Dash Cams - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Don’t get the ones that record your speed as the police have a record of your speed if you’re ever stopped.

Halfords have a good selection and they fit it for about £30 front and rear. 

Go speak to them. 

Edited by antidote

I bought one of the 'mini' series a couple or so years back & it's pretty good. The picture is very clear & it has GPS built in so the app shows where you are on playback. Of course that means it's tracking your speed as well but if you want clear evidence should you have a big problem, you kind of need that.

Just buy a mirror phone mount thing that hold the phone. I caught a guy drive into the side of me in the second month. You need to have alot of memory and it's a pain in the hole if you have sat nav on your phone but my picture quality is better than any of the dash cams Ive seen.

5 hours ago, Rouf said:

Just buy a mirror phone mount thing that hold the phone. I caught a guy drive into the side of me in the second month. You need to have alot of memory and it's a pain in the hole if you have sat nav on your phone but my picture quality is better than any of the dash cams Ive seen.

You're right about the camera quality - I tried that myself but found it easier just to have the built-in one as I didn't have to keep deleting recordings. There might be better apps now I suppose, but I paid around £20 to have it hard-wired in & never give it a second thought unless I want to watch something back.

On a separate note, I think they can help make you a safer driver. There's a few times I've looked back at incidents where I was hacked off with another driver & realised that even in some part I've not driven by the book or I've potentially made a bad situation worse (e.g. accelerating when someone is dangerously overtaking for example to 'make a point').

• 3 years later...

never got round to it -

had to pay that 2019 off my own insurance - apparently it;s now acceptable to turn right on the outside of a roundabout according to girls insurance ...................

wife got bumped in April 22 as well - other girl denied it but cops in US attend any bump above $1000 and give report and blamed her

Anyway - Looking at Garmin Mini 2 - no GPS, so no speed tracking  

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/garmin-dash-cam-mini-2-black/6464382.p?skuId=6464382#tabbed-customerreviews

Don't get one that records sound.....I wouldn't, I shout a lot and my singing is shite.

Don't actually know anyone that has one. My dad's car came with one hard wired and he disconnected it, no idea why tbh.