Scotland Goals From Direct Free Kicks - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland Goals From Direct Free Kicks

ErsatzThistle

Just out of interest, can you name some great examples of Scotland goals scored from direct free kicks doon the years ?

Asides from Maloney vs. the Faroes in 2007 and vs. Macedonia in 2013 and Griffiths double vs. England in 2017 in recent years, we don't seem to score many of them sadly.

Any great examples you can remember from the 70's, 80's & 90's ?

1 hour ago, euan2020 said:

John Collins v Latvia in 96 ?  or was that a touch to the side ?

Aye, it was laid off to him as a dummy, he then turned and shot himself. Good goal. Auld Broon had a few of them they obviously worked on 👍🏼

21 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Hang on did Faddy not score a free kick in a friendly vs. Estonia in 2004 or was that just a shot during play from outside the box ?

Open play. Right foot shot into the bottom right corner from the edge of the box. 

8 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Against Macedonia, 2013? It wasn’t Anya as he got the winner with a side footer on the bye/six-yard line

I don’t believe in google for these types of things so shall return to this thread when I remember the answer 

Ahem, the answer is in the OP............

On 2/6/2019 at 11:44 PM, ceudmilefailte said:

Thanks for that just watched in on YouTube, the Lorimer and Rioch  military two step. Was sure Lorimer got one against Brazil in 74 but can't find it anywhere

Do you mean in that game that finished 0 - 0? ;)

I'd stop looking if I was you.

He had a couple of great shots in that game as did Davie Hay but no goals, unfortunately. 

6 hours ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Against Macedonia, 2013? It wasn’t Anya as he got the winner with a side footer on the bye/six-yard line

I don’t believe in google for these types of things so shall return to this thread when I remember the answer 

Anya scores the first in a 2-1 win. Maloney’s late free kick was the winner as the OP says 👍🏼