Tennis 2019 - Page 21 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Tennis 2019

Hertsscot

3 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

The nottingham open is apparently on BBC online or iplayer. 

June 30th is the date for the Wimbledon draw - I have to admit I am more excited than ever for the draw, this will be my 3rd visit to Wimbledon but I have never had Centre Court tickets never mind for this far into the draw

Yep, I watched it on BBC Sport app yesterday, casting to my Chromecast. 

Brilliant that you have CC tickets to look forward to. What day you going?  

We’re still thinking about it but will probably try and go first week to try and see Murray. Might be first time for the queue unless we get lucky with last min tix. 

1 minute ago, AlfieMoon said:

Yep, I watched it on BBC Sport app yesterday, casting to my Chromecast. 

Brilliant that you have CC tickets to look forward to. What day you going?  

We’re still thinking about it but will probably try and go first week to try and see Murray. Might be first time for the queue unless we get lucky with last min tix. 

We have tickets for the Sunday - Mens and Womens 4th Round single.

I would advise doing the queue mate, me, my wife and my mum did it in 2017. it was great fun

53 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

We have tickets for the Sunday - Mens and Womens 4th Round single.

I would advise doing the queue mate, me, my wife and my mum did it in 2017. it was great fun

That’ll be a brilliant day for you to go. I always think that the 4th round is when it starts to heat up a bit as some of the early matches can be a bit one-sided. Still lots going on around the outer courts at that stage in the tournament as well.  

We went to the very last ‘manic Monday’ a few years ago which was 4th round (I think it was court 1 tix we had).  We got to grounds for gates opening. The play started on outside courts at 11am so we made a bee-line for Court3 which has an unreserved section despite it being a ticketed court. Managed to see Sviltonlia-Martic there before we went to C1 for it starting at 1pm. So that’s my tip if you want to squeeze in as much as you can. 

Cheers for the tip on the queue. Did you camp overnight or was it just an early morning start? 

Edited by AlfieMoon

2 hours ago, AlfieMoon said:

That’ll be a brilliant day for you to go. I always think that the 4th round is when it starts to heat up a bit as some of the early matches can be a bit one-sided. Still lots going on around the outer courts at that stage in the tournament as well.  

We went to the very last ‘manic Monday’ a few years ago which was 4th round (I think it was court 1 tix we had).  We got to grounds for gates opening. The play started on outside courts at 11am so we made a bee-line for Court3 which has an unreserved section despite it being a ticketed court. Managed to see Sviltonlia-Martic there before we went to C1 for it starting at 1pm. So that’s my tip if you want to squeeze in as much as you can. 

Cheers for the tip on the queue. Did you camp overnight or was it just an early morning start? 

I just realised it was 2016 we went via the queue - 2017 was via work. 2016 we queued from 3am but I wish we camped as it would have been more fun and we would have got better tickets. When we queued we got tickets to court 2 for this match below, to say it was entertaining would be an understatement 🤣

I walked around the whole place that day, watched Cilic for a while on a smaller court then a young Alex Zverev. 

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/jul/01/nick-kyrgios-beats-dustin-brown-wimbledon-second-round

in 2017 my boss took us to hospitality and Court 1 - watched Jamie Murray play in the latter round in the mixed doubles, we chatted to Judy Murray that day too

We have seen the better players in other tournaments - Murray v Wawrinka then Djokovic v Youzny at the US, Murray v Stepanek at the French, Murray twice at the 02 but can't recall opponent without looking it up.

Edited by vanderark14

8 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

I just realised it was 2016 we went via the queue - 2017 was via work. 2016 we queued from 3am but I wish we camped as it would have been more fun and we would have got better tickets. When we queued we got tickets to court 2 for this match below, to say it was entertaining would be an understatement 🤣

I walked around the whole place that day, watched Cilic for a while on a smaller court then a young Alex Zverev. 

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/jul/01/nick-kyrgios-beats-dustin-brown-wimbledon-second-round

in 2017 my boss took us to hospitality and Court 1 - watched Jamie Murray play in the latter round in the mixed doubles, we chatted to Judy Murray that day too

We have seen the better players in other tournaments - Murray v Wawrinka then Djokovic v Youzny at the US, Murray v Stepanek at the French, Murray twice at the 02 but can't recall opponent without looking it up.

Brilliant 👏  I’d love to see Kyrgios and all the carry on. 😂  

Was gutted to miss the chance last year when we went to SF day and Rafa had to pull out. Those two would have been 🍿

56 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

Murray wins the Nottingham Open. On to Queens now! 

In the ATP Live Rankings he is now up to 38 and needs to get to a minimum of No 33 after Queens. At present Andy is 79 points adrift of that mark. The points for Queens are as follows:-

1st Round 0 points

2nd Round 45 points

QF 90 points

SF 180 points

Runner-up 300 points

Winner 500 points

Murray is drawn to face no 7 seed De Minaeur in the First Round.

4 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

In the ATP Live Rankings he is now up to 38 and needs to get to a minimum of No 33 after Queens. At present Andy is 79 points adrift of that mark. The points for Queens are as follows:-

1st Round 0 points

2nd Round 45 points

QF 90 points

SF 180 points

Runner-up 300 points

Winner 500 points

Murray is drawn to face no 7 seed De Minaeur in the First Round.

Quarter finals is a big ask given the standard of player he'll be up against.

de Minaur won pretty comprehensively the other month when they met on clay I think but Murray seems happy with his game on grass this past couple of weeks like you say Craig. The quality he’s facing at Queens will be tough.

Murray doesn’t seem to have many easy wins these days so means that break points and tie breaks likely to be massive as he doesn’t have the same weaponry to put away opponents like before. 

One result went for Murray today - Humbert losing in 1R.  Another went against him, with JJ Shelton winning to increase the gap in points.  Both those players are ones he’s looking to overtake. 

Fingers crossed for tomorrow!

On 6/18/2023 at 2:11 PM, Caledonian Craig said:

By the way I say his aim is to get beyond 33 and not 32 because Rafa Nadal will not be playing Wimbledon.

Is Nadal in the top 32?  I looked earlier and couldn't see him in the top 100.  Both Kyrgios and Berettini have pulled out of their respective tournaments this week due to injury so that could be positive for Murray if neither could make Wimbledon.

1 hour ago, Fairbairn said:

Is Nadal in the top 32?  I looked earlier and couldn't see him in the top 100.  Both Kyrgios and Berettini have pulled out of their respective tournaments this week due to injury so that could be positive for Murray if neither could make Wimbledon.

You are correct. Rafa was in the top 32 but plummetted down the rankings after his points from winning the French Open last year fell off.

On 6/20/2023 at 6:43 PM, vanderark14 said:

Murray getting an absolute spanking here

No chance of a good wimbledon on this showing

Disappointing butr not unexpected as de Minaeur has always caused Murray problems. Also Murray has had a hectic last few weeks and has now pulled out of the Doubles at Queens citing fatigue as a reason. 

Missing out on seeding is not unexpected given how far back in the rankings he was. However, if the draw is kind then he could end up with just as favorable a draw as if he was seeded.