BBC Scotland - Page 4 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

6 hours ago, aaid said:

I've listened to Breaking the News on Radio Scotland for the last few years and even though it's essentially a Scottish version of Have I Got News For You it's generally pretty good and the fact its been going for a few years on Radio demonstrates its a format that works, I thought it translated well to TV.

There was a pilot on a couple of months back - in hindsight they were obviously trying it out with a view to the new channel - it was pretty good but the problem was that they'd basically filmed the show that had been on the radio at the weekend, which showed that you didn't need to do anything to change the format.   The other pilots were a sketch show fronted by Rab Florence - from Burnistoun - and a stand up show which was hosted by Ashley Storrie.  Both of these I thought showed looked promising so I hope they've been commissioned for the new channel.

Yes my husband listens to Breaking the News on radio too. He was really surprised when he seen Stuart Mitchell ( hopefully no relative of Bily 🙄) , as he had never seen him before, only heard him on that show and it was one of those situations where the person looks nothing like you imagined them to be. I had never even heard of him, I thought he was funny.

I thought Tiffany Stevenson seemed a bit awkward, it didnt really flow for her. Unlike Stocky I enjoyed  Susan Calman. 

IMO Its pretty brave to put on an equivalent of Have I Got News for You given rhe high profile comedians and presenters they have on there.   

Tutti Frutti was utter shite. I was so disapointed as I have really fond memories of it. 

11 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I thought Tiffany Stevenson seemed a bit awkward, it didnt really flow for her. Unlike Stocky I enjoyed  Susan Calman. 

I normally think that Susan Calman is pretty annoying but thought she was okay in this.

24 minutes ago, irnbruman said:

Susan Calman on a par with Miranda and Bob Monkhouse. Couldnt laugh at anything uttered by any of them.

I cannot stand Miranda or Bob Monkhouse either. Would add Sarah Millican to the list.

I havent really seen much of Susan Calman, might just have got her on a good night . 

I dont often watch Reporting Scotland, however, tonights lead story was the knife deaths in London and Manchester, which was also reported on the 6 oclock news.  Why it was lead story up here is anyones guess.

2 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

🙄

Tutti Frutti was utter shite. I was so disapointed as I have really fond memories of it. 

Care to explain? (there's quite a gap between disappointing and utter shite?) as I said I just found it very slow. 

(there is also the Films not what you expected /remembered thread) 

Edited by exile

45 minutes ago, exile said:

Care to explain? (there's quite a gap between disappointing and utter shite?) as I said I just found it very slow. 

I watched about 5 minutes of a Scottish program on 4 on demand called Absolutely, now that was utter shite

Absolutely was fantastic, although it may not have aged terribly well.

A few years ago, one of the satellite stations that nobody ever watched ran Rab C again, I loved it decades ago, but it was awful in the modern era. Could be the same with Absolutely.

22 hours ago, exile said:

I was disappointed that it was shite. I gave up after 30 minutes. There was absolutely nothing I enjoyed about it . It was slow, unfunny and dated. A blt like me,  so i am no entirely sure why I disliked it. It definetely could fall into the films/ not what i remembered thread.

Obviously the programme hasn't changed at all, times have changed, scarily so. I have changed too. Also scarily so. 

I remember watching a series in the 80’s  callled The High Life which I found hilarious at the time. It was shown a few years ago and I was disappointed in that too. 

Some memories definitely are best left in the past.  

I remember a program about 10-15years ago about a high rise flat that was funny as fuck

There was two junkies, one worked in a video shop. There was also a postie that thought he was a cowboy and a big fat cunt wi a wee skinny wife that was shagging the postie turned cowboy

She left him and told him that he’d never gave her an orgasm and his reply was “You never said you wanted one” 😂😂😂

Anybody remember what it was called?

Edited by DoonTheSlope

I just watched Tutti Frutti on iPlayer and enjoyed it.

As with much of John Byrne's writing, it's not meant to be a laugh out loud sitcom, rather an equal parts comic drama. I like it.

25 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

I remember a program about 10-15years ago about a high rise flat that was funny as fuck

There was two junkies, one worked in a video shop. There was also a postie that thought he was a cowboy and a big fat cunt wi a wee skinny wife that was shagging the postie turned cowboy

She left him and told him that he’d never gave her an orgasm and his reply was “You never said you wanted one” 😂😂😂

High Times.

It was alright, they only made two series of it.

It's an STV show rather than a BBC show though.

Edited by ErsatzThistle

Went back and watched the very first episode of Absolutely. It was pretty dire. Not sure how long it was before they introduced McGlashan, Stoneybridge and Shadwell. Calum Gilhooley was the highlight of the first episode. 

The first episode of the Central Station documentary was good.

There was something rather satisfying about those two rude middle aged auld cows getting upset about missing their train to the Ed Sheeran concert and then one of them says she'll complain to "British Rail" about it.:lol:

Just who the hell did that fanny with the camera think he was, screaming at someone to "fuck off" just so he could take a picture of a train. Pwick,

On 3/5/2019 at 10:09 PM, DoonTheSlope said:

high times ?

On 3/4/2019 at 7:02 PM, kumnio said:

I dont often watch Reporting Scotland, however, tonights lead story was the knife deaths in London and Manchester, which was also reported on the 6 oclock news.  Why it was lead story up here is anyones guess.

Watched Reporting Scotland for 1st time since new channel started. Makes sense now giving us 'our own' channel. Few will watch the new channel, most will continue watching the main channel. The 'Britishization' of Scotland continues unchecked. 

Edited by Och Aye

49 minutes ago, Och Aye said:

Watched Reporting Scotland for 1st time since new channel started. Makes sense now giving us 'our own' channel. Few will watch the new channel, most will continue watching the main channel. The 'Britishization' of Scotland continues unchecked. 

Who knows? Once it has taken root it may take on its own identity and develop its own traditions. A bit like Holyrood: although it may have been deliberately designed to be no more than a devolved talking shop, it has grown its own traditions and sense of identity. People then get used to it...

Also the Debate Night programme is very different in character from Question Time. 

I watch The Nine occasionally and it seems quite good, and certainly better than the turgid Reporting Scotland with sour-faced Jackie Bird.  I also watched Debate Night last night and it is a far better show than QT - an audience that seems to be more like a genuine cross section of Scotland and no sign of the comedy yoons like Bigot Billy.  I thought the 2 non-politicans were not great at getting their points across as often they seemed to have difficulty stringing coherent sentences together, and they wriggled around on their chairs and waved arms about a lot which was distracting - but more that they didn't seem suited to this type of programme even if the prodicers wanted them on for their particular interests and views.  Some of the audience members made some good contributions.  I think it would be better at 10pm as it's on a bit late for a midweek night, but it looks like it could be a valuable addition to our schedules.  Even Anas Sarwar came across reasonably well - it's interesting to see hear some of these often derided politicians when they're talking about subjects in which they have a genuine interest - Sarwar on anti-semitism for example where he actually said that being against the Israeli governments policies and actions didn't mean you were anti-semitic - expect a call from Jeremy, Anas.  Liz Smith of the Tories was reasonable even though I disagreed with much of what she said, but she put her points across politely and didn't interrupt everyone else, and she was heard out respectfully. Kate Forbes was on it and she's a star, destined for higher things I suspect.  i thought Steven Jardine was excellent at chairing the discussion, interjecting at the right time and raising a laugh on occasions.  I would say well worth watching.