Declan Rice - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

1 hour ago, ParisInAKilt said:

I think most football fans will be of the opinion it shouldn't be allowed.  He's played three friendlies for them.  Rice says he has equal respect for England and Ireland, I don't think he's shown a lot of respect for the latter.

1 hour ago, Hertsscot said:

I think most football fans will be of the opinion it shouldn't be allowed.  He's played three friendlies for them.  Rice says he has equal respect for England and Ireland, I don't think he's shown a lot of respect for the latter.

Aye but I’ve also zero sympathy for Ireland, that’s the game you play when you’re targeting other countries players. 

9 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

An “Irish” player showing his allegiances to a better and more successful side. The same way that all the Irish support English teams 

9 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

An “Irish” player showing his allegiances to a better and more successful side. The same way that all the Irish support English teams 

Really? all the irish ? bit of a generalisation

10 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Aye but I’ve also zero sympathy for Ireland, that’s the game you play when you’re targeting other countries players. 

The guy played right through the Irish youth system and then played for them three times. turning your back on a country that had a hand in your development is out of order. If he'd not played for either country at all I would almost understand his decision but did he all of a sudden think he was english after playing so many games at different levels for Ireland? I think he's exploited the rule for his own career.

4 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

The guy played right through the Irish youth system and then played for them three times. turning your back on a country that had a hand in your development is out of order. If he'd not played for either country at all I would almost understand his decision but did he all of a sudden think he was english after playing so many games at different levels for Ireland? I think he's exploited the rule for his own career.

Of course he’s exploited the rule but that’s the risk Ireland take when they go after players who are born in England to English parents. 

On 2/14/2019 at 7:58 AM, Fairbairn said:

I'd assume the lad has had assurances from Southgate that he'll get selected at some point before making this decision.  That being said I'll pish myself if he never receives a call up!

Would also find it highly amusing if he doesn’t get selected for England!

This is why we need to cap players in competitive games, even if we just bring them on in the dying seconds, if there’s any chance the could get poached by another nation (mainly England or Ireland). It’s a safeguard against Declan Rice-style bawbaggery.

1 hour ago, ParisInAKilt said:

England poaching their own player ..:

Can’t see it but hopefully a rule change comes from this. The lad Rice played 3 games for Ireland, I know it was only friendlies but that should be enough to tie you to a country.

I agree, well there's also the fact Ireland helped to develop him by using him through the youth levels.

On 2/15/2019 at 12:11 PM, The Black Bra said:

This is why we need to cap players in competitive games, even if we just bring them on in the dying seconds, if there’s any chance the could get poached by another nation (mainly England or Ireland). It’s a safeguard against Declan Rice-style bawbaggery.

I don’t want players that don’t want to play for Scotland, so wouldn’t be going out my way to tie them to us against their will...

On 2/16/2019 at 10:55 AM, philip_OATN said:

For those who say that Ireland "developed" him...hasn't he always played in England since he first kicked a ball at the age of 3?

What i said was Ireland helped develop him, don't think anyone said it was all down to Ireland