Starting 11 for Kazakhstan match - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Starting 11 for Kazakhstan match

mrniaboc

McGregor

Tierney McKenna Bates Robertson

McGregor McTominay

Forrest          Christie          Fraser

Burke

This starting 11 really excites me. I think McGregor and McTominay could become a dominating defensive midfield due for us in the future, and I just love the idea of Forrest, Christie, Fraser, and Burke all running at a weaker team together. They will shit their pants! I think Armstrong or McGinn might start in place of McTominay, Fletcher instead of Burke, and someone instead of Tierney, however I'm totally fine with that too. Good times! No doubt when it all kicks off we won't win the match, but just now I'm in full blown excitement and optimism mode three weeks out. 

I’d play McGinn or Armstrong ahead of McTominay who I don’t rate on the small amount of times I’ve seen him. Probably be seen as harsh. 

Burke is a gamble, one I wouldn’t be opposed to making, suspect Fletcher will start though. 

Hopefully we approach the game in the right way, that’s just as important to the formation or players, none of this trying to sneak a win but happy with a draw pish away from home

43 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

I’d play McGinn or Armstrong ahead of McTominay who I don’t rate on the small amount of times I’ve seen him. Probably be seen as harsh. 

Burke is a gamble, one I wouldn’t be opposed to making, suspect Fletcher will start though

Hopefully we approach the game in the right way, that’s just as important to the formation or players, none of this trying to sneak a win but happy with a draw pish away from home

You'd have to think that Russia and Belgium will beat Cyprus, San Marino and Kazakhstan home and away so we're looking to do the same and create a sort of mini league between us and them, so a draw would be a disaster imo.

I'd also have McGinn ahead of McTominay but the rest of that team looks decent enough. Tierney's done well at RB before for us. If Burke keeps scoring for Celtic then he might get in ahead of Fletcher. Just a pity we don't have Griffiths available as he would start ahead of them both.

It looks like Christie will be injured. I’d play Armstrong instead as he gives us that bit of pace through midfield to shake things up. I would say it’s a bit too risky to play Burke at centre forward at the moment and would start with Fletcher. I’m undecided on the right back problem but I suppose Tierney. I didn’t see McTominay’s MOTM v Liverpool, but I’d say either him or McGinn alongside McGregor. Bates or Souttar at right centre half to partner McKenna.

9 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

It looks like Christie will be injured. I’d play Armstrong instead as he gives us that bit of pace through midfield to shake things up. I would say it’s a bit too risky to play Burke at centre forward at the moment and would start with Fletcher. I’m undecided on the right back problem but I suppose Tierney. I didn’t see McTominay’s MOTM v Liverpool, but I’d say either him or McGinn alongside McGregor. Bates or Souttar at right centre half to partner McKenna.

Was McTominay MOM against Liverpool?

11 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

I thought Christie was expected back for the Aberdeen game on 9th March and would likely just miss the two games this week? If so then he'll be available.

Has Armstrong been starting for Southampton recently?

McGregor

McGregor McTominay

Forrest          Armstrong          Fraser

Fletcher

Miracle if Christie makes it. Armstrong usually performs for Scotland so got to have him in somewhere.

Fletcher has a bit more experience in the role than most other players in the squad so I would start with him.

9 hours ago, mrniaboc said:

McGregor

McGregor McTominay

Forrest          Christie          Fraser

Burke

This starting 11 really excites me. I think McGregor and McTominay could become a dominating defensive midfield due for us in the future, and I just love the idea of Forrest, Christie, Fraser, and Burke all running at a weaker team together. They will shit their pants! I think Armstrong or McGinn might start in place of McTominay, Fletcher instead of Burke, and someone instead of Tierney, however I'm totally fine with that too. Good times! No doubt when it all kicks off we won't win the match, but just now I'm in full blown excitement and optimism mode three weeks out. 

Would play Armstrong ahead of Christie and I'm still not convinced by McKenna at all, but I like the look of that

Given that the Kazakhs are kind of rubbish, I don't see any need to have Tierney at right back. That's far too defensive a move and really stifles our forward play as he can't overlap or even advance at pace down the right flank.

McGregor
O'Donnell - Bates - McKenna - Robertson
McGregor - McTominay
Forrest - Armstrong - Hastie
Burke

I'd give Fraser a rest as he's already played as much (or more) football this season than he has in any of his years in the Premier League. So, protect him a little bit, give Forrest one game and Fraser one game. Use the opportunity to give experience to Hastie and Michael Johnston.

Then bring in Bain, Liam Palmer, Tierney, McBurnie and Lewis Ferguson for the San Marino game.

Bain
Palmer - Bates - McKenna - Tierney
McGregor - Ferguson
Fraser - Armstrong - Johnston
McBurnie

This double header feels like the best time to give a few guys experience, while keeping a core that should give us stability.

6 minutes ago, andyD said:

Given that the Kazakhs are kind of rubbish, I don't see any need to have Tierney at right back. That's far too defensive a move and really stifles our forward play as he can't overlap or even advance at pace down the right flank.

McGregor
McGregor - McTominay
Burke

I'd give Fraser a rest as he's already played as much (or more) football this season than he has in any of his years in the Premier League. So, protect him a little bit, give Forrest one game and Fraser one game. Use the opportunity to give experience to Hastie and Michael Johnston.

Then bring in Bain, Liam Palmer, Tierney, McBurnie and Lewis Ferguson for the San Marino game.

Bain
McGregor - Ferguson
McBurnie

This double header feels like the best time to give a few guys experience, while keeping a core that should give us stability.

I’m not sure its a good idea to start resting players for important matches. 

7 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

I’m not sure its a good idea to start resting players for important matches. 

I don't see us needing our best 11 to beat San Marino.

Similarly, the Kazakh's are not a good side at all.
They have just a single player who plays outside the Kazakh league.
They managed a 1-1 draw in Andorra in the Nations League and lost home and away to Georgia (who are similarly ranked to Israel).
In WC qualifying they lost 3-1 at home to Denmark, 3-0 at home to Montenegro.

They do very occasionally throw up an odd result, like a 2-2 at Home to Poland, but that's why for that game the only player I think I'd rest is Fraser for Hastie. It doesn't feel like a massive gamble.

16 minutes ago, andyD said:

They managed a 1-1 draw in Andorra in the Nations League and lost home and away to Georgia (who are similarly ranked to Israel).

They do very occasionally throw up an odd result, like a 2-2 at Home to Poland, but that's why for that game the only player I think I'd rest is Fraser for Hastie. It doesn't feel like a massive gamble.

If we draw either of those games and havent played our strongest team i think serious questions will be asked. 

For me it's got to be 
                    McGregor
O'Donnell Bates McKenna Robertson
               McGregor McGinn
Forrest        Armstrong       Fraser
                       McBurnie

I'm assuming Christie will still be out and if McBurnie doesn't do the business then bring on Burke.

If Rodgers does indeed leave Celtic, it could have an big impact on what our team will look like, although the changes might not been seen next month.

Celtic has a huge squad and a new manager might not go with a team dominated by Scottish players like Rodgers has.

This would be my suggestion -

McGregor

Tierney    Bates    McKenna    Robertson

McGregor

Forrest    Armstrong   Christie   Fraser

Fletcher

37 minutes ago, andyD said:

Have you ever watched Scotland away before? We are world class at struggling against teams we should beat.  Look at Israel away for a good recent example.

31 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

Have you ever watched Scotland away before? We are world class at struggling against teams we should beat.  Look at Israel away for a good recent example.

Aye, but Georgia is one thing, the Kazakhs are another.
I'm confident we can afford to rest 1 winger for a player who is bang in form and plays in a similar style (taking people on).

1 hour ago, andyD said:

That's the kind of mindset that sees us draw against Lithuania and Georgia. Best XI for the kazakhstan game no doubt about it.

Edited by hampdenroarpod

15 minutes ago, andyD said:

Aye, but Georgia is one thing, the Kazakhs are another.
I'm confident we can afford to rest 1 winger for a player who is bang in form and plays in a similar style (taking people on).

Fraser should be the first name on our team sheet. Leaving him out would be mental - especially for a player that's played around 10 games for Motherwell!! 

Edited by PASTA Mick

2 hours ago, andyD said:

McGregor
McGregor - McTominay
Burke

Bain
McGregor - Ferguson
McBurnie

Friendlies are the time to be experimenting, not qualifiers against relatively unknown quantities.

Also, Liam Palmer? Really?

1 minute ago, hampdenroarpod said:

That's the kind of mindset that sees us draw against Lithuania and Georgia. Best XI for the kazakhstan game no doubt about it.

It's not tho, is it.

Against Lithuania, we played our strongest 11. The same side that beat Malta 5-1 the game before. We didn't drop points in that game because of rotating players, but because of Hanley's bombscare defending and Forrest and Griff missing easy chances.

Georgia again was a full strength team, and again Hanley just being locked onto the ball instead of playing as part of a defense. We lacked any kind of cohesion or workrate that night. We didn't lose due to the line up it was just a bout of Scotlanditis.

Scotlanditis can strike at any time, we know that, that's been true for decades. And it's not related to the lineup.