Britain/Ireland Dialect test - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Britain/Ireland Dialect test

21 minutes ago, exile said:

Answer questions about how you say things, and it can guess where you're from!

Covers dialects all over Britain and Ireland 

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/02/15/upshot/british-irish-dialect-quiz.html

It works great (or, pure dead brilliant, depending where you're from!)

The question I found most interesting was something about 'taking a break from a game or similair' and they listed 'barley' as an option. It was the term that was used when I was a child, ie when peeps got called in for dinner the game would be temporarily stopped by shouting 'caw it barley (borley)'. Was this a common expression?

34 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

Never heard of barley.   The map immediately after answering that would have given the locale.

Can't remember if it let you add pished for yourself.   I added a couple of my own.   Does nobody else joogle their wulkies?

We tumilt oor wulkies. 

2 hours ago, DoonTheSlope said:

I gave up as they didn’t have pished as a word for being drunk 

I'm pretty sure it's there. I tried the test again on a different computer. I think the questions are in a different order but the answers are the same choices, but presented in a different order. Pished was there! 

You can also add your own suggestions,  and in some cases can skip without answering.

Some of the questions, you have to answer a definite answer though - like tea, dinner or supper. 

Edited by exile

5 hours ago, Orraloon said:

In which part of the UK can "put" possibly rhyme with "but"?

Can't believe "rubbered" wasn't in there.

Geordie.

Paul Gascoigne  ‘ boot me laud, it wisna mi !  ah put me fishin road and me chikin in me bag. 

Ok ok I need to work on my accents , boot can ye see what i mean ? 

7 hours ago, Orraloon said:

In which part of the UK can "put" possibly rhyme with "but"?

Can't believe "rubbered" wasn't in there.

I think Lancashire, they say but like put.

One I liked was when it says do you pronounce a word with an 'a' as in apple or as in father? Like (a) apple (b) father, (c) WTF, the a in apple and father is the same FFS! 

I think they missed 'blootered' 

6 minutes ago, exile said:

I think Lancashire, they say but like put.

One I liked was when it says do you pronounce a word with an 'a' as in apple or as in father? Like (a) apple (b) father, (c) WTF, the a in apple and father is the same FFS! 

I think they missed 'blootered' 

Posh folk say fother , not father. And they would say Epple not Apple or Opple. 

My grampa would have said "faither", but would also have said "aipple", so they were still the same.

Come to think of it, my mum laughed at me when I was wee for referring to my Scots gran and my English gran.   One side spoke Scots and the other English with a Scots accent.   Turns out the latter were largely of Ulster-Scots descent (i.e. they came back here in 1800s) and my theory is they dropped their Irish and ended up speaking their version of received English.   Even doon the mines.

Or else that gran was just pan loaf 😄

7 hours ago, glasgow jock said:

My Parents always used to say "ben the room" "ben next door"  etc etc, don't here it anymore, don't know it's origins or if it was just a Glasgow / West Of Scotland thing ??

My mum was born and bred in Fife and she used to say “Ben the scullery”.  I  occasionally use it just to get a Wtf look from my kids.