Duncan Ferguson - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Duncan Ferguson

39 minutes ago, dan cake said:

He got tagged after his last offence I don’t think that was an option in Ferguson’s day 

He’s had everything but the jai. 2 x police assaults and the rest 😂

Ferguson was no saint but folk get away with multiple charges and never get time. Plus, being charged by the Polis due to the Raith incident was ridiculous. Could probably come up with hundreds of far worse ‘assaults’ on the park where the Police are not involved

From what I recall at the time, the decision to charge him was viewed as the PF looking to make a name for himself.   I've some memory at the time that - like now - there was a lot "outrage" over behaviour on and off the pitch.   This was also only a few years after Butcher, Woods, Roberts and McAvennie went to court over something approaching "handbags"  that has probably happened hundreds of times since with no legal intervention.

Ferguson was obviously a high profile player at the time and there's no doubt that his prior convictions went against him as regards sentencing.   I seem to remember that he might have actually been on probation for one of the previous convictions which I supposed made the custodial sentence more likely.

I think while Ferguson did what he did, he was probably the wrong person in the wrong place at the wrong time.

The part that really stunk to me was the SFA waiting until he'd served his sentence before starting his ban which showed Jim Farry up for being the petty little man he was.    I don't normally hold with players refusing to play for their country but that was one case where I had every sympathy for Ferguson.

4 hours ago, aaid said:

From what I recall at the time, the decision to charge him was viewed as the PF looking to make a name for himself.   I've some memory at the time that - like now - there was a lot "outrage" over behaviour on and off the pitch.   This was also only a few years after Butcher, Woods, Roberts and McAvennie went to court over something approaching "handbags"  that has probably happened hundreds of times since with no legal intervention.

Ferguson was obviously a high profile player at the time and there's no doubt that his prior convictions went against him as regards sentencing.   I seem to remember that he might have actually been on probation for one of the previous convictions which I supposed made the custodial sentence more likely.

I think while Ferguson did what he did, he was probably the wrong person in the wrong place at the wrong time.

The part that really stunk to me was the SFA waiting until he'd served his sentence before starting his ban which showed Jim Farry up for being the petty little man he was.    I don't normally hold with players refusing to play for their country but that was one case where I had every sympathy for Ferguson.

A decent summary. 👍

24 minutes ago, phart said:

I'd heard stories of him fighting in Grangemouth one night over 2 decades ago. He must have been fighting quite a bit, cause heard a few stories way back of him fighting.

Was he not originally from the Raploch?  

Probably a bit of a case of him being a target because of his profile and not taking a step back.

Apparently his dad was a bit of a hard nut.  I heard recently that at Dunde Utd he got away with a lot that the other apprentices didn't because Jim McLean was shit scared of his old man.

5 minutes ago, aaid said:

Probably a bit of a case of him being a target because of his profile and not taking a step back.

Apparently his dad was a bit of a hard nut.  I heard recently that at Dunde Utd he got away with a lot that the other apprentices didn't because Jim McLean was shit scared of his old man.

The Grangemouth story is him being drunk and trying to pull but ended up annoying folk as it was their partners etc. It wasn't like he got a hammering but he was heavily outnumbered and got told to go away before he got really hurt.

He wasn't timid. Mind the joke would be he would sit in the dark waiting on folk to rob him.

He's a big guy as well, there's a reason for weight classes.

1 hour ago, aaid said:

Cannae really see that Jim McLean story being true like. One person you NEVER messed with was Jim McLean.

A raging, hammer carrying* Wee Jim would be more than a match for any Raploch radge. 

*mind that story on here? 🙈

5 minutes ago, McTeeko said:

Cannae really see that Jim McLean story being true like. One person you NEVER messed with was Jim McLean.

A raging, hammer carrying* Wee Jim would be more than a match for any Raploch radge. 

Briefly recall it. 

Wasnt it about him going for a bbc reporter or something?

Aside from chinning a few randoms, deserved or otherwise, I found Ferguson to be one of the most honest and genuine guys I have ever met in the years Ive followed football. A tough upbringing and a hard guy but I suspect he would put his neck on the line for any of his friends and family. 

32 minutes ago, McTeeko said:

It's here - Andy McLaren talking about Duncan Ferguson when they were at Dundee United as apprentices.

12 minutes ago, aaid said:

It's here - Andy McLaren talking about Duncan Ferguson when they were at Dundee United as apprentices.

That was a great wee listen there 👍🏼

McLaren comes across just like one of your mates.

Edited by McTeeko

On 2/24/2019 at 4:08 AM, JECK said:

Slightly off topic by id agree we affectively lost a top class striker. Euro 96 might have been a different story altogether if we had him playing, especially at Wembley.  He could dominate anyone that England could have chosen from at that tournament on his day. Guys like Tony Adams etc.  Did have a shocking run with injuries aswell though.

he was utter pish for Scotland ; unfortunately and lived off the overhead kick v germany that hit the bar in a friendly

there was so much promise around that time with him , and next potential Daglish (as some papers spouted) in Enigma Jess

i really liked Ferguson , and saw him in the 'raw' v Germany u-21s at Pittodrie at likely one of the most exciting games i've been at , am not sure what happened in the transition to full national side , but i recall him not being up to much in game away to Austria, and the Estonia replay in Monaco

am pretty sure Adams would have had him in his back pocket

8 hours ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

he was utter pish for Scotland ; unfortunately and lived off the overhead kick v germany that hit the bar in a friendly

there was so much promise around that time with him , and next potential Daglish (as some papers spouted) in Enigma Jess

i really liked Ferguson , and saw him in the 'raw' v Germany u-21s at Pittodrie at likely one of the most exciting games i've been at , am not sure what happened in the transition to full national side , but i recall him not being up to much in game away to Austria, and the Estonia replay in Monaco

am pretty sure Adams would have had him in his back pocket

TBF - and I was at both games you mentioned - I think the problem was that on the few occasions he played for Scotland, the team just hoofed the ball up to him as a big target man, which despite his height wasn't really playing to his strengths at all. 

41 minutes ago, aaid said:

TBF - and I was at both games you mentioned - I think the problem was that on the few occasions he played for Scotland, the team just hoofed the ball up to him as a big target man, which despite his height wasn't really playing to his strengths at all. 

Also a reason why it didn't really work out for him at Rangers (among other things).  I think he was seen as the natural successor to Hateley when he wasn't they same type of player at all (at that time anyway). 

On 2/24/2019 at 10:30 AM, dan cake said:

A deliberate head butt is an assault on or off the pitch, without the previous convictions he wouldn’t have  been jailed. Duncan Ferguson isn’t the victim here

Go and have a look at the 'headbutt' again...and then tell me how many other players over the years, could have been charged by the authorities for doing the exact same thing.

The whole thing was an absolute farce, and as someone else stated, robbed us of a top-class striker.