Safe Standing - Page 3 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Guest faircity

The reason folk are going for plastic is because fat cunts like Boyd "running" around on grass results in yer park being left looking like it hosted the World Ploughing Championships. 

it's just over five years since the chairman became the majority shareholder at Rugby Park and he still has big ambitions as he plans to build new facilities

BILLY BOWIE has transformed Kilmarnock’s fortunes since moving it to the boardroom but insists he’s not done yet.

It’s just over five years since Bowie switched from being a club sponsor to majority shareholder and the club have been on the up ever since.  Killie are currently riding high in the top six and face Rangers at Ibrox in their Scottish Cup replay, but Bowie still has big ambitions.

He told SunSport: “The club is on a stable footing.

“There is no bank debt at all but right now I feel we are only a third of the way through our journey at Kilmarnock.

“I want this club to be three times the size it is, whether that’s monetary or in other ways. We have to build on the success.

We want to have more things happening to be a serious player in Scottish football.

“We have ideas to move forward and we will be building facilities on the area next to the stadium.

“We own that land and there are plans to build new training pitches and a fan zone will be introduced. There is a lot we want to achieve.

“We want to fill Rugby Park again and we will work away at doing that.

“I think back to one of my first games when I got involved five years ago.

"We played Celtic and we hardly had any fans at Rugby Park. Look at it now. The whole place is buzzing.

“The average attendance of home fans has pretty much doubled in five years, and that’s a good indicator.”

Gaffer Steve Clarke has made Killie one of Scotland’s top teams and Bowie hailed his impact at Rugby Park as they chase an Ibrox Cup upset.

He added: “The manager has done an incredible job and will continue to do so.

“He has been everything we thought he would be — and more. The standard of football is fantastic.

“Steve’s a local guy and he understands the club and how important it is for the community. We’ve a great relationship.

“I had a few things on at the stadium on Monday morning and we had a quick catch-up.

“We sat and spoke about a few things. It was nothing formal but it’s good to have that kind of relationship.”

Killie’s astroturf pitch continues to take stick across Scottish football, with a PFA Scotland poll calling for them to be banned.

But business tycoon Bowie, who wants to build a new training facility in East Ayrshire down the line, has no plans to rip it up.

He said: “The astroturf pitch gets criticised and that annoys me a bit. When I first came in here, there was tumbleweed around the stadium.

The team trained in Glasgow and there was no need for anyone to be here. We brought the team back to Kilmarnock and a lot of the players now stay around here.

“An astroturf pitch is the right thing for the club and community right now. Every decision we make is based on what is best for Kilmarnock Football Club.

“The first team always has priority, but all our teams use the pitch. It is for the entire club.”

Bowie will relay his Kilmarnock story at the Via Sponsorship sports event at Strathclyde Uni on March 5 and 6 — and has never regretted taking over in 2014.

He said: “I’m a local boy and I’ve sponsored Kilmarnock from 1997. As a town, Kilmarnock has gone through a hard time and we couldn’t risk losing the football club.

“When I got more involved, it was just a case of me saying, ‘What can I do to help?’ Next thing you know, you are pulled in. I couldn’t back away from it.

“With the support of a major sponsor like QTS, I was given the courage to go and do more.

“You start to see progress and light at the end of the tunnel. When the good days come and you have fun watching the team, it’s worth all the work.”

On 2/14/2019 at 6:19 PM, Rolling hIlls said:

My comment was about Kilmarnock trust spending money on the side of the park rather than on it.  Entirely relevant.  Good luck tonite big man 👍

Rangers. A fan base that wouldn't even put their hands into their pockets to save their own club from dying, criticising supporters of other teams that actually do put time and money into making their club better. What a laugh. Enjoy administration when it comes.

4 hours ago, Morrisandmoo said:

Thank you for contributing to the plastic pitch debate. Unfortunately all your opinions are irrelevant. Billy Bowie decides. 

As for safe standing, brilliant to see a group of supporters putting their time and money into making a difference to the club. 

Billy Bowie won't decide.  Scottish Football authorities will decide.  Like every other country who's top flight has banned plastic pitches kid.  

Rangers. A fan base that wouldn't even put their hands into their pockets to save their own club from dying, criticising supporters of other teams that actually do put time and money into making their club better. What a laugh. Enjoy administration when it comes.

Keep dreaming x

On your sense of history.  Who was it that saved Ra Cellic from dying?

14 hours ago, Rolling hIlls said:

On your sense of history.  Who was it that saved Ra Cellic from dying?

Their fans forced change before they went tits up as they had the foresight to see that the board was killing the club.

Rangers fans lorded up David Murray spending money that was never there, then lapped up Craig Whyte with his salesmans pitch.

They even bought into Chuck Greens pish for god sake!

2 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Their fans forced change before they went tits up as they had the foresight to see that the board was killing the club.

Rangers fans lorded up David Murray spending money that was never there, then lapped up Craig Whyte with his salesmans pitch.

That's not very fair. Who wouldn't have faith in a guy like this?

58 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I will just tell it straight will I?  Fergus McCann saved Celtic at the last minute.  No Celtic fan or fans could have.  Fergus did it.  If I am wrong I am wrong but that's not what the facts say.  Sorry to be the bearer of facts to you.

46 minutes ago, Tartan_McCole said:

Correct. You know you don't have much of a point when you've got to make up facts to back it up.

No plastic parks in most top flight countries with a decent standard of football.  Germany, Italy, England, France blah ablah blah.  Even Holland are ripping up the few that are there.  Is that enough factual information for you.  The Scottish players union, vast majority of current and ex-players blah blah blah blah.  An extra blah in there.  You are pishing against the wind on this one and only, naturally defending your team.  But the tide is against you.  'Plastic pitches are pish'  Gordon Strachan Feb 2019.   

15 minutes ago, Rolling hIlls said:

No plastic parks in most top flight countries with a decent standard of football.  Germany, Italy, England, France blah ablah blah.  Even Holland are ripping up the few that are there.  Is that enough factual information for you. 

Not really. That's not really how facts work. You said every other country has banned plastic pitches. You haven't said or shown anything that backs that up.

Edited by Tartan_McCole

2 minutes ago, Tartan_McCole said:

Not really. That's not really how facts work. You said every other country has banned plastic pitches. You haven't said or shown anything that backs that up.

I meant every top country.  You know what I meant.  You agree with plastic parks for top flight football in Scotland?  I realise supporters of these teams who do have them need to justify them in any way (community club etc).  And Kris Boyd can't go against his employers so will make up anything.  But come on.  The footballing world in the UK, fans, players and managers hate them.  Surely you cannot deny that?

14 minutes ago, Rolling hIlls said:

I meant every top country.  You know what I meant.  You agree with plastic parks for top flight football in Scotland?  I realise supporters of these teams who do have them need to justify them in any way (community club etc).  And Kris Boyd can't go against his employers so will make up anything.  But come on.  The footballing world in the UK, fans, players and managers hate them.  Surely you cannot deny that?

Some players will think they're crap, whereas other players will prefer them to some of the cut up tattie fields in Scotland. Swings and roundabouts. There's no reason why, if they are in top condition, they can't be utilised with no issues in Scotland. A big issue seems to be that the ones in Scotland are crap.

Edited by Tartan_McCole

3 minutes ago, Tartan_McCole said:

Some players will think they're crap, whereas other players will prefer them to some of the cut up tattie fields in Scotland. Swings and roundabouts. There's no reason why, if they are in top condition, they can't be utilised with no issues in Scotland. A big issue seems to be that the ones in Scotland are crap.

If grass parks are looked after properly they are the best imo.  Look at Fir Park.  That was a ploughed field a few years back.  Look at it now with a bit of work and maintenance.  Keep the plastic parks outside for training and for the community.  I am only talking about the top flight here as they are ones that can afford it.

2 hours ago, Rolling hIlls said:

I will just tell it straight will I?  Fergus McCann saved Celtic at the last minute.  No Celtic fan or fans could have.  Fergus did it.  If I am wrong I am wrong but that's not what the facts say.  Sorry to be the bearer of facts to you.

So Celts for Change never brought the board to it's knees, into an impossible position? McCann was brought in with Celtic men backing him. Guys who'd fought to force the Kelly's out.

I'm no fan of Celtic by any manner of means but they did a hell of a lot more to save their club than you lot ever did. You just point blank refused to believe there was a problem, calling those who called Whyte out as being "obsessed" and then did likewise with Chuckles.

I mind being at a Celtic Killie game, think there was 10k there with a couple of thousand Killie fans. Must have been almost the same amount of Celtic fans outside protesting as there were inside. That was the breaking point, few days later and McCann came in.