New Laptop - advice - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

New Laptop - advice

I have a Microsoft Surface Pro at work and it's superb and would probably look this way if I was replacing a personal laptop now. I think the newer ones would make a bit of a dent in the wallet but all depends on what you need it for and willing to spend I guess. 

7 minutes ago, McDange said:

I have a Microsoft Surface Pro at work and it's superb and would probably look this way if I was replacing a personal laptop now. I think the newer ones would make a bit of a dent in the wallet but all depends on what you need it for and willing to spend I guess. 

Thanks fella, I had a Microsoft Surface, the first one, and it wasn't a good experience (and then my colleague dropped it). Tablet's speed just don't seem to last long, I've got a Lenovo tablet and it was good but now it's a nightmare to get to do anything! was thinking of looking to get something like:

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/dell-inspiron-15-5000-15-6-intel-pentium-gold-laptop-1-tb-hdd-black-10169754-pdt.html

I am like you, and tended to avoid Apple stuff. I've tried a couple out and they are excellent machines but a wee bit expensive. I got totally pissed off with Windows 10 and the constant updates which sometimes take for hours to complete. In the meantime you can do nothing with your computer.

So I tried out a Chromebook to see what they are like. It's great, turns on really fast, you still get OS updates but they happen in the background and you don't even notice them happening. I don't think I will ever buy a Microsoft product again.

3 hours ago, Orraloon said:

I am like you, and tended to avoid Apple stuff. I've tried a couple out and they are excellent machines but a wee bit expensive. I got totally pissed off with Windows 10 and the constant updates which sometimes take for hours to complete. In the meantime you can do nothing with your computer.

So I tried out a Chromebook to see what they are like. It's great, turns on really fast, you still get OS updates but they happen in the background and you don't even notice them happening. I don't think I will ever buy a Microsoft product again.

Can you use MS Office on it?

32 minutes ago, kumnio said:

Ive been thinking about getting a macbook pro, looking at around £1500, are they worth the money?

I think you can get them a bit cheaper if you don't go for the "touchbar" option, which IMO is just an overpriced gimmicky thing.

As for value for money, I think it depends on what you are going to use it for. That's one of the ones I tried out and it does seem like a fantastic bit of kit but I would imagine that most folk who have one, don't use a fraction of its' capabilities? 

I delved into the world of apple a few years ago, went for it with a nice big shiny 27 inch iMac. The HD went after about two and a half years and luckily while in he service they spotted the screen was failing so got that for free. When I got it back the optical drive no longer worked. Personally I find their software really quite annoying. Their office software stuff  I gave up on quite quickly. The built in hardware obsolescence is horrendous in my view considering it is all meant to be high end gear. This is a company due a massive wake up call. Prices of their latest phones says it all.  I am typing this on their latest but cheapest iPad however.