Ross Greer vs Pierce Morgan - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Ross Greer vs Pierce Morgan

44 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Douglas Bader and Guy Gibson were two utterly repellent individuals. A pair of snobbish bullies with racist views and who despised the working classes

This is far too harsh verging on utter pish

My knowledge of Bader is based on Reach for the Sky with Kenneth More and he comes across as a pain in the arse but none of us can even comprehend what he went through and was able to achieve

"Coming across as "Snobbish Bullies" can be put down to a few things

Service discipline in those days was harsh right through all the forces - and for good reason

Gibson was a bit of an oddball - if he was around today he would probably be diagnosed as a bit of a sociopath. He was like that all through his life and a lot of it was due to his upbringing - his parents separated early and his mother became an alcoholic and beat him and his siblings

Basing him as a rascist because of the name he gave his dog is also not fair - these things were acceptable and unthought of in those days

What Gibson did on the Dambusters raid was fucking phenomenal and i doubt anyone else could have done the same

He had to be a sociopath to not only attack the Dam but to go in again as a decoy to the other bombers twice at the Mohne

Just as an aside, there was talk of a new dambusters film few years back with eddie izzard being involved ; the dog was to be renamed digger ( as name was mentioned many times during film)

we can look forward to remakes in the future of the great escape as a rehabilitation workshop theatre group and bridge over the river kwai as a bamboo makeover project and rice bake offs

16 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

This is far too harsh verging on utter pish

My knowledge of Bader is based on Reach for the Sky with Kenneth More and he comes across as a pain in the arse but none of us can even comprehend what he went through and was able to achieve

"Coming across as "Snobbish Bullies" can be put down to a few things

Service discipline in those days was harsh right through all the forces - and for good reason

Gibson was a bit of an oddball - if he was around today he would probably be diagnosed as a bit of a sociopath. He was like that all through his life and a lot of it was due to his upbringing - his parents separated early and his mother became an alcoholic and beat him and his siblings

Basing him as a rascist because of the name he gave his dog is also not fair - these things were acceptable and unthought of in those days

What Gibson did on the Dambusters raid was fucking phenomenal and i doubt anyone else could have done the same

He had to be a sociopath to not only attack the Dam but to go in again as a decoy to the other bombers twice at the Mohne

I'm not.

It's based on Gibson's personal letters and diaries that have come to light in recent years. He held extreme conservative views. The working classes had to know their "place" or face punishment. He hated officers who came "from the ranks" and expressed disgust at the thought of US black soldiers being free to consort with white English women amongst other things.

Douglas Bader was a prominent member and frequent speaker of the quasi-fascist Monday Club during the sixties and seventies. Nothing more needs said there.

Gibson and Bader were a pair of cunts. And I don't fuck if that offends anyone.

Edited by ErsatzThistle

15 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

I'm not sure its hand wringing.  It is however demonstrating that there's  another side too Churchill, a side that very few people know about and certainly aren't taught about and perhaps don't want to know about. Greer's remarks were unjustified in my book and he came across naive and blinkered himself.  Anyone looking for a genuine assessment of Churchill is unlikely to find it in a debate between Greer and Morgan.

Agreed,  watched a clip of it and thought both of them came across poorly.

Churchill was a complex character and certainly no saint, but as a national leader at a time of great crisis he was without doubt effective.

21 hours ago, aaid said:

The key thing here is that Churchill was both a white supremacist racist *and* was the right man at the right time as wartime PM.  It's possible to be both at the same time you have to accept and reflect on both aspects of someone who was a very complicated individual. I wouldn't have him as personally as the greatest Briton of the 20th century, there are others with a similar level of achievement without anything close to the baggage that Churchill had.

What gets missed about Churchill is that up until the Second World War, his career had been a succession of major fuck ups and of course the UK electorate showed what they thought of him by voting him out of office when the war was won. 

I watched the "debate" and thought Greer probably had the best of it but let himself down badly by sitting smirking and giggling while Morgan was losing it, it betrayed his immaturity.   I've quite a bit of time for Patrick Harvie and although I don't agree with everything he says it's always worth listening to him. Greer though I think is one for the watching.  Someone on here had some very disparaging views on his role at Yes Scotland during the referendum, Scunnered maybe, I can't remember. 

He is only 24. At this stage of his career, most of what he does is about trying to get himself noticed.

On 1/31/2019 at 4:42 PM, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

Political allegiances aside , find it hard for anyone to take a kid seriously who flunked university 

the whole revisionist history thing is becoming a bit tiresome

what like Steve Jobs ?

I know plenty of folk with university degree's and they are idiots  - so hardly a marker for intelligence - University is a shoe in   

17 hours ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

What is like steve jobs ; a liberal arts college he attended

College crosses for University over there does it not ?

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/05/10/10-ultra-successful-millionaire-and-billionaire-college-dropouts.html

you will be telling me next i don't have a Unuiversity Degree cos it used to be Robert Gordon's Institute of Technology

24 minutes ago, euan2020 said:

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/05/10/10-ultra-successful-millionaire-and-billionaire-college-dropouts.html

you will be telling me next i don't have a Unuiversity Degree cos it used to be Robert Gordon's Institute of Technology

I went to the universaty of life. That was after the school of hard knocks. I may be only a poor farmer but doesnt make me daft. I can do thaat for myself.

2 hours ago, euan2020 said:

Nah not the same

i know rgit well too ; did night classes there and played for the amateur team at kepplestone , well before rgu days

i get your analogy; but my point was in voting for someone with no real life experience, purely on rhe colour of his tie

2 hours ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

Nah not the same

i know rgit well too ; did night classes there and played for the amateur team at kepplestone , well before rgu days

i get your analogy; but my point was in voting for someone with no real life experience, purely on rhe colour of his tie

fair enough- although i read he left uni rather than flunked it

4 hours ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

Nah not the same

Ex-RGIT myself and former Kepplestone resident.  RGIT was a bit of an anomaly at the time, I think it was only them and Paisley that weren't universities but awarded degrees.  It was very interesting model as all the courses were vocational.

There was a lot of talk when I was there of it becoming a uni but the general consensus was that for RGIT it was better to be a Central Institution so it never happened.  That all changed in the 1990s when every tinpot college in the country became a university.

Edited by aaid