its the sort of game we rarely win. Macedonia and Goergia away from previous campaigns spring to mind. Its a long journey and its going to take our strongest 11 to win the match.

When would you rather have played that fixture?

To me it makes sense to put it up first. It's the kind of game where the only reason we might struggle is due to focus. That should not be an issue as it's the opening game, so with 0 points on the board, everyone's minds should be very much on the job. It's also followed by San Marino, which means no one should be thinking about not missing some crunch game with a card or a knock.

The fixtures look about as good as we could have hoped for imo. The easiest fixtures to open and close. Both Belgium games being 2nd in their respective double headers. Both Russia games being first in their respective double headers, and the tricky Russia away game followed by the easiest game we could have, home to San Marino. It's a good arrangement for us.

Compare it to Russia, who start by travelling 2500km to Belgium, then 5000km east to Kazakhstan in their opening games.
I'd much rather than what we have that that craziness!

29 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

Looks like both Christie and C McGregor could be out too. Not ideal. 

Will wait for something more reputable than the sun to do the reporting before I worry about McGregor's injury.
Rodgers said his calf had stiffened up and he was going for a scan. That's the last official word we've had afaik.

McGregor

Tierney Bates McKenna Robertson

Armstrong McGinn McLean

Forrest Fletcher Fraser

Would have had McGregor and Christie in there over the two Mc's but looks like they'll be out injured.

Plenty of legs and creativity and goals from midfield aswell as the front 3

2 hours ago, jackhayes17 said:

McGregor

Tierney Bates McKenna Robertson

Armstrong McGinn McLean

Forrest Fletcher Fraser

Would have had McGregor and Christie in there over the two Mc's but looks like they'll be out injured.

Plenty of legs and creativity and goals from midfield aswell as the front 3

That would probably be our weakest midfield in history. Two English Championship players and one mid-table EPL player.

And the scary thing is that it might actually be our starting midfield.

If we lose McGregor, then we can still cope.

McGregor
O'Donnell - Bates - McKenna - Robertson
Armstrong - McTominay
Forrest - Snodgrass - Fraser
Fletch/Burke

Snod's been ever present funder Pellegrini this season, bar one game where he was suspended. Seems to have won over a lot of the West Ham fans too, who had all but written him off when he went to Villa on loan. An on-form Snod is still a good player.
There's also the option of playing Burke just behind Fletch in place for Snod, letting him make runs beyond with Fletch being the fulcrum for the whole pacey front line.

Christie and McGregor aren't out for sure, we'll have to wait and see, but were still fine.

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 11:14 AM, andyD said:

Given that the Kazakhs are kind of rubbish, I don't see any need to have Tierney at right back. That's far too defensive a move and really stifles our forward play as he can't overlap or even advance at pace down the right flank.

McGregor
O'Donnell - Bates - McKenna - Robertson
McGregor - McTominay
Forrest - Armstrong - Hastie
Burke

I'd give Fraser a rest as he's already played as much (or more) football this season than he has in any of his years in the Premier League. So, protect him a little bit, give Forrest one game and Fraser one game. Use the opportunity to give experience to Hastie and Michael Johnston.

Then bring in Bain, Liam Palmer, Tierney, McBurnie and Lewis Ferguson for the San Marino game.

Bain
Palmer - Bates - McKenna - Tierney
McGregor - Ferguson
Fraser - Armstrong - Johnston
McBurnie

This double header feels like the best time to give a few guys experience, while keeping a core that should give us stability.

Jesus wept :(

1 hour ago, er yir macaroon said:

Rodgers also said Celtic was his dream job.

Well, if anyone believed that then they deserve the wild disappointment they must now be feeling.
He had no real reason to lie about the state of players injuries at the time tho.

If Ryan Christie and Callum McGregor are to be out of these two games, then are we getting in as replacements ?

I'm still really tempted to call up Jake Hastie and David Turnbull and throw them right in at the deep end.

John Fleck should remain in the squad too. He may prove useful in an attacking midfield role.

1 hour ago, ErsatzThistle said:

If Ryan Christie and Callum McGregor are to be out of these two games, then are we getting in as replacements ?

I'm still really tempted to call up Jake Hastie and David Turnbull and throw them right in at the deep end.

John Fleck should remain in the squad too. He may prove useful in an attacking midfield role.

John Fleck is a sitting midfielder

End of the day these games are both must win. We go all out in game 1 then perhaps rotate some for game 2 given the length of travel and possible fatigue.

We don't use these qualifiers as a chance to bed in inexperienced players. We had 9 months of losing games against tough opponents last year to do that. McLeish by now should know the nucleus of players to get results for us (and hopefully the system too!)

If he goes 5 at the back again I'll cry.

7 minutes ago, N4Footsoldier said:

If he goes 5 at the back again I'll cry.

Yes, let's keep to the tired and failed formation and don't try anything progressive, even if there's a slim chance of different results.

There's zero percent chance that McLeish will play 3/5 at the back.