New player in squad - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

New player in squad

jaggy thistle

7 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Maybe he knocked us back as he feels English and has more integrity than to tart himself out just to play international football?

Yes he doesn't feel Scottish enough to want to play for us and I am sure the majority of Scotland supporters don't want him to play for us given that is how he feels. Lets move on from this.

4 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

England will call him up and play him  if he carries on like this I would expect a £30-40 million move in the summer.

I doubt if any one see's Scotland as anything other than a boarded up shop window at the moment.

I'd disagree. I don't see him being bought for that kind of money - mind you transfer fees have gone crazy but if he does go to EPL club it will be to the likes of Southampton or some club of that ilk.

I'd disagree with your second point too. He has opted not to play for us as he does not want to because he evidently does not feel Scottish which is fair enough.

19 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I'd disagree. I don't see him being bought for that kind of money - mind you transfer fees have gone crazy but if he does go to EPL club it will be to the likes of Southampton or some club of that ilk.

I'd disagree with your second point too. He has opted not to play for us as he does not want to because he evidently does not feel Scottish which is fair enough.

Not sure I made the second point clear. You are right he chose England because he is English. What I was saying was that a decent player playing for us is hardly improving his profile much.

If he continues to average a goal a game in the champion ship, which is pretty much what he has done since early November, he will be worth a fair bit more than Southampton can afford.

1 minute ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Not sure I made the second point clear. You are right he chose England because he is English. What I was saying was that a decent player playing for us is hardly improving his profile much.

If he continues to average a goal a game in the champion ship, which is pretty much what he has done since early November, he will be worth a fair bit more than Southampton can afford.

But do you know what? Neither will playing no international football improve his profile. I don't see him playing for England. And lets keep thing in perspective - his strike rate is not jaw-dropping stuff in fact the afore-mentioned Marc McNulty has a better strike-rate. As for his EPL aspirations it will be a club such as Southampton he ends up at so I think we can safely say it won't be a £40 million pound price tag he goes for.

3 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

But do you know what? Neither will playing no international football improve his profile. I don't see him playing for England. And lets keep thing in perspective - his strike rate is not jaw-dropping stuff in fact the afore-mentioned Marc McNulty has a better strike-rate. As for his EPL aspirations it will be a club such as Southampton he ends up at so I think we can safely say it won't be a £40 million pound price tag he goes for.

He's only 22 and has scored 16 goals in his last 17 championship games. I know you aren't making a serious comparison with Marc Mcnulty, but he couldn't even get a regular start for relegation candidates Reading.

He'll probably go back to being just a decent player after this freakish run, all I have said was that if it continues he could be anything. Lets wait and see, any way as you said earlier let's move on from this, he's English

12 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

He's only 22 and has scored 16 goals in his last 17 championship games. I know you aren't making a serious comparison with Marc Mcnulty, but he couldn't even get a regular start for relegation candidates Reading.

He'll probably go back to being just a decent player after this freakish run, all I have said was that if it continues he could be anything. Lets wait and see, any way as you said earlier let's move on from this, he's English

If he was seen as being anything ulta-special then why has he only had two England U-20 caps and they came three years ago. There are many more England youngsters ahead of him in the pecking order and he is approaching 23 so he's no longer a young kid on the block. England have youngsters who have full caps ahead of him in the pecking order and youngsters playing in the EPL ahead of him.

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

If he was seen as being anything ulta-special then why has he only had two England U-20 caps and they came three years ago. There are many more England youngsters ahead of him in the pecking order and he is approaching 23 so he's no longer a young kid on the block. England have youngsters who have full caps ahead of him in the pecking order and youngsters playing in the EPL ahead of him.

That's very often my argument about players but he seems to have gone from zero to hero  in a matter of months.

Lets drag the thread up in August and one of us can say "I told you so":hug:

1 minute ago, ceudmilefailte said:

That's very often my argument about players but he seems to have gone from zero to hero  in a matter of months.

Lets drag the thread up in August and one of us can say "I told you so":hug:

At the end of the day though does it matter who of us is right or wrong? He is not interested in playing for Scotland and rightly so too as he was born in England and lived there all of his life. Scotland fans (and manager) need to close this book and move on.

26 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

At the end of the day though does it matter who of us is right or wrong? He is not interested in playing for Scotland and rightly so too as he was born in England and lived there all of his life. Scotland fans (and manager) need to close this book and move on.

Give him a few years ....

17 hours ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Better with Marc McNulty

I had mentioned him in another threat as a player to watch before the season had started, and was following him at Reading where it clearly was not working, then I read his name a few weeks ago in the Jan transfer news. His form is excellent and if he continues both him and Oli Burke could be vying for the same spot. Oli at least has a few other capable to his name, strengthening his chances, and I'll be honest I don't know much about McNulty's style.