An offended Scotland fan - Page 3 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

An offended Scotland fan

10 hours ago, dandydunn said:

I went from saying there’s nothing in it to you thinking I suggested females shouldn’t play football? You’re a bit fucking mental I think. I have absolutely no idea how you came to that conclusion. 

Anyway, fuck what they think, I’ve been denied access to my local curves gym on several applications, because I’m the wrong sex. They can’t have it both ways I’m afraid, some people want to seem all high and mighty standing up for women, but fail to see the flip side of things.

Btw, my wife agrees that I should be allowed access to said gym, but I can’t, sexism at its finest.

Give me a split arse in a fitba top and ripped jeans over one fully kitted up any day of the week  😍

It's not a conclusion, it's a question. The funny wee symbol at the end of the sentence is the clue. 

I don't know what you think, so I asked. 

19 minutes ago, phart said:

It's clearly provocative, look at everyone talking about it. So let's ditch that discredited line of thinking.

There's a clear difference in how the pictures are shot.

How people feel about that fact is up to them.

Could it be argued that everyone is talking about it because some can't understand why others have claimed it is provocative and not because it actually is provocative?  Could there be a clear difference in how the pictures are shot simply because they are aimed at different target markets?  

I've presented these observation in question form so as not to provoke anyone.

1 hour ago, RenfrewBlue said:

It's not a conclusion, it's a question. The funny wee symbol at the end of the sentence is the clue. 

I don't know what you think, so I asked. 

No, I don’t think that women shouldn’t play football, I still have no idea how you even thought that was what I suggested. 

12 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Guys tops are advertised by professional footballers or models posing as such. Pouts, ripped denims and wind blowing in a wind machine never feature. 

Why do this when advertising the woman's top unless you're a sexist twat that thinks that this is acceptable? 

Just because the guy raising the point has decided to go for a bit of fame off the back of it doesn't make his original point wrong. 

Spot on. 

2 hours ago, phart said:

It's clearly provocative, look at everyone talking about it. So let's ditch that discredited line of thinking.

There's a clear difference in how the pictures are shot.

How people feel about that fact is up to them.

We're talking about the weirdo complaining about it. Most normal people would have gave it a second thought, and certainly wouldn't feel provoked by it.

41 minutes ago, Scotland Ever More said:

We're talking about the weirdo complaining about it. Most normal people would have gave it a second thought, and certainly wouldn't feel provoked by it.

Correct.  There are adverts all over the world with beautiful women and men endorsing their products.  Because the lassie has a Scotland tap on.  Dearie me.

12 minutes ago, Shotts56 said:

The lassie is sitting with her legs wide open at 90 degrees.  If you think that's an acceptable way to sell a football top, then you're a complete zoomer.

Look at her jeans, she clearly has ventilation issues.  So just because of that she shouldn't be allowed to model the Scotland shirt?  Shame on you.....

The same website has a male model wearing camouflage trousers and a Tottenham Hotspur top.

I'm going to tweet my disgust that they are sending young boys the message that they have to join the army if they want to buy the top.

https://m.jdsports.co.uk/product/white-score-draw-tottenham-hotspur-91-home-shirt/045567/?istCompanyId=9c5cf6f7-3142-4f9f-be57-2fce9c67adfd&istItemId=xqpwqpiqlx&istBid=tztx&utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=socialpaid&utm_campaign=paid_WEEK49_BROADAUDIENCES&

Edited by Scotland Ever More

59 minutes ago, Rolling hIlls said:

Correct.  There are adverts all over the world with beautiful women and men endorsing their products.  Because the lassie has a Scotland tap on.  Dearie me.

Football tops are not high fashion or even any old shitey fashion. They are supposed to be sports tops. 

The models level of attractiveness is not the issue. It's the sexualising of a feckin sports top. 

Joking about it, as if there's no issue shows your lack of awareness. 

Admittedly you're not alone on this thread. 

You'd think the Glasgow City Council fair pay case just being in the news would help folk realise its not a joke anymore. 

3 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Football tops are not high fashion or even any old shitey fashion. They are supposed to be sports tops. 

The models level of attractiveness is not the issue. It's the sexualising of a feckin sports top. 

You'd think the Glasgow City Council fair pay case just being in the news would help folk realise its not a joke anymore. 

Shoes are supposed to be for your feet.  Adverts don't promote that.  I do agree actually that that particular advert for the girl in the Scotland top was ott.  Unless they had a deal with Levi's like the exploitation.....  Nah.  Argument is like a broken pencil.  Pointless.

5 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Who says they are "supposed to be sports tops"? 

What about people who don't play sports but what to wear them, are they just to be discriminated against instead?

"Hi Hamish, sorry you're in a wheelchair and can't play football, but there's no Scotland top for you because some arsehole on twitter is trying to get a ride, football players only I'm afraid"

13 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Not sure I agree with that.  I'm pretty sure a quick Google search would display countless pictures of guys modelling football tops in jeans or in "casual" situations.  If they only sold football tops to people who wore them for sporting purposes (participating) then numbers sold would probably drop to about a quarter.  Football tops definitely are a fashion item for some people.

18 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

That's not right. People wear sporting goods as fashion accessories all the time.  This advert may have been designed to appeal to a different market - lassies that like to wear sporting goods as fashion items with a pair of ripped jeans?  Maybe it's actually the other way round, maybe it's those who find the advert sexually provocative that need to have a word with themselves?  I just saw a lassie wearing a Scotland top.

8 minutes ago, SMcoolJ said:

That's not right. People wear sporting goods as fashion accessories all the time.  This advert may have been designed to appeal to a different market - lassies that like to wear sporting goods as fashion items with a pair of ripped jeans?  Maybe it's actually the other way round, maybe it's those who find the advert sexually provocative that need to have a word with themselves?  I just saw a lassie wearing a Scotland top.

Exactly. 

FWIW, as a woman, I think this complaint is a total overreaction. Football tops ARE worn as fashion items by women , you dont need to play womens football or be a blokish woman to wear a football top.  

I am pretty sure there are plenty previous adverts where the football top is being worn by a more ‘athletic ‘ ( for want of a better word) woman. Why should there not be a picture of a woman who  is wearing it as a fashion item .  Tbh I could complain the model they have replaced her with suggests all women who like football should have short hair and wear no make up.  

You would be as well sticking the top on a silhouette if we are going to moan about things like this.    

30 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

FWIW, as a woman, I think this complaint is a total overreaction. Football tops ARE worn as fashion items by women , you dont need to play womens football or be a blokish woman to wear a football top.  

I am pretty sure there are plenty previous adverts where the football top is being worn by a more ‘athletic ‘ ( for want of a better word) woman. Why should there not be a picture of a woman who  is wearing it as a fashion item .  Tbh I could complain the model they have replaced her with suggests all women who like football should have short hair and wear no make up.  

You would be as well sticking the top on a silhouette if we are going to moan about things like this.    

You forgot about the iron x

13 hours ago, SMcoolJ said:

I just saw a lassie wearing a Scotland top.

Yeah but there is clearly a difference in how the pictures were shot. Is anyone arguing this?

Now what reasons we ascribe for the difference differs. I have no idea why there is a difference , although i suspect that men buy football tops for females. More than females buy them for themselves.

It could be standard operating procedure/best practices when marketing to men woman and children.

I am just curious would people find it sexist if

(a) the same model with the same look was wearing a full football kit instead of the ripped jeans? 

(b) the same model in the same pose was advertising a casual top and ripped jeans?