BBC Scotland - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

3 hours ago, exile said:

Meanwhile over on BBC1 they've been running Shetland. So as long as the BBC1 poaches the best dramas coming out of Scotland, it will be difficult to shake the impression that BBC Scotland is a second string channel, and not all that a 'national'TV station could be. 

It's early days. Shetland is an established UK/worldwide syndicated programme, so it's understandable to have been kept on BBC1.

I see the new channel as being a vehicle for programmes that are not intended to be shown outside of Scotland.

Did anyone watch Real Kashmir?  I have recorded it and only saw a wee bit. Davie Robertson appears to have been influenced by Fergie's hairdryer...

5 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Did anyone watch Real Kashmir?  I have recorded it and only saw a wee bit. Davie Robertson appears to have been influenced by Fergie's hairdryer...

Very good, we'll  made and a really interesting story.  Davie Robertson likes a swear though.  

6 hours ago, Toepoke said:

It's early days. Shetland is an established UK/worldwide syndicated programme, so it's understandable to have been kept on BBC1.

I see the new channel as being a vehicle for programmes that are not intended to be shown outside of Scotland.

But that's my point - it's being  deliberately set up as a second string channel, not to show the best of what Scotland can do, or to be internationally competitive, which is reserved for the British channel. Yes it's early days but that decision seems telling, to me. 

Anyway next up, it's Debate Night tonight. It's possible that a weekly format means that we get a better spread of Scottish issues and not just the polarised 'showdown' that the Scottish edition of QT tends to be. I wonder who will be on it or in the audience...

Edited by exile

7 minutes ago, exile said:

But that's my point - it's being  deliberately set up as a second string channel, not to show the best of what Scotland can do, or to be internationally competitive, which is reserved for the British channel. Yes it's early days but that decision seems telling, to me. 

Is Shetland not a BBC UK production though? I haven't really watched it.

It's true BBC Scotland will play second fiddle to BBC UK, because we're not independent yet.

On Monday, February 25, 2019 at 9:28 PM, stocky said:

did you watch? 

I thought it was brilliant, could you imagine anyone doing that today...

Especially a Union or anyone in the Labour Movement.,.,,.

Finished watching it last night, great inspirational stuff. Was quite emotional when they were being thanked by Chile at the end.

7 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Is Shetland not a BBC UK production though? I haven't really watched it.

It's true BBC Scotland will play second fiddle to BBC UK, because we're not independent yet.

OK but regardless of who made  any programme, BBC1 still allows itself to show all sorts of programmes including international ones.  It reserves the right to put on the best show it can  for the British audience, wherever it is made or whoever made it. It does not allow that for BBC Scotland. This is even just talking about programming not politics (though I find myself using the word 'reserved' twice 😉). But who knows how it will evolve in future.  It could be a start....

1 hour ago, exile said:

OK but regardless of who made  any programme, BBC1 still allows itself to show all sorts of programmes including international ones.  It reserves the right to put on the best show it can  for the British audience, wherever it is made or whoever made it. It does not allow that for BBC Scotland. This is even just talking about programming not politics (though I find myself using the word 'reserved' twice 😉). But who knows how it will evolve in future.  It could be a start....

Sorry, but saying that Shetland should only be shown on BBC Scotland - and that's essentially what you're saying - is akin to saying that Vera (based on novels by the same author) should only be shown in the NE of England and the Sopranos should only be shown in New Jersey.   These are all programs that have wide appeal and to some extent could be set anywhere, the location is secondary to the underlying story.  In the future, maybe a Scottish Broadcasting Corporation may make drama of the quality of Shetland and sell it to an international audience - including the rUK - but under the current settlement programs of this appeal will naturally be on the network channels.

If this new channel is to be successful then it'll be in doing two things.   Firstly, having programming which is specific to Scotland and which has limited appeal outwith Scotland.  Currently there is some of this in the BBC 1&2 network opt-outs but the new channel provides a lot more scope and airtime.   Secondly - and specifically to News and Current Affairs - presenting a different Scottish perspective to that which comes from - predominantly - London.    At the moment there is very little of this.  Reporting Scotland - or the football and murder show - has proven to be incapable of doing this to any great degree.   Some of this is institutional, some of it is practical.   For example, with something like Brexit, which dominates the news, if there's a 10 minute piece on the Network six o'clock news, do you need to rehash this in Reporting Scotland?   Outwith the news, Scottish Current Affairs coverage is next to non-existent.  You have FMQs, Sunday Politics and Politics Scotland on a Wednesday afternoon, all of these are only on when Parliament is sitting, the odd 30 minute piece of investigative journalism and that's about it.

There was a good example last night of what the new channel promised on The Nine last night.    They had a longish piece with James Cook in Madrid covering the trial of the Catalan leaders.   That's not strictly speaking Scottish news but it is International news which is of more importance in Scotland - for obvious reasons - than in the rest of the UK and so deserves more in depth coverage.

Here's a suggestion for them to repeat.

The Scots Quair Trilogy - Sunset Song, Cloud Howe & Grey Granite made by BBC Scotland between 1971 and 1983. It was well received at the time but has since been forgotten and never repeated.

The episodes definitely all still exist complete in the archives. 

The three surviving episodes (two are missing) of Scotch on the Rocks would be interesting to see but I doubt they'd ever show them.

17 hours ago, Toepoke said:

I just watched it, really enjoyed it, thought it was excellent.

8 hours ago, aaid said:

Sorry, but saying that Shetland should only be shown on BBC Scotland - and that's essentially what you're saying - is akin to saying that Vera (based on novels by the same author) should only be shown in the NE of England and the Sopranos should only be shown in New Jersey.   These are all programs that have wide appeal and to some extent could be set anywhere, the location is secondary to the underlying story.  In the future, maybe a Scottish Broadcasting Corporation may make drama of the quality of Shetland and sell it to an international audience - including the rUK - but under the current settlement programs of this appeal will naturally be on the network channels.

If this new channel is to be successful then it'll be in doing two things.   Firstly, having programming which is specific to Scotland and which has limited appeal outwith Scotland.  Currently there is some of this in the BBC 1&2 network opt-outs but the new channel provides a lot more scope and airtime.   Secondly - and specifically to News and Current Affairs - presenting a different Scottish perspective to that which comes from - predominantly - London.    At the moment there is very little of this.  Reporting Scotland - or the football and murder show - has proven to be incapable of doing this to any great degree.   Some of this is institutional, some of it is practical.   For example, with something like Brexit, which dominates the news, if there's a 10 minute piece on the Network six o'clock news, do you need to rehash this in Reporting Scotland?   Outwith the news, Scottish Current Affairs coverage is next to non-existent.  You have FMQs, Sunday Politics and Politics Scotland on a Wednesday afternoon, all of these are only on when Parliament is sitting, the odd 30 minute piece of investigative journalism and that's about it.

There was a good example last night of what the new channel promised on The Nine last night.    They had a longish piece with James Cook in Madrid covering the trial of the Catalan leaders.   That's not strictly speaking Scottish news but it is International news which is of more importance in Scotland - for obvious reasons - than in the rest of the UK and so deserves more in depth coverage.

No time to reply fully here /now; but just to say, I did not mean Shetland should not be shown widely elsewhere -  of course it should. Nor for that matter to that BBC Scotland should only show Scottish content. I'm saying if bbc scotland is to be a 'national' and not regional channel it should be like the equivalent of bbc 1 -  or stv/itv

...and yes I saw the Catalan piece last night and also tonight as well. This is all welcome. And Scottish football on the Nine 

On tonight's Debate Night, I see the guests are John Swinney, Murdo Fraser, Monica Lennon, Tom Hunter and Jenny Lindsay.

I see Sportscene on Sunday has the cup and also Monday (Partick v Hearts). But not sure what a normal league week coverage would be. Should Sportscene be restored to Saturday night? 

Edited by exile

1 hour ago, exile said:

Should Sportscene be restored to Saturday night? 

I don't think the current SPFL tv deal permits it. Thats why you get a Saturday night Sportscene when it's the Scottish Cup, and also why midweek Sportscenes can't be on until after midnight. 

So, Debate Night seems to have a generally good reception on Twitter. Not too polarised, not too pantomime.

Football interest as a Hearts supporter, in a point about sectarianism, calls out Murdo Fraser for his Queen's 11 comment, as being part of the problem. But Fraser (wearing a red white and blue tie) ignores the question but waffles about everyone needing to do better.

So tonight's offering includes 

Sportscene Greenock Morton v Falkirk at 7pm

and later (at 11)

A View from the Terrace

"An irreverent, sideways look at the world of Scottish Football, from the top of the pile to the dogfights, the stars to the journeyman."

Sounds like the TV equivalent of "This weekends matches 2018/2019"

On 3/1/2019 at 11:14 PM, kumnio said:

Only 15 minutes or so in, but The Terrace seems to be utter shite with a production cost of £70.

I watched this on IPlayer and fuck me I sincerely hope nobody outside Scotland watch it. Embarrassing stuff.

On 3/1/2019 at 11:21 PM, TDYER63 said:

Thought Breaking the News was quite funny and unashamedly   laughed out loud at large parts of Burnistoun. 

I've listened to Breaking the News on Radio Scotland for the last few years and even though it's essentially a Scottish version of Have I Got News For You it's generally pretty good and the fact its been going for a few years on Radio demonstrates its a format that works, I thought it translated well to TV.

There was a pilot on a couple of months back - in hindsight they were obviously trying it out with a view to the new channel - it was pretty good but the problem was that they'd basically filmed the show that had been on the radio at the weekend, which showed that you didn't need to do anything to change the format.   The other pilots were a sketch show fronted by Rab Florence - from Burnistoun - and a stand up show which was hosted by Ashley Storrie.  Both of these I thought showed looked promising so I hope they've been commissioned for the new channel.

I Liked the Peoples news last night, first watch,  just ordinary people talking about the news. 

Burnistoun had genuine laff out loud moments 

view from the terraces was OK... Steven O Donnell's  interview was good .. 

i think it'll get better...

Still to catch up on Tutti Fruiti   , will it be a great as i remember    ....

breaking the news   was disappointing, but maybe thats because i cannae stand Susan ( im an arse) Calman...  

if you look at the end credits of all the shows , they are employing an awfy lot of people , which is good.........