TV Licence fee - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

5 hours ago, dave the bankie said:

I have paid this fee ever since I have a Telly , but since the 2014 Ref and now Question Time Debacle at Motherwell , I have no faith in The BBC being impartial , I have cancelled my direct Debit , what is the consequences of this action 

There is a good forum if you search google. You will get a few letters then it will stop. Dont let anyone in your house and get your TV ariel in the loft.

Havent had a licence for 5 or 6 years now.

Have had a couple of letters asking me to update them if theres any change in circumstance, have also had a visit from one obnoxious cunt who tried to bully his way into my property, it resulted in me threatening to smack his puss if he stepped over the line, he stated he had a right to inspect, which is bollocks, these people are the scum of the earth. They just try to intimidate people into letting them in.

I will never pay the BBC, they are beneath contempt.

7 minutes ago, kumnio said:

Havent had a licence for 5 or 6 years now.

Have had a couple of letters asking me to update them if theres any change in circumstance, have also had a visit from one obnoxious cunt who tried to bully his way into my property, it resulted in me threatening to smack his puss if he stepped over the line, he stated he had a right to inspect, which is bollocks, these people are the scum of the earth. They just try to intimidate people into letting them in.

I will never pay the BBC, they are beneath contempt.

Unless he had a police warrant he’s not allowed entry. You should have let him enter then kicked his cunt in anyway

I politely explained that to him, he argued that that wasnt the case, he then stepped forward and I informed him that Id smack his puss if he stepped over the threshold. How many people would cave and let the bastards in though.

He even threatened to phone the police, I asked him to do so, and even offered my phone, the cunt knew he was wrong but just kept going.

4 hours ago, The White Ceelo said:

Forgot to mention, you are better registering online with the BBc telling them you have stopped paying because you no longer watch live tv, this way they wont necessarily send any one round. Make sure they cant see the TV from the street also.

But surely your TV could be used for gaming? My understanding is that it isn't the TV that's illegal, it's watching live programmes. 

Anyway, cancelled mine a couple of months ago. It took me a long time to bite the bullet, but it was worth it.

2 hours ago, Stapes said:

But surely your TV could be used for gaming? My understanding is that it isn't the TV that's illegal, it's watching live programmes. 

Anyway, cancelled mine a couple of months ago. It took me a long time to bite the bullet, but it was worth it.

DVDs, gaming, as long as its not live TV. If the see you are watching then potentially they could get a warrant. £1000 fine I think if they can prove it. I moved my Ariel to the loft so there are no visible signs of live TV. I mainly use IPTV anyway.

Guest faircity
8 hours ago, The White Ceelo said:

DVDs, gaming, as long as its not live TV. If the see you are watching then potentially they could get a warrant. £1000 fine I think if they can prove it. I moved my Ariel to the loft so there are no visible signs of live TV. I mainly use IPTV anyway.

I pretty much only use IPTV now, does this exempt you from paying a license? 

I hate subsidising the BBC. 

What I've never found an answer to, is if you have a Tv licence, can you use things like iplayer on your laptop....

if so you can use your laptop anywhere.... on a train or on the street...?

and can you then take your laptop to someone else's house... who has a TV but no licence? 

and then watch it there off the back of your laptop (possibly connected to their TV monitor?) 

1 minute ago, exile said:

What I've never found an answer to, is if you have a Tv licence, can you use things like iplayer on your laptop....

if so you can use your laptop anywhere.... on a train or on the street...?

and can you then take your laptop to someone else's house... who has a TV but no licence? 

and then watch it there off the back of your laptop (possibly connected to their TV monitor?) 

Still need a license 

42 minutes ago, kumnio said:

TV licence is for a property, not a person. If you watch live TV on your laptop elsewhere, youd need another licence for that address.

God know what youd need if you watched it on a train for example.

So this is my point. Where do you draw the line?

Say I live down the road from you, say I have a licence, you don't. I have my laptop I player linked to my home licence I log in saying yep, got a licence. Start watching sportscene. I have  a dongle picking up Internet independently, from neither property. If I leave my house to visit you, at what point does my legal use cease? 

Edited by exile

1 hour ago, exile said:

So this is my point. Where do you draw the line?

Say I live down the road from you, say I have a licence, you don't. I have my laptop I player linked to my home licence I log in saying yep, got a licence. Start watching sportscene. I have  a dongle picking up Internet independently, from neither property. If I leave my house to visit you, at what point does my legal use cease? 

I would imagine under this circumstance you would get away with it as you are controlling the device and you have a TV licence at home. I don't need a TV licence for my country pile ( caravan) if I have a licence at home (which I don't). IPTV is the same as it is broadcast live so yes you need a licence. No doubt they would have a real go if the caught you watching Sly sports live if you have no BBC licence, just don't let them in and don't just stop paying, you need to write them a letter or tell them online you no longer use your TV monitor to watch live TV, and make sure you have no visible ariel. Do this and I doubt you will get any hassle other than a few letters from them which you ignore. Research it,  more and more are doing it. I suspect soon it will be cancelled and we will go the Aussie route of charging for driving licences as there are more of these, again research it.

44 minutes ago, The White Ceelo said:

I would imagine under this circumstance you would get away with it as you are controlling the device and you have a TV licence at home. I don't need a TV licence for my country pile ( caravan) if I have a licence at home (which I don't). IPTV is the same as it is broadcast live so yes you need a licence. No doubt they would have a real go if the caught you watching Sly sports live if you have no BBC licence, just don't let them in and don't just stop paying, you need to write them a letter or tell them online you no longer use your TV monitor to watch live TV, and make sure you have no visible ariel. Do this and I doubt you will get any hassle other than a few letters from them which you ignore. Research it,  more and more are doing it. I suspect soon it will be cancelled and we will go the Aussie route of charging for driving licences as there are more of these, again research it.

If so, it just shows how messed up and out of date the idea of a TV licence is. 

3 hours ago, exile said:

If so, it just shows how messed up and out of date the idea of a TV licence is. 

Yip, but they would need to recoup the money from somewhere else hence the Driving licence, In Australia you pay for a licence each year for 3 years then you can get a silver licence which lasts 5 years then a gold which lasts 10 years, lose your licence on 12 points like us and you start again at the bottom. They also have a Black licence which is mega cash and gives you back 2 points for 12 months, lose it within 12 mths then it is an automatic 12mth ban. ( I know through experience)

What a cash spinner this would be in the UK

Edited by The White Ceelo