Duncan Ferguson - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Duncan Ferguson

2 minutes ago, Jim Beem said:

No. he was at United at the time for at least one. Lamped someone in Stirling in a taxi queue in the wee hours.

Sure the other also involved bevvy, and a nightclub if I recall. 

Haha right enough, lucky he wasn’t jailed already then. 

What was public opinion and within the game when he got jailed? Hard to imagine now someone getting jailed for what happens on the pitch, even if he had previous outside the game 

2 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Haha right enough, lucky he wasn’t jailed already then. 

What was public opinion and within the game when he got jailed? Hard to imagine now someone getting jailed for what happens on the pitch, even if he had previous outside the game 

Even when he signed and player for Rangers I always liked Ferguson, a top bloke albeit a wee bit unhinged. It was and still is an absolute disgrace he was jailed on the back of that, frankly, rather mild head butt. I also think it lead to us being deprived of a top striker for Scotland for a good few years. 

1 minute ago, Jim Beem said:

Even when he signed and player for Rangers I always liked Ferguson, a top bloke albeit a wee bit unhinged. It was and still is an absolute disgrace he was jailed on the back of that, frankly, rather mild head butt. I also think it lead to us being deprived of a top striker for Scotland for a good few years. 

Yeah I’d agree with that, seems like Ferguson was made an example of. 

6 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Yeah I’d agree with that, seems like Ferguson was made an example of. 

Guilty of 3 assaults (one against a man on crutches) a drunk driving conviction plus a breech of the peace, should he have been spared jail just because he was good at kicking a ball around?

3 minutes ago, dan cake said:

Guilty of 3 assaults (one against a man on crutches) a drunk driving conviction plus a breech of the peace, should he have been spared jail just because he was good at kicking a ball around?

Of course not, sounds like he should have been jailed before that match, but not sure assaults on a football pitch should be a thing in the heat of a match. 

4 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Of course not, sounds like he should have been jailed before that match, but not sure assaults on a football pitch should be a thing in the heat of a match. 

A deliberate head butt is an assault on or off the pitch, without the previous convictions he wouldn’t have  been jailed. Duncan Ferguson isn’t the victim here

Just now, dan cake said:

A deliberate head butt is an assault on or off the pitch, without the previous convictions he wouldn’t have  been jailed. Duncan Ferguson isn’t the victim here

Not saying he’s a victim but others have did similar and not been jailed. Perhaps the previous convictions were the difference. 

3 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

What year was this again? Just trying to think of other examples of assault on a football pitch with Cantona being the obvious one and Evra a year or two ago seem to be a lot worse than that one. 

Think it was 94. 

Zidane probably the most high profile. 

2 hours ago, Jim Beem said:

Slightly off topic by id agree we affectively lost a top class striker. Euro 96 might have been a different story altogether if we had him playing, especially at Wembley.  He could dominate anyone that England could have chosen from at that tournament on his day. Guys like Tony Adams etc.  Did have a shocking run with injuries aswell though.