An experiment in realizm - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

An experiment in realizm

Chripper

I think the people who are spouting optimism and saying things like "turning a corner" or "light at the end of the tunnel" should come back to earth.

There's a common fallacy within Scotland fans is that we are strong in midfield. The list of midfielders in the OP should be used as a stark reminder that we don't have one midfielder who could hold their own playing against a top team. We saw what happened to Christie, McGregor (and Brown was even worse) against Valencia. All they did in the entire match was collect the ball, look forward, go into their shell and pass backwards/sideways. 

We have one player who is fighting to win a big trophy (Robertson). That's it. 

None of our keepers play in a top league. Our defenders don't play at a very good level, therefore, they aren't used to playing top strikers. Our current lot of midfielders are powederpuff who aren't technically good enough to dominate a midfield and our strikers aren't streetwise.  

All In all, I know that people are looking for positives. Truth is, there are none. People are trying to grasp at anything and everything, even if it's citing beating Albania and Israel, but the truth is that there is no light at the end of the tunnel. 

We aren't producing players who can go toe-to-toe with the best players in the world and the longer that's an issue the longer we'll continue to fail. 

Is it all doom and gloom? 

Yes. 

And what are the powers-that-be doing to arrest this state of emergency? Discussing creating a new league. Of course! That'll help! We currently have four leagues where the vast majority of the players need an average of 10 touches to properly control a football, we have 42 teams where there's being coached to lump the ball into the box at every single available opportunity and instead of working with footballs they're taught to navigate hills. Yes, who needs technical players when we have players who have run up an down a hill.

Another league of players who aren't being coached and 10 more teams where they play football akin to Rugby will certainly pull out of this mire.

This IS a state of emergency! Truth is, we've never been lower and what we're dealing with here is a bottomless pit. There is bottom. We're discussing an endless stream of average players. We're talking about a core of players who will probably get thrashed 5:0 by Valencia later on this evening. We're talking about footballers who are no fit to lace the boots of the Scotland players who once graced the shirts.

We're talking about McDonald and Shinnie and Fletcher, etc, when Scotland fans of the past used to talk about Dalglish and Law and Souness. I'm embarrassed for us. I'm embarrassed that we're at the level where we're discussing average players who have had average careers and we're talking about them as Scotland players.

Scottish football needs a complete root and branch overhaul. We need performance schools. hundreds of them. We need to bring in coaches that coach progressive football. We need a blueprint for hour teams should play. We need a blueprint for how hour youngsters should be taught how to play.

Even if it means putting Scottish football on a hiatus of a year then so be it. Scottish football has to reboot.

This is a state of emergency for Scottish football and I for one cannot see anyone inside Scottish football who has the appetite for change.

Edited by Chripper

2 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

This site needs admins.

Why don't you reply to the optimism thread and challenge debate and discuss? That's one reason this site exists. 

So, an optimist thread can exist but not a realism one in order to balance it out?

I don't think so.

1 minute ago, Chripper said:

So, an optimist thread can exist but not a realism one in order to balance it out?

I don't think so.

Nope, you disagree with the fella, go engage in the discussion, otherwise both threads become echo chambers, this site exhibits a low enagement forum, our numbers cease and we are threatened with a loss of site again.

2 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

Nope, you disagree with the fella, go engage in the discussion, otherwise both threads become echo chambers, this site exhibits a low enagement forum, our numbers cease and we are threatened with a loss of site again.

My post isn't as much a discussion point as it is a sticky.

I'm not really wanting people to reply and discuss my points, as all I've written is indisputable fact.

And I think this place will being to survive a couple of countering threads.

I love the way people keep saying when we were good. When was this we have never made it past the 1st round of a tournament and now we can’t get past a playoff to make a tournament. It is harder to qualify now than it was years ago. I don’t think our standard has got a lot worse (yes a little bit) it’s just more teams for less places in the World Cup and stupid results in a couple of away games. 

1 hour ago, stitch said:

I love the way people keep saying when we were good. When was this we have never made it past the 1st round of a tournament and now we can’t get past a playoff to make a tournament. It is harder to qualify now than it was years ago. I don’t think our standard has got a lot worse (yes a little bit) it’s just more teams for less places in the World Cup and stupid results in a couple of away games. 

We were pretty good in 1977. It's been pretty much downhill since then, IMO.

1 hour ago, stitch said:

Sorry but it used to be 8 teams in the latter stages and we used to be in contention to do that, now we cant event get to a 24 team euros finals and I still wouldn't make us much better than even money to do so this time. As for stupid results we get as many as go against us.

In the olden days the Scottish first division was a top European league consisting solely of Scotsmen, bar Peter Latchford and some guy from Iceland. All the decent Scottish players not there were playing in the English first division.

33 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

because he wouldn't the attention he craves 👍

I've been here a few months and you still haven't worked me out?

Why do I crave attention? I'm one of the minority in today's world who has no social media footprint. If I craved attention then I'd be like everyone else and be on some sort of social media platform. 

When I post here I post my opinion. Do I want to draw replies? No. I would be happy if none of my threads drew a single reply. Why? Because I have a compulsion to always get the last word.

So yes, you aren't much of a therapist.

32 minutes ago, Chripper said:

I've been here a few months and you still haven't worked me out?

Why do I crave attention? I'm one of the minority in today's world who has no social media footprint. If I craved attention then I'd be like everyone else and be on some sort of social media platform. 

When I post here I post my opinion. Do I want to draw replies? No. I would be happy if none of my threads drew a single reply. Why? Because I have a compulsion to always get the last word.

So yes, you aren't much of a therapist.

I'm not trying to work you out, you've just written another long winded post whilst saying fuck all

41 minutes ago, Chripper said:

Cite anything about my OP that's incorrect.

I left out the idea that there should be a three foreigner domestic rule.

Or maybe you're one of the fantasy land bunch who think everything is rosy because we beat Israel and Albania.

So you've missed the irony of coming on a discussion forum to post something saying you "dont want people to reply and discuss my points"?

I think you might be in the wrong place, pal! 🤣

5 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Sorry but it used to be 8 teams in the latter stages and we used to be in contention to do that, now we cant event get to a 24 team euros finals and I still wouldn't make us much better than even money to do so this time. As for stupid results we get as many as go against us.

In the olden days the Scottish first division was a top European league consisting solely of Scotsmen, bar Peter Latchford and some guy from Iceland. All the decent Scottish players not there were playing in the English first division.

Not entirely true, there were a few foreign players here during the sixties and seventies.

Aberdeen - Henning Boel (Danish), Jens Petersen (Danish) & Zoltán Varga (Hungarian)

Dunfermline - Bent Martin (Danish)

Hearts - Roald Jensen (Norwegian) & René Møller (Danish).

Hibs - John Madsen (Danish)

Rangers - Kai Johansen (Danish), Gerhardt Neef (German) & Örjan Persson (Swedish) 

4 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

I'm not trying to work you out, you've just written another long winded post whilst saying fuck all

No. You stated that I'm "craving attention", when in actuality it's the opposite.

That's pound-store lazy pop-psychology if ever I heard it.

4 hours ago, andyD said:

I think you might be in the wrong place, pal! 🤣

Nah. I'm in the right place. :)

3 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Not entirely true, there were a few foreign players here during the sixties and seventies.

Aberdeen - Henning Boel (Danish), Jens Petersen (Danish) & Zoltán Varga (Hungarian)

Dunfermline - Bent Martin (Danish)

Hearts - Roald Jensen (Norwegian) & René Møller (Danish).

Hibs - John Madsen (Danish)

Rangers - Kai Johansen (Danish), Gerhardt Neef (German) & Örjan Persson (Swedish) 

Good knowledge.

Personally I'd love for it to go back to such a state where overseas players are the exception, not the rule.

A three foreigner rule would at least force the hands of the Scottish clubs to put effort into producing good players.

5 hours ago, Chripper said:

Cite anything about my OP that's incorrect.

I left out the idea that there should be a three foreigner domestic rule.

Or maybe you're one of the fantasy land bunch who think everything is rosy because we beat Israel and Albania.

This bit - "Truth is, we've never been lower."  We certainly have, back in the Berti Vogts days {{{shudder}}}.  Sadly, everything else is pretty much spot on.  :(  We do have promising youngsters coming through, or at least trying to only to find their path to regular games blocked by players whose names end in "O" and are therefore deemed to be better, or by some journeyman sh*te from the lower leagues in England.

5 hours ago, daviebee said:

This bit - "Truth is, we've never been lower."  We certainly have, back in the Berti Vogts days {{{shudder}}}.  Sadly, everything else is pretty much spot on.  :(  We do have promising youngsters coming through, or at least trying to only to find their path to regular games blocked by players whose names end in "O" and are therefore deemed to be better, or by some journeyman sh*te from the lower leagues in England.

Actually, I'd agree with that. Steven Caldwell and Kevin Kyle still makes me tremble.

10 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

A little tip?

If you're going to have the audacity of having a go at me then stick to your convictions rather than duck out midway through, as It makes you look weak. You say that I want attention and then you say that you don't want to work me out. Stick to your convictions. 

32 minutes ago, Chripper said:

A little tip?

If you're going to have the audacity of having a go at me then stick to your convictions rather than duck out midway through, as It makes you look weak. You say that I want attention and then you say that you don't want to work me out. Stick to your convictions. 

Yet another load of condescending nonsense. 

Who's ducking out? You're clearly an attention craving and argumentative prick, you're proving it with every post.you make 

12 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Classic Chripper.

Name and shame yourself if you actually bothered to read what he wrote.

The guys is bat shit nuts 

My favourite so far is when he said I'm not much of a therapist, that's a new insult on me. He's also replied to one of my posts twice, I fear for his mental health if he's taking the TAMB this seriously