Starting 11 for Kazakhstan match - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Starting 11 for Kazakhstan match

mrniaboc

3 minutes ago, Rab The Crab said:

Friendlies are the time to be experimenting, not qualifiers against relatively unknown quantities.

Also, Liam Palmer? Really?

How is playing a full strength side, bar one, "experimenting"?

And yeah, Liam Palmer. Why does that warrant a 'really?'
Our current right back options are... O'Donnell. That's about it.

We can shuffle non-right backs in to play there, like Paterson and Tierney, but they both have their drawbacks, and I can't see any right back better than Palmer available to act as backup to O'Donnell. Happy for you to name the numerous players I've missed that justify the 'really?'

6 minutes ago, N4Footsoldier said:

Any guarantee we'll have Christie fit again for these games? He'll be a big loss based on his recent form if he can't play

No guarantee. Currently being reported as 'out for weeks'. If it's 2 weeks, then he's got a chance of getting back fit before the qualifiers, but if it's 3 then, you've got to think he becomes a risk, and we're better going with fully fit players.

I agree, Christie is probably the one player we don't have a ready made replacement for. I suspect he'll be missed if he's out.

25 minutes ago, andyD said:

It's not tho, is it.

Against Lithuania, we played our strongest 11. The same side that beat Malta 5-1 the game before. We didn't drop points in that game because of rotating players, but because of Hanley's bombscare defending and Forrest and Griff missing easy chances.

Georgia again was a full strength team, and again Hanley just being locked onto the ball instead of playing as part of a defense. We lacked any kind of cohesion or workrate that night. We didn't lose due to the line up it was just a bout of Scotlanditis.

Scotlanditis can strike at any time, we know that, that's been true for decades. And it's not related to the lineup.

There’s a combination of things that can result in Scotlanditis as you put it. I agree that it’s not just the lineup, attitude and mentality are a big part. 

But individual mistakes happen, can’t mind his name but the right back in Georgia 07, sure it was his debut and he had a nightmare, think both goals came down his side. 

I don’t think we’re good enough to not be starting with our strongest team. If McLeish concluded that player x is knackered and shouldn’t start then that’s a different story.

Edited by ParisInAKilt

3 hours ago, andyD said:

Given that the Kazakhs are kind of rubbish, I don't see any need to have Tierney at right back. That's far too defensive a move and really stifles our forward play as he can't overlap or even advance at pace down the right flank.

McGregor
O'Donnell - Bates - McKenna - Robertson
McGregor - McTominay
Forrest - Armstrong - Hastie
Burke

I'd give Fraser a rest as he's already played as much (or more) football this season than he has in any of his years in the Premier League. So, protect him a little bit, give Forrest one game and Fraser one game. Use the opportunity to give experience to Hastie and Michael Johnston.

Then bring in Bain, Liam Palmer, Tierney, McBurnie and Lewis Ferguson for the San Marino game.

Bain
Palmer - Bates - McKenna - Tierney
McGregor - Ferguson
Fraser - Armstrong - Johnston
McBurnie

This double header feels like the best time to give a few guys experience, while keeping a core that should give us stability.

You’re off your head if you think we’re resting players for an away opening qualifier. Jeez. 

Edited by er yir macaroon

1 hour ago, andyD said:

We can shuffle non-right backs in to play there, like Paterson and Tierney, but they both have their drawbacks, and I can't see any right back better than Palmer available to act as backup to O'Donnell. Happy for you to name the numerous players I've missed that justify the 'really?'

Due to the fact it’s not full strength, I’d class it as experimental.

Palmer is a bog standard championship midfielder/defender who has had a pretty average career, hasn’t been involved in our setup for years and for all we know might not even be interested any more.

I’d consider Tierney, Paterson and Ryan Jack all to be more suitable replacements for O Donnell.

1 hour ago, andyD said:

Nothing justifies a "Really?"  It should be consigned to the trash can of irritating overused buzz words and phrases. And it can take fucking "To be fair" and "I'm not gonna lie" with it.😆

1 minute ago, todd said:

Nothing justifies a "Really?"  It should be consigned to the trash can of irritating overused buzz words and phrases. And it can take fucking "To be fair" and "I'm not gonna lie" with it.😆

I just thought it was more polite than, are you f@ckin joking? 😂

2 hours ago, andyD said:

It's not tho, is it.

Against Lithuania, we played our strongest 11. The same side that beat Malta 5-1 the game before. We didn't drop points in that game because of rotating players, but because of Hanley's bombscare defending and Forrest and Griff missing easy chances.

Georgia again was a full strength team, and again Hanley just being locked onto the ball instead of playing as part of a defense. We lacked any kind of cohesion or workrate that night. We didn't lose due to the line up it was just a bout of Scotlanditis.

Scotlanditis can strike at any time, we know that, that's been true for decades. And it's not related to the lineup.

Maybe I phrased it wrong. I meant the attitude in general that we shouldn't have to try our best to win those sort of games. Certainly some fans, and I'm sure players too, are complacent and ignorant at times. Just because we don't know much about a certain nation some people assume we just need to turn up. First game of a new campaign, it should be best players on the park with a rocket up their arses I reckon.

40 minutes ago, hampdenroarpod said:

Maybe I phrased it wrong. I meant the attitude in general that we shouldn't have to try our best to win those sort of games. Certainly some fans, and I'm sure players too, are complacent and ignorant at times. Just because we don't know much about a certain nation some people assume we just need to turn up. First game of a new campaign, it should be best players on the park with a rocket up their arses I reckon.

The I agree with you. We absolutely have to turn up. I just don't see swapping one player in the starting lineup as a massive deal, especially given the guy's form. There folk on here calling me crazy for "resting players".. it's one guy! :D

Really don't get this experimenting stuff, what exactly do the players or the manager learn by giving game time in a match against San Marino or the like. Players should get their place in the stating eleven through club form or injuries to others, I would hardly say 20 minutes against San Marino is going to prepare anyone for anything.

I think just about every one on here is underestimating Paterson. He has improved no end since going down south and is more than capable of filling the right back position. I reckon he is one of our best all round players and the O'Donell hype is based on little more than one decent international performance. Like it or not there's a reason why, at his age he plays for Kilmarnock and not some random championship team

1 hour ago, andyD said:

You think we need our best 11 to beat a side on a 30 odd game losing streak?

Both posts that I quoted are incredibly questionable.

Either you havent watched us before, or are mad. If a country can fuck it up, it will be Scotland, to play anything other than our strongest team in every competitive game is absolute folly, lunacy and tantamount to insanity.

18 hours ago, andyD said:

Similarly, the Kazakh's are not a good side at all.

Who do some Scotland fans think we are?!

Kazakhstan aren't good? Yeah, well, neither are we. We have no divine right to expect a win against Kazakhstan, and to be honest, I can see us either losing or drawing against them.

I have no zero confidence in these players or the manager.

1 hour ago, Chripper said:

Who do some Scotland fans think we are?!

Kazakhstan aren't good? Yeah, well, neither are we. We have no divine right to expect a win against Kazakhstan, and to be honest, I can see us either losing or drawing against them.

I have no zero confidence in these players or the manager.

Correct. Going to Kazakhstan first is a nightmare game and its the sort of game we rarely win. Macedonia and Goergia away from previous campaigns spring to mind. Its a long journey and its going to take our strongest 11 to win the match.